Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-11, 10:20 PM   #1
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Top water rod

I've never used a rod that was made specifically for top water, but have been looking at some Falcon Rods lately and have been thinking about getting one. How much of a difference does it make?

That rod is 6'9" light action with an extra fast tip is that a pretty typical top water rod?
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 11:27 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am not much of a fan of real fast actions in a top water rod. I prefer the Mod-Mod Fast. It seems that fish that hit on top of the water tend to come up and shake more. Maybe it is me, but more than one hooked on a worm or a bottom bait. I guess since they are already up there, it might be their only defense. But with that said, it seems like the slower resonance in the slower action rods helps absorb the shakes better and lands more fish in the boat. The rod you are describing would be for drop shots and finesse apps IMO.

Also a main question would be what are you mainly wanting to throw?

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 05-15-11 at 02:54 AM.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 02:41 AM   #3
Grant the angler
BassFishin.Com Member

that sounds like a great rod for top water but also take into consideration g.loomis they may be a lil more expensive but definantly worth the money
Grant the angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 07:30 AM   #4
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

There are several rod makers that have a rod specifically suggested for topwater use. Mine is an OLD AllStar Zell Rowland TWS that is the best topwater rod I've ever used.
Old 05-15-11, 07:57 AM   #5
lilmule

To me a med or med heavy in a moderate tip action works well on top,not a light action.
And their are different types of topwater,one throws a frog over veggies and even a heavy action,or med heavy but with a med fast tip.
Much depends upon the size of the fish targeted 12 in fish one can use a light action,but a larger fish or a different species (like striper)would make one regret that.
Tip should be limber and forgiving,the rest should be able to boat flip whatever is normally on the end of it. Up to 3-4lbs.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 09:27 AM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.s.17 View Post
I've never used a rod that was made specifically for top water, but have been looking at some Falcon Rods lately and have been thinking about getting one. How much of a difference does it make?

That rod is 6'9" light action with an extra fast tip is that a pretty typical top water rod?
This is a perfect rod for popper style baits with light super sharp hooks (i.e. Iovino Splash It's or Rico's).

If you are going to throw something heavier, you'll need to have a little beefier rod.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 09:29 AM   #7
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
To me a med or med heavy in a moderate tip action works well on top,not a light action.
And their are different types of topwater,one throws a frog over veggies and even a heavy action,or med heavy but with a med fast tip.
Much depends upon the size of the fish targeted 12 in fish one can use a light action,but a larger fish or a different species (like striper)would make one regret that.
Tip should be limber and forgiving,the rest should be able to boat flip whatever is normally on the end of it. Up to 3-4lbs.
I have caught several Striper on my L/MF popping rod with no problem whatsoever. Some up to 14 lbs.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 10:21 AM   #8
Tavery5

For me it is hard to see 1 rod being the best for all topwater situations. Topwater fishing can be a variety of things. You can throw baits like spooks that have good weight to them and use a couple of trebble hooks, or you could throw a buzzbait that has a single hook, frogs, poppers the baits are endless. You also have to think about the type of cover that you will be fishing in. Is it going to frogs in the pads, is it going to be buzzbaits in open water, poppers to isolated cover. In my opinion all of these things determine what topwater rod is going to be right for you.

For example, if you were fishing a buzzbait in open water, you have a single hook bait with little to no cover, maybe a med hev power rod with a fast tip would work well in this situation, you would be making long casts and need the tip action to drive a single hook though a gill plate or roof of the mouth at long distances. If you were throwing a zara spook in the same situation you might want to use the same med hvy power but look at something with a mod or mod fast action, you will now be setting trebble type hooks, and a fast or extra fast action might be a little too much, causing you to pull small trebble hooks out of the fishes mouth. Cover, if you are fishing frogs in the slop you will probably want a rod with more power, something like a heavy power to pull them up through the moss, slop, pads, you will be making long casts with a frog, so you will need a faster tip to to set the single or double type hooks found on frogs.

I don't believe any one rod will cover all aspects of topwater fishing, but if you know what you will be doing most of the time, you should be able to dial in on one that will suit your needs better than the others.

Other things to consider are rod length, line type, and gear ratio, all these things work together to make a well balanced setup.

Hopefully this give you some things to consider, and you will find the right rod for you.
Old 05-15-11, 11:46 AM   #9
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks Tavery that answered about every question I could have about top water rods!
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.