Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-09, 05:12 PM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default 7/10/09 Trip

Made a dark side trip last night to a state lake. The fishing was slow, but we had a good time. We got on the water about 12:30 and ended about 7 this morning. I put 3 in the boat, but my buddy got the egg. But he was going for the big fish with the swim bait. I would definately have to work my way up in confidence to throw that beast of a bait all day long. I think it was a Rat Slammer or something like that. But I got to give it to him, he was after the big bite and hung with it all night. But we put in and I started with the black/yellow Spro popper frog. I got a swipe from the get-go at the boat but that was it after that for the frog. I was also throwing a Yellow Magic popper. I don't normally purchase the high dollar baits, but a buddy offshore told they had been tearing them up around his house on them. And I figured I had been offshore for 3 weeks, Big Poppa deserved a little gift, hahahaha:

This bait has an awesome action with a popper and walk the dog action and a nice paint job on it too.
Anyways, I couldn't buy a hit after the first swipe for about 2 hours. We made a run up a finger and struck out and came out and I suggested we head to the dam end. On the way, a little breeze blew in about the time I crossed a point in the boat, so I stopped the boat and suggested we throw a time or 2 and then head to the dam. My first cast with Berkley 10" worm produced a nice strike, but just a bump and run, along with the 2nd and 3rd cast. So I switched to Zoom trick work and slid the pegged weight up a 1.5'. I got another hit, but they were being finicky. Then my buddy bent over on a soft hollow body swimbait he switched to, but came up short on the fish. We stayed there a few minutes and I finally lit in a pounder and got him boated. Whew, that was close, so I wipe the smell of skunk off. We fished a little while longer with nothing doing. We hit the dam end and struck out and started back towards the upper end. I was throwing a weigtless Culprit type senko and got 3 or 4 hits and managed to pop my buddy 2 times when it came torpedoing out of the water. Sorry about that bro in case you this. I switched back to the YM popper and boom, a fish blew up on it. I thought I had a beast, I think I bout lost the rod 3 times from it pulling out of my hands. But the fish turned out to be maybe 2 pounds. Maybe it was just the braid bite but she put on a show and had 4 out of 6 hooks in his mouth. I throw it a little longer and got 1 more strike and came up short handed. I then switched to a baby bass Bass Assassin. I got a strike and missed and for the finally I boated this ole 5lb girl:

I couldn't tell if she had hit until I saw my line drifting slowly to the right, I thought I had just came through a bush or something. But I set the hook and she didn't put up too much of a fight. Then she rolled and made an awesome leap and my buddy was like you need the net. Why do they always look like that double digit fish when they roll in the water. The fish decided to put up a fight when she saw the boat though. I thought I played her like a champ while I had #10 test. She made 3 or 4 good drag runs before the surrender. Back in the day I would have horsed her and lost her more than likely, but I had her in open water and just let the drag do the work. We got her in and she had swallowed the bait. She wasn't bleeding or anything, so we clipped the line as far in as we could get and turned her back. Hopefully she will make it, she wasn't showing any signs of stress at the release. Just thought I would share the story with all my fishing bros out there. This will probably be the conclusion for my trips until the fall with the baby being due the 27th. I have to go back to work next Wednesday and will come in right beore the baby is born. And Momma is on the warpath and in that nesting stage, hahahaha. So tighline fellas and good luck.

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 07-10-09 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Because of grammer dag gommit.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 05:34 PM   #2
aikenyounggun

nice fish, sounds like a great time.....

and yeah that hook will probably rust out
Old 07-10-09, 05:42 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

That's a nicely written story, Bubba. Sounds like a decent night on the water.
I don't want to ruin your honey hole, but what lake was that? I don't recognize it.
Old 07-10-09, 06:49 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Lake Walthall in Tylertown. It is a nice looking spot with little traffic. It has a lot of brush tops that walk in the water about 20-30 yards from the bank. You can get a bird's eye on MSN. Just go south of Tylertown and you will see it on the ariel. We saw some huge blow ups at day break and it sounded like someone chuncking a block in the water. It was renovated in 02 and opened in 05. I think it was drawn down a year or 2 ago for some work and it is still low. But I think it is capable of having some double digits. It was on the same time frame release as the Panther. I think people stay away from it because it is drawn down and the only way to get in is with a boat that you can put in by hand. Some people want all the results with no effort, hahahaha. Come on down one day when you get ready man. Bring your's or we can take mine. It's about hour and a half or so from Jackson and 20 minutes for me. I'll even put you up for the night. You can teach me a few things on the gee-tar. But you will get shift work with the baby hahahahaha.
Old 07-10-09, 08:54 PM   #5
Jim80

nice bubba , glad ya had a good day

jim
Old 07-10-09, 10:39 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Lake Walthall in Tylertown. It is a nice looking spot with little traffic. It has a lot of brush tops that walk in the water about 20-30 yards from the bank. You can get a bird's eye on MSN. Just go south of Tylertown and you will see it on the ariel. We saw some huge blow ups at day break and it sounded like someone chuncking a block in the water. It was renovated in 02 and opened in 05. I think it was drawn down a year or 2 ago for some work and it is still low. But I think it is capable of having some double digits. It was on the same time frame release as the Panther. I think people stay away from it because it is drawn down and the only way to get in is with a boat that you can put in by hand. Some people want all the results with no effort, hahahaha. Come on down one day when you get ready man. Bring your's or we can take mine. It's about hour and a half or so from Jackson and 20 minutes for me. I'll even put you up for the night. You can teach me a few things on the gee-tar. But you will get shift work with the baby hahahahaha.
I'll bring our little one, too...we can just throw them in a crib together and let them amuse themselves while us adults (whew, I said "adults" with a straight face) are busy.
One day, you and I are gonna hook up somewhere. Just gotta figure out when.
Old 07-11-09, 08:53 AM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

have to say this bubba and ssippiboy.......ya'll are kids having kids pal. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. kidding of course.
Old 07-11-09, 09:18 AM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Way to go Bubba! That's one serious Big Momma!
Old 07-11-09, 10:11 AM   #9
Bassboss

Good story bubba! Good to know someone's catching 'em! I've been having the hardest time getting a bite this summer!

Great fish btw!
Old 07-11-09, 02:34 PM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
have to say this bubba and ssippiboy.......ya'll are kids having kids pal. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. kidding of course.
Bama, you're not telling me anything I didn't know and that my wife doesn't tell me on a daily basis. "Grow up, Bubba!" hahahahaha I love my life. And aggrevation is my middle name.
Old 07-11-09, 11:12 PM   #11
bamabassman

seriously bubba...... NEVER completly grow up man. your children will remember you having fun and playing with as they grew up and will pass it on to their kids. my dad did the same with me and my brother and sisters. i envy you guys having kids since lisa and i don't have any. but we will get to spoil em and send em home to mom and dad to deal with, hahahahaha.
i am so glad my dad did all he could with and for us while we were growing up. made me love him more today than i ever thought i could.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.