Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-20-05, 11:27 AM   #1
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to YoungFisher678
Default Question about lights

I have noticed that some guys mount "spot lights on the nose of the boat. Could someone offer some explanation for this, I have fished once at night for bass and I gues they would have been nice on the way back to the landing. I am very curiouse about this idea. Any ideas?
YoungFisher678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 12:00 PM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: Question about lights

MWAYBIN.
There are two possiblilities. Either they are fishing in brushy areas with lots of stumps to navigate, or they are fishing with bank lines or trot lines and need the spot to see thier lines.
I have fished in several lakes that have brush and stumps in some areas. This makes it necessary for me to put a spotter in the front pole seat with a hand held spotlingt to give me directions and s-l-o-w-l-y navigate the area. (NOT recommended)

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 02:45 PM   #3
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

These are mounted more like running lights. Go to "whats everyone got for a boat" fourth page and look at the pic of the ranger you will notice the light under the nose.
Old 01-20-05, 04:14 PM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

MWAYBIN,
You should probably have sent R-461` a message and asked him, it's his boat! I would still say it is probably for fishing brushy or stump filled areas.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 04:22 PM   #5
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah, i sent him an e-mail.
Old 01-20-05, 08:03 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have a set up of 2 off road lights on my jon boat that i duck hunt out of plus a remote controled spot light. i have seen this type light before on boats that fish cat fishing tourny's.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 08:12 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

My sister and family have a runabout with those lights. I was told they are for docking. You could use them for other things, I would want mine to be black lights of course 8)

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 10:08 PM   #8
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

Since ya'll are talking about my boat, here's why I run them.

In the area that I live we have a lot of night tournaments and I really enjoy night fishing. You don't have to deal with boat traffic, personal watercraft and the likes. They are used for navigating when running down the river and they help when loading the boat on the trailer.

For those who has never tried night fishing, you really don't know what you're missing!

Anthony
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 07:37 AM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Ranger_461VS link=board=Boats;num=1106231248;start=0#7 date=01/20/05 at 20:08:59]Since ya'll are talking about my boat, here's why I run them.

In the area that I live we have a lot of night tournaments and I really enjoy night fishing. You don't have to deal with boat traffic, personal watercraft and the likes. They are used for navigating when running down the river and they help when loading the boat on the trailer.

For those who has never tried night fishing, you really don't know what you're missing!

Anthony[/quote]

I agree with you on the night fishing. Have you changed yours over to Black Lights? With a little flourescent line it's pretty awesome.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 02:25 PM   #10
United_Bass_._Com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to United_Bass_._Com

On my home lake if there is water its plenty deep enough to run your boat so brushy water isn't the reason some have lights on there boat. Our lake levels rise and drop often and during the summer months there is alot of boat traffic. Logs and all other type of junk gets washed into the lake. So you need a light to see whats floatin so you make it back to the ramp with your lower unit, or your motor, or even your fishin buddy.

You also have to be able to see all those drunk vacationers that sit in the middle of the lake with no lights on.

A guy that was in our local bass club, hit a run about boat broadside in the dark cause they didnt have there lights on. He went right across the boat and the motor went just in front of the dash board on the run about.

Glad to say no one was hurt but it scared him so much that he stopped fishing trnys and pretty much stopped fishing all together.

So thats one reason to have lights. IMO though i think they make your boat look bad. So get a spot light and have your buddy to hold it.
United_Bass_._Com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 06:33 PM   #11
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

Lizards,
I don't use those lights for fishing, just running down the river. However I do use blacklights for fishing. I use the Stan Sloan Zorro models. What makes these different than the other brands is that they don't have a cord with the big plug that goes into a cigarette lighter type outlet.

These have a plug mounted directly to the light base. The plug is the type that's on the end of a guitar cord and the outlet is mounted on top of the side rail of the boat. I have 2 outlet jacks mounted on both sides of the boat so I can have a light and my son can have one as well. That way instead of fumbling around with wires at night I can just pick up the light and move it from one side of the boat or the other. They also stay in place while running down the river.

Bass Pro Shops sells them for around $135 each but I think that they are well worth it.

Anthony
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.