Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-15-05, 06:56 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default For those of you that dont like Superbraid

Thought I would throw this one out there for those of you that dont like the braids. TRY THIS. I have been using braid for years and only didnt like the fact that it would sink when I am fishin in the jungles. A friend told me to get some fly line wax and apply it to the braid. IT WORKS! I did the whole reel full and not only does the line come throught the weeds and pads better and doesnt sink it quiets the line down and casts further and does NOT injure the guides. Being a custom rod builder I am always trying to figure out ways to make a rod more bullet proof and to extend the longevity and this is one of the best tricks so far.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 06:30 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've done candle wax on the first ten feet or so, but hadn't thought about fly line wax. Great idea!
Old 08-15-05, 07:45 PM   #3
zooker

yeah use mono .... i have only one reel spooled up with braid and i use it rarely.

zooker
Old 08-15-05, 10:44 PM   #4
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Braids to expensive for me when i can get triple of mono for half price of braid
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-05, 05:56 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Well braid definatley has a place in my box for the type of cover I fish and the size of fish that I sometimes read SOMETIMES lol can catch. I wont ever go to braid when crankin or topwater or spinnerbaiting but plastics and jigs and the like I will more than likly be throwing on braid.
Old 08-16-05, 07:26 AM   #6
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
I wont ever go to braid when crankin or topwater or spinnerbaiting but plastics and jigs and the like I will more than likly be throwing on braid.
I used to be the EXACT same way, but have changed my mind. I use it for topwater, the wax does work, I haven't used it for a long time though. I saw Hank Parker touting it one time on a show, and ran out and bought some LOL
Anyway for those who have a bow, the Wax for your string will also work well. I use Fireline(Fused Line), PowerPro(Braid), and now Spiderwire Stealth(Braid). I use this same line for spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits. I still fish these baits around heavy cover, and they are quick moving baits generally for me. I don't like to slow roll the spinnerbaits very much. I do prefer Mono, usually Trilene XL 12lb with twitching or slow moving topwaters, such as Jitterbug, Spooks, Pop-R's. I use Braid/Fused line for cranking nowadays too. It can help on getting your bait deeper, and again it's more of a reaction type bait, but again I fish these in heavy cover too. Since I fish heavy cover as much as possible, it helps me keep a lot of my cranks, since I just pull up the tree with it It took me awhile to get used to the superlines with cranks, kept yanking it out of their mouths. But a good rod will make a ton of difference, and you need to just LEARN to use it with less force, and set your drag a lot looser. I had to learn how to use frogs, and other baits, it was just another learning curve on the cranks, and superlines. Anyway I'm not a fan of the line visibilty makes any difference(Most of you know that), but I use the superlines becasue I hate loosing fish, and it's 99.9 percent of the time MY fault now, since I can't blame the line for breaking anymore

Lizards
Old 08-16-05, 07:50 AM   #7
basscatcher03
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to basscatcher03

laser i might just try that i dont know tho
Old 08-16-05, 09:28 AM   #8
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

How Much More Does It Help The Casting Because Thats The Main Reason I Dont Use Braid. I Love It For All Of Its Other Capabilities. I Just Hate The Casting.
Old 08-16-05, 10:39 AM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassthumb32
How Much More Does It Help The Casting Because Thats The Main Reason I Dont Use Braid. I Love It For All Of Its Other Capabilities. I Just Hate The Casting.
I don't have any problems with it casting. Not sure what problems you are talking about. The rope like feel?

Lizards
Old 08-16-05, 10:45 AM   #10
bassthumb32

No It Just Doesnt Seem To Be As Smooth or cast as far.
Old 08-16-05, 03:47 PM   #11
lizardsrule

All Braids, and fused line have what I call a breakin period. The coating on the line will wear offf, and make it a heck of a lot more limp, and workable. I honestly don't have any distance issues with it. I prefer Fireline 20lb(8lb diameter) on spinning reels, and Powerpro/Stealth 30lb on baitcasting reels. I suggest giving it another try.

