Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-06-06, 10:48 PM   #1
aspiringangler
BassFishin.Com Member

Default monofiliment leaeder on braided line

I was recently told that by tying a monofiliment leader onto my 10# braided line that my lure presentations may recieve more attention. Does anyone have any imput on this or is tying with my braided line okay. It is green braided line.( maybe all braided line is, i am not sure) I am worried that adding another knot to the mix is a recipe for a lost fish?
aspiringangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-06, 11:02 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

This is a judgement call. I have used flourocarbon leaders with braid before, and generally I do think it is one more knot to fail, one more complication to add to the rig and whether or not the you catch more fish is somewhat questionable. Braid in and of itself will work sometimes in all but the clearest water, I've gotten by using 30 lb powerpro while fishing small clear streams for smallmouth. There are instances where I think braid may be too visible, in which case I just use all flouro-carbon, no leaders ect. You may ought to look into that if you are going to use 10 pound braid. Are you fishing the great lakes, or isn't the water pretty clear up there? Braid excels when you need to wrench fish out of heavy cover. Fishing out in the open its not as nessesary, the sensitivity can be a plus and its durable but you may do better to switch to flourocarbon.

I'm sorry if thats all confusing, there just isnt a yes/no answer. Its just a judgement call, and your experience will and should be the final arbitor.
Old 10-06-06, 11:10 PM   #3
aspiringangler
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you for the help, I am fishing a reletively small natural lake that can be fairly weedy. it is right smack in the middle in the clarety factor. To me it seems pretty visible, but i am not sure whether the fish see it as i do. I do know that i have no idea how to splice a leader onto the braided line. I love the added sensitivty of the braided line but of course would gladly give it up if it meant more fish in the livewell.
aspiringangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-06, 11:11 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't, but like WTL said, it is a judgement call.
Old 10-07-06, 07:04 AM   #5
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I do this all the time! I learned it from a good friend of mine who has been fishing forever and he uses this for Redfish and trout in the salt. Take about a 2-3ft. 25-20lb. mono or fluro leader and tie it to your braid with a uni-uni knot, IT will NEVER fail if its tied right and to mess it up is super hard.

Heres the link to the knot
http://www.inshore-fishing.com/resou...shingknots.php
a few knots down is the one

http://www.powerpro.com/using/uniuni.asp
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-06, 09:19 PM   #6
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

not needed unless you can see 20 feet deep like in lake george ny.you can alternate black marker on your braid every 6 inches with the normal green as this will camo it a bit.i have no problems catching fish on braid and i use 50 and 65 pound sufix braid.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.