Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-30-11, 10:53 AM   #1
johnsoft349
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A couple questions about crankbaits

So, out of curiosity, I bought myself a strike-king crankbait lure the other day. I didn't have much time to try it, but I gave it 10 or so casts, and am amazed! the thing fooled me a couple of times when I brought it in...it looks very realistic in the water. It looks real, it moves like a fish, its got a rattle in it to garner attention, etc. The point is, it's one of the first lures I've ever been really confident in. It seems to me that if any lure can catch a fish, this one can.

So I'm here to ask some advice on how to best use this lure.

1) What species can I catch with it? How frequently do people land bass with these?

2) What kind of retrieve is going to be most effective? (I tried both a quick, steady retrieve and a more start/stop, side to side approach. both seem promising).

3) Can I fish this thing in heavy weeds? I think the trebles would get hung up too easily.

4) Any other general tips/thoughts.

Thanks guys!
johnsoft349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 06:37 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First, we need to know exactly the model and size of the crankbait you bought. They come in various diving depths with a couple different lip styles. All that makes a big difference in how you should use that particular crankbait. Otherwise a few quick answers.

You can catch just about any species that swims for the most part. I caught a bluegill one time on a #9 Rapala Shad Rap.
Vary your retrieve most of the time. While bass will hit a crankbait reeled in with a steady retrieve, you will have better results changing spped of retrieve, dirrection of retrieve. Stop and go on occation, give it a jerk, you get the idea. Mix it up a bit with your retrieve. Bouncing shallow running squarebill crankbaits off brush and logs can get good reaction strikes.
Heavy weeds is a no no, unless your fishing a crankbait that will dive no deeper than just at the tops of the weeds. Or a deeper diving model to work the weed edges. If you wish to work deep into the weeds there are many other lures far better designed for that purpose.

Last edited by keithdog; 06-30-11 at 06:44 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 06:46 PM   #3
johnsoft349
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the reply.

The crank i bought is a round-body, round-bill bait. It's colored like a shad (black back, silver/white belly, black spot on the gill), and is a strike-king "type 3" which is supposed to me a medium-deep diving lure. I believe they estimate the approximate max depth at 8'.
johnsoft349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 10:53 PM   #4
keithdog

Ok, that helps. I fish cranks like that often working them across the tops of deep submerged weedbeds, along weed edges. If your in an area say 5-7 foot deep with rock or gravel, you can grind it across the bottom stirring up debris which can catch a lot of bass.
Old 07-01-11, 01:19 AM   #5
Bassboss

You'll catch mainly bass on them, and pike, snake head, tailapia, gar, if they're in the water's you fish. You'll even catch big pan fish on em once in a while.

I like crankbaits around deeper water. They're awesome for banging around rocks and sticks. But can definitely get hung up. Experiment with different retrieve speeds.. but since they're a really good reaction bait, I like to go on the fast side of things. When you're fishing them around wood and rocks, knock it into them, and it will deflect off, when it does, let it pause a second and start cranking it back.

Around shallow grass, they're not my favorite, I prefer a spinnerbait because I can get down closer to fish and not get hung up. But if you're fishing deep weedlines, they can be great if you can rip it through the grass. Great time to get a good reaction bite.

The best tip I can give though is keep in contact with hard cover, rocks, and wood are prime. Keep that thing bumping along the bottom.
Old 07-01-11, 03:50 PM   #6
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Learning to use crank baits well will open many new doors to your arsenal. I've caught everything from panfish and catfish to Bass and on to Northern and Musky. Learning Deep cranks, lipless cranks, shallow and top water cranks all have a place in being a complete angler. Your eyes are opening my friend!
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 04:29 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

You can do a search for crankbait retrieves and find a lot of good information because I know this has been discussed several times. However everytime we discuss it some more good points are brought up so I am glad you started this thread.

Crankbaits are at their best when you can bang them off of something, generally the bottom. If the box said it will dive to 8' you need to assume they are talking about on probably 8lb line and a super long cast, most baits in reality won't dive to the depths they are advertised. I would say in real world fishing you will see 5-6' deep out of that bait. Anytime you think the fish are feeding on shad or baitfish then I would recommend it as a good time to throw the crankbait, and wind makes it even better. Fish it in water that you can hit bottom with the bait and get used to how it feels as it deflects off of the bottom and cover, most of your bites will come right after it deflects off of something. Experiement with different retrieve speeds to see what works best on that given day but keep in mind that you have to reel it fast enough to get the maximum depth out of it but if you reel it too fast it will also kill the action and prevent the bait from reaching it's potential as far as depth goes. Long cast will get the bait deeper than a short cast so use all of these factors to your advantage. When you need it to get deep then make a long cast, hold your rod tip down and crank it faster...........for a shallower retrieve then make a shorter cast, hold your rod tip higher, and crank it slower.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 01:04 PM   #8
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Having confidence with a certain bait is good. You'll tend to fish them with authority and proper presentation. Crank baits are great go to baits for reaction strikes on tough days on the water. Slow steady tip pulsing retrieves usually gets them to hammer it hard! Plus crankin is just plain fun to due! Low geared reel and a limber rod make it really fun. I always spend some time in a deep hole to chug some cranks through. Usually puts a few extra fish in the boat for me.

Both smallies and LMB will eat them. Perch, rock bass, pickerel and Pike. Really anything eating the minnows will take swings at crank baits. Yep even bluegills!

You can catch them around grass(more like over the grass), But a lipless bait riped out of the grass works better fo reaction strikes.
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 11:05 AM   #9
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree completely with keeping your crank in contact with cover/bottom. Line type and size is something to experiment with. Fluoro will get it a bit deeper, mono will keep it a bit higher and braid works great for ripping baits through grass. The smaller the diameter of the line the deeper it will run and vice versa. also keep in mind that most baits dont run true out of the box (pull to one side) you can tune them by bending the line tie one way or the other till it runs perfectly straight ( a little tweak goes along way). another thing to keep in mind is just because you are fishing in 6ft of water doesnt mean you shoudnt throw a deepdiver that goes to 15ft, by all means try this, make that dude root on the bottom. good luck on the crankin! oh yeah a glass or hybrid glass rod is a very good thing.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.