454ss,

I think if you re-figure the cost it isn't more exsensive. Since it will last about 10 times longer than mono. Also why would you want to skimp on line? It and your hook are the most important items when it comes to hooking a fish, and keeping it. I buy good hooks, and good line. Neither wear out near as fast as the inexspensive line.

Lizards
Old 08-16-05, 05:52 PM   #12
bassthumb32

Thanks Lizards Ill Try It Again.
Old 08-16-05, 06:46 PM   #13
zooker

i have been getting some really good distances from my braid using weightless plastic baits..

zooker
Old 08-17-05, 06:27 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Lizards

You hit the nail on the hid. The exact reason that I dont use braid for topwaters,cranks,spinnerbaits is I have a hairtrigger strike and one that will rock a 18ft boat. Know before anyone starts to chew my butt out I know 75% of the time a hookset like this isnt necessary its just hard to break the habit. If I could find a GOOD rod that absorbs more of the shock of the hookset where I am not taking the lure from the fish I would expand the use of the braid to topwaters and cranks. So what I am asking is ......Does or has anyone use or have used a GOOD lightweight rod that is forgiving enough to use the braids. I know that the e-glass rods are pretty good at this but I like a very light weight rod and most of the e-glass rods I have found are somewhat heavier than a graphite rod. Makes a difference after fishing 8 or 10 hrs.
Old 08-17-05, 11:52 AM   #15
Stick-em
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
I don't have any problems with it casting. Not sure what problems you are talking about. The rope like feel?

Lizards
Lizzard,

He's talking about the rope like feel when you hook into an old "sunken" Tire, you can pull just about anything up with gloves or a broom handle with braided...

Stick~em to it!!!!!!!!!
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-05, 12:06 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Lizards

You hit the nail on the hid. The exact reason that I dont use braid for topwaters,cranks,spinnerbaits is I have a hairtrigger strike and one that will rock a 18ft boat. Know before anyone starts to chew my butt out I know 75% of the time a hookset like this isnt necessary its just hard to break the habit. If I could find a GOOD rod that absorbs more of the shock of the hookset where I am not taking the lure from the fish I would expand the use of the braid to topwaters and cranks. So what I am asking is ......Does or has anyone use or have used a GOOD lightweight rod that is forgiving enough to use the braids. I know that the e-glass rods are pretty good at this but I like a very light weight rod and most of the e-glass rods I have found are somewhat heavier than a graphite rod. Makes a difference after fishing 8 or 10 hrs.
I have a ST Croix "Crankbait" rod, that is 6'6" Medium, with Moderate action. Until I found this rod, I was in the same boat. I Love this rod, and it only cost me $90 and I won't go fishing without it. I don't have the exact model# here at work, I'll get it from home tonight.

Lizards
Old 08-17-05, 11:34 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Lizards

ST Croix model# PGC66MM

This is an Awesome rod for me anyway. Here's a link to it on the St Croix web site.
http://www.stcroixrods.com/rodselector/default.asp

It was listed for $80 on their site. It has to be one of my alltime favorite rods, and I hae a lot more money, and I mean a lot more in some of my other rods.

Lizards
Old 08-18-05, 08:44 PM   #18
1FASTLASER

I really do appreciate the reply. I will definatley check out that model St. Croix rod. Thats one of the reasons that I do enjoy this board as much as I do. People looking to help and/or give advise to others. I'll let you know how I like the rod in a week or so. Called Cabelas today and got one on the way. Now If I can get itin without the wife knowing. Hey I got it its a rod I gotta repair for a friend. Snicker Snicker. Like she is dumb enough to fall for that 1 again.
Old 08-18-05, 08:55 PM   #19
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

for all those who think mono is cheaper.......think about it in the long run. last i checked, reb had 3 year old braid spooled up and still performing great. now, paying what? $3 for mono? and $5-6 for braid? how many times will you have to buy more mono in 3 years? alot right? i think so, unless you find some great way to keep mono from breaking and keep it good from regular wear and tear. so pretty much in the long run you will probally be paying more for mono.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.