Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-10, 09:27 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rod Differences By The Same Manufacturer

I have been buying quite a few new rods the past few months... and they have all been Quantum.

I noticed that several rods of the same power and action have different tip actions (some have softer tips than others). One of the rods I have purchased was the new 7' MH Fast Quantum Energy PT. This is the new version of the energy rod, with an ACS seat and the Pac. Bay HiAloy Guides. The rod is epoxied all the way up the blank to the tip. I purchased another new KVD Signature Series (the new models, with ACS seat, Pac. Bay HiAloy