Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-16-05, 01:30 PM   #1
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Motor problem.What could cause this?

I went and looked at a boat yesterday. 17' Alumacraft with a 125horse merc. Nice condition. Asking 1000.00.

Problem with motor. It was at a local marina, so i got to see what it ran like.

It starts fine, idols fine. However, when It goes on plane, it bogs down and dies. What would cause this? Is it expensive to fix. Is the boat worth it?

Thanks

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 01:41 PM   #2
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Motor problem.What could cause this?

could be the gas line is sucking in air from a dry rot crack, the bulb can be bad.
the thing is it can also be carbine build up which is a head tear down to fix. what year is the moter?

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 02:06 PM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

definitely a fuel problem.a fuel pump or filter.IMO.
i had to replace both fuel pumps on my suzuki,it was doing almost the same thing,but it was hard to start and didn't idle too good.
sounds like when it is under a load it starves for fuel.
check the fuel line like zooker said,and the primer bulb.but i'll say it's most likely the pump or filter.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 04:13 PM   #4
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=zooker link=board=Boats;num=1105893000;start=0#1 date=01/16/05 at 11:41:15]

what year is the moter?

zooker[/quote]

DUH! I forgot to ask. Man, I am an idiot. :-/

Fuel. Kinda what I thought. Will it be more costly to fix than the boat is worth? They have it priced that way because of the motor problem.

thanks
Charles
Old 01-16-05, 04:37 PM   #5
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

the fuel pumps for my suzuki were about $80 ea.simple to change.don't know what that particular pump would cost,but i don't think it could be over $100.you could probably change it yourself.
you know it can't be the carbs,it runs good till under a load.carbon buildup would make it run bad at all speeds i would think.so,,the problem has to be fairly simple.
it's probably not a coil,because that would affect all speeds,but wouldn't cause it to die out as long as i has multiple coils.
one other thing that is easy to check is the water pump.make sure it's pi**ing real good,check it while on plane.if the engine is overheating it could cause it to shut down.i've had that problem on an old e-rude.would start again when it cooled down,then die again when it got hot.
i don't think this would be an expensive problem to fix.
the boat may be a real bargain.what year is it?
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 04:46 PM   #6
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

BOSS,
Sounds to me like it is starving for fuel for some reason. I think I would change out the fuel filter, hose and bulbs and then try it again. One thing I might mention, Ask how long has it been since the boat has ran. It might not hurt to drain the gas out of it and replace with fresh gas. Just cut the hose off at the carb and put it into a bucket lower than the bottom of the boat, then pump the bulb until the gas starts siphoning out. Siphon out all the gas and replace the hose/bulb and filter, then re-try the boat again.
If it still runs rough, the carbs may be gummed up from not having stabilizer in the tank. You should be able to get the carbs cleaned for around $125.00 if they need it.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 06:01 PM   #7
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

You need to find out what year that rig is. $1000.00 for a 17 foot boat, with a 125 sounds REAL low unless the boat is (1) real old, (2) totally trashed, (3) the engine is blown (4) it's stolen. Frankly even if the engine is blown, $1000.00 bucks sounds low for a 17 foot boat that's in any kind of shape at all. Or did you meant $10,000.00
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 06:33 PM   #8
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah. I think i am gonna leave this one alone. Talked to them a few minutes ago. They seem to have forgotten what year it is. HMM. Something is rotten in Denmark. Funny feeling about it. Thanks guys.

Charles
Old 01-18-05, 10:53 AM   #9
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That is probably the best thing to do. My buddy had a motor that was doing the exact same thing. It would crank and idle fine. Low speed, it would run fine, but once he opened it up and got plained off, it was bog down and die. We did everything that we could figure out to this thing and still couldn't get it to run right. We changed the fuel pump, did a complete tune up, and even rebuilt the carb. None of this helped, and no marina could give us any idea what was causing it. He finally traded his boat and motor in for something newer.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 01:08 PM   #10

i had the same problem with a boat i had. not to say this is the problem but is was nothing more than the bulb leaking down.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.