Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-27-06, 08:25 PM   #1
planxdownfall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to planxdownfall
Default Berkley fire line

has any one tried fire line? i was thinking about getting some, should I?
planxdownfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 08:33 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

i dont know about that kind of line, but im never getting cajun red ever again!. i spooled my reel up, and didnt catch a fish on that one reel for 3 trips! only cuaght fish on the stren mono. im stickin with that
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 08:46 PM   #3
planxdownfall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to planxdownfall

i want to get a baitcasting rod too, what line should i get? for mainly fishingsenkos, but also a little bit of topwater
planxdownfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 09:02 PM   #4
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planxdownfall View Post
i want to get a baitcasting rod too, what line should i get? for mainly fishingsenkos, but also a little bit of topwater
12 pound test would be good if you were using one rod for topwater and senkos
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 09:06 PM   #5
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

i agree w/ mack.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 09:23 PM   #6
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Fireline is very strong, and durable line. It's my second choice of line next to Powerpro. The big key is watch your fingers it will slice them LOL. You will need to have what I call a break in Period. It has like a wax coating on it, that will flake off as you use it. The more you use it the better it gets IMO. I would reccomend it highly, usually it's on my spinning reels. For example 20lb Fireline has the diameter of 8lb mono.

Lizards
Old 09-27-06, 10:02 PM   #7
zooker

i normally don't use fire line as i palm the reel. but my left handed reels i don't have this problem.. i really need to use it a tad more any ways

zooker
Old 09-27-06, 10:27 PM   #8
ToPwAt'R GuY

Its a decent overall line. I dont use it often though.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 11:50 PM   #9
91W
BassFishin.Com Member

It is good line, however as with all types it has disadvantages. The biggest and the reason I quit useing it exclusively was abrasion resistance, IT HAS NONE!!! Other than that it is good. I have some spooled up still but it is used when I do not have to worry about a line having abrasion resistance.
91W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 10:58 AM   #10
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Well shoot I feel dumb now I just bought some yesterday.
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 09:25 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91W View Post
The biggest and the reason I quit useing it exclusively was abrasion resistance, IT HAS NONE!!!
I guess I don't understand your problem. If you're talking about rocks, or mussels, I would like to know what line does have that much abrasion resistance. Mono or flourocarbon, or even a combo of them may not get frayed as easily there, but it will still knick and gouge the line. If your talking about wood or vegetation, then we will have to agree to disagree.

Lizards
Old 09-28-06, 10:09 PM   #12
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I've only used two types of braid, Fireline and Stealth, and Stealth beats it hands down IMO. The Stealth took about two trips to settle down, while the Fireline is still stiff. The Stealth also seems to hold up better to me, the Fireline frays a lot, fishing in the same areas.

The Stealth is also cheaper, I'm satisfied
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-06, 01:39 AM   #13
91W
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
I guess I don't understand your problem. If you're talking about rocks, or mussels, I would like to know what line does have that much abrasion resistance. Mono or flourocarbon, or even a combo of them may not get frayed as easily there, but it will still knick and gouge the line. If your talking about wood or vegetation, then we will have to agree to disagree.

Lizards
It was more vegetation, For some reason I had more problems this year than anyother year. Switched to P-Line and other Flouro and co-polymers and have had no problems. Like I said it was something new this year. I was changing line every tournament and still haveing problems with the fireline. I still use Braided line though because it does have it's place. I like it with topwater since it floats number one.

I am in no way saying that P-Line or others like it is the ultimate answer. If there was one line/rod/reel/lure combination that caught big fish all the time I would not be out thousands of dollars and would be bored. It is as much a personal preference as anything else. I learned a long time ago to agree to disagree with other anglers. I rub it in as much as I take it when you whup em at way in as when you get whupped yourself. It is part of what makes it a great sport and keeps all of us going back every year to the water.

I fish with so many different people every week and I see what is working for them and have been known to try what I was ribbing them for. I hated spinner baits till I got a regular partner that used the hell outta them and realized I just never learned to fish them properly. What worked for me today when I prefished a lake for sat may not work sat.. So what I am saying is you are right because what I have found is not right for me may be what you swear by and it works for you. That is why forums like this exist. To take all the input and formulate your own answers. I did not want to come off as having the only answer and apologize if I did so.

Also Braided line does not have the abrasion resistance as mono's and the like, and Fireline being a twisted line and not a true braid is IMO the worst.
Old 09-29-06, 07:04 PM   #14
lizardsrule

FIRELINE IS NOT BRAIDED, it's a FUSED line. They are different animals. I have more or less moved most of my line to Powerpro which is Braid. Not that I dislike Fireline, but I like Powerpro better Anyone can use the line they feel most confident in, I think confidence will help more than anything for fishing IMO. And for the record if and when I use a copolymer line it's P-Line 20lb. I just can't get back into mono for nothing

Lizards
Old 09-29-06, 11:45 PM   #15
91W
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
I just can't get back into mono for nothing

Lizards
LOL Mono is like going from my F150 back to a Chevy, Why would I want to do that!
Old 09-30-06, 02:20 PM   #16
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

The fireline I just bought seems to be pretty noisy go through my rods guides. has anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-30-06, 02:57 PM   #17
dampeoples

It's that coating they use on it
Old 09-30-06, 03:59 PM   #18
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
It's that coating they use on it

Really it sounds horrible. I thought it was my reel at first but discovered it was the line. Is it gonna hurt the fishing?
Old 09-30-06, 04:05 PM   #19
dampeoples

I doubt it, but I'm not gonna use any more of this stuff, I just don't like it overall
Old 09-30-06, 04:42 PM   #20
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91W View Post
LOL Mono is like going from my F150 back to a Chevy, Why would I want to do that!
because ford may go out of business!!!ROFLMAO!!!
Old 09-30-06, 05:04 PM   #21
91W
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
because ford may go out of business!!!ROFLMAO!!!

UHHHH, UHHHH, UHHH.....Damnit!

Yeah, but you will still see more of them there Fords on the road than those Dodges. (that was in my best 5yo my dad can kick your dad's a**)
Old 09-30-06, 08:10 PM   #22
Vabass22

Stren superbraid, works well for me. Have never used fireline, but I do like Berkeleys products (some) and thik it wuold be decent.....
Superbraid also is 30lb for the diameter of 8lb, and I use it for soft plastics, as it is very sensitive.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-06, 08:55 PM   #23
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite64a View Post
Really it sounds horrible. I thought it was my reel at first but discovered it was the line. Is it gonna hurt the fishing?

Cast it about 100 times, and then see how it is It won't hurt the fishing unless you slice you hand with it LOL. The coating will wear off(or you could scrub it off if you want). About every single Superline out there will make noise, especially if you are used to mono. However they are SUPERLINES, and can help make a difference. I honestly don't even hear it anymore. My ears are attuned to tha beautiful music Even after the coating wears off it will make some noise. If you can't get past it then switch back. But I think you find it worth the effort

Lizards
Old 09-30-06, 09:05 PM   #24
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I had spiderwire fusion on there which I loved, but I didn't have much of it So I had to find more and to my dissmay, I can't find it here in VA anywhere. So I went with what looked like the closest thing to it I could find which was the Berkley fire line crystal. I only use mono for when I am fishing for bluegill or crappie I wouldn't consider using mono ever again for bass.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.