Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-13, 06:21 PM   #1
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Pike vs a Fox Replicant

Also in my blog - www.alexmakkfishing.com

A quick session with Ian resulted with us on the banks of the R.Trent casting the heavier lures again, I myself was using the 40g-100g butch light I recently christened. There was wind with a cold chill to it blowing upstream and a bit of wave on the water. This did not put us off fishing, it did however make our session shorter as we didn't want to spend no more than a couple hours out fishing.

Yesterday I got my first Fox Rage Replicant, I chose the 7'' model weighing 90g with a trout colour/pattern since Gerrys didn't have the colour I originally wanted (Firetiger). I chopped the top single hook after hearing reports and reading the actual report of the hook piercing through the top if the pikes mouth and straight through the eye (Eric's Post can be found HERE ) After speaking to a fellow LAS member, I was reassured that the hook up wouldn't be affected by me chopping the single hook saying that most of the fish he has had have totally engulfed the lure. He was certainly right, after spending about four minutes at the first swim I managed to hook into a Jack, despite the fish being no more than 4lb the whole lure was swallowed whole. I have say I am pleased that I chopped the single hook yesterday, otherwise I think it would be awkward to unhook the lure from the fishes jaws. I'm pleased to say the Fox Replicants will be kept in the bucket. Whilst feeling soft they are also appear to be quiet durable I'm sure any tears or teeth marks can be welded with a flame, hot knife, good ventilation, and a steady hand.

After moving downstream a further 30 or so paces, me and Ian decided that the weather is getting the better of us, we decided to stop at the first swim where I managed the pike, a few minutes later Ian managed to connect onto a fish, but sadly it shook free as I grabbed at the net. We spent a further few more minutes there just for any last bits of interest. by around 6.50pm we decided to wrap up and head back to the car.

All in all a few hours nicely spent.
Old 10-10-13, 07:06 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The grass pike found in our southern waters are also called jacks,often however with enlarged heads and mostly teeth,or seemingly so.
See you use a net thought maybe you was gonna lip one of those suckers.
It is nice to have an outing with a friend and catch fish.
All jest aside I do enjoy your articles,sometimes im wondering what a bait is as not used to some brand names.Take it its a large wakebait have several myself but not much luck with them.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13, 08:29 AM   #3
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
The grass pike found in our southern waters are also called jacks,often however with enlarged heads and mostly teeth,or seemingly so.
See you use a net thought maybe you was gonna lip one of those suckers.
It is nice to have an outing with a friend and catch fish.
All jest aside I do enjoy your articles,sometimes im wondering what a bait is as not used to some brand names.Take it its a large wakebait have several myself but not much luck with them.

Any pike below 10lb here in the UK are usually called jacks, I'm yet to get a double figured fish but I hope to get one before the new year. Fish welfare over here is a big thing, but there are still people out there using mono straight through onto a lure, I guess you can imagine the rest if a pike get hold of the lure.

A net, tools and unhooking mat is always taken wherever I go, if I went to one of the LAS's fish-ins without a net, mat and tools I'd probably get lynched

We have several brands over here that you probably haven't heard of, such as 'FOX' they do a lot of tackle for most areas of fishing such as coarse fishing, carp fishing, sea fishing, predator fishing, and lure fishing and thats just under one name)
Old 10-12-13, 09:02 AM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

We do have northern pike and musky which do grow much larger.Chain pickeral or grass pike that is about the size they get in our more southern locations.
We also have a fox brand believe it was spinnerbaits they made.
What nets we use for larger northerns and or muskys resemble a sein between two poles.I did get one about same size out of Pickwick lake last dec,was in anothers boat or id have put in a spare livewell,state of Tn has no grass pike record,yet I caught one in a lake shared by two other states in Tn water(state line island).It was a ball to have on and in but was in a Bass T.Hit a lazereye(rattletrap type bait)out of the still existing grass balls.30lb EVO braid direct.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.