Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-13, 03:29 PM   #1
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default A morning of fun,

Also in my blog - http://www.alexmakkfishing.com/

I managed to get down the canal for around 6:30am this morning and I had a good few hours fishing, I saw plenty of action with the perch as they were chasing shoals of small fry, that were leaping out the water to avoid being breakfast. I clipped on one of Allan's yellow 3'' grubs and with just a nice steady retrieve I was getting takes, however I kept missing as the perch were just nipping at the tail. I moved along trying other coloured grubs and small fishhunter shads and managed to get into a little more action resulting in a confident perch taking a chartreuse flash grub.

The first Perch of the day,

I kept getting interest for a good 15min before it went quiet, so I walked further down and started flicking the grub along the far side towards some overhanging shrubs and vegetation. on the third cast I managed to get another perch roughly the same size as the first, this one fell for a pink grub, sadly as the grass was at a steep angle I didn't faff around getting a picture just unhooked the perch and released it back into the water.

Now at this stage its around 08:45 and I am starting to think of getting back home as the sun was rising and with a nice warmth to it. I had a dabble at on a stretch that usually guarantees a pike for me, I clipped on a orange AGM twintail grub as I had caught a small jack last Saturday on a local reservoir with a chartreuse flash, hoping that any pike around will also take a fancy to one. After a few casts catching onto the pads and other aquatic vegetation, I managed to get the lure in a clear area and with the fist turn of the handle it all felt solid and decided to pull back and bolt out into the open. after a good few lunges of freedom the pike was n the net, as I was getting the camera ready I asked a passer by for a little assistance with taking a photo and although the originals were not what I want, I have edited & cropped them down to a more better size and clearer image. You'll have to accept my apologies for the pike being covered in dead grass, it decided to do a death roll on the mat and onto the grass as I was chinning it whilst at the same time showing the passer by which button to press for the camera to take a picture. I'll estimate this one to be around 6lb any other guesstimates are welcome.

A pike

That was it for the day, I never had another follow or take, a couple of boaters has passed through and the sunshine began to warm my cheeks, as I was working my way back up to where I started, I stopped off at the local butchers for a scotch egg when I got back into town and managed to get back home by around 11:45am a quick bite and drink and a bad headache came, I flopped on top of my bed for a couple hours of sleep until this headache simmers away.

All in all I good few hours well spent,
Old 08-20-13, 07:20 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

nice fish and as always great report
Old 08-21-13, 11:08 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Another good report Mac. Always enjoy reading them and looking at the photos you post. Both the perch and pike look good. Looks like it's much cooler over there than it is here yet. A simple grub on a plain jig head can really produce. I'll have to try that again. I used to do that all the time and got away from it.
Old 08-22-13, 11:17 AM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice report,nice outing and fish.
Had to look up scotch egg,not something we are used to at least not I,will stick with ,my Irish coffee.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 10:36 AM   #5
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Grubs definitely seem to be producing for me recently, but at least I now they'll catch fish.

bearing in mind I was fishing in the early hours when the sun has not properly risen and with structures either side so i'm in the shade plus with the canal being channeled, most of the time it has a good breeze to it probably why it looks cooler, My more recent session saw me wearing nothing but a t-shirt and trousers as the sunshine was pleasant and hardly if any cold wind.

but also looking geographically you chaps have a vast amount of warm land, where as we are a little island surrounded by the North sea to the east, English channel to the south, Atlantic to the west and the Norwegian sea to the north. Usually when we get an easterly wind from the Baltic and Russia it means cold weather ahead.

anyway glad you like the post,

P.S Scotch eggs are very nice, especially from my local butchers as Chris make them himself using his meats and eggs.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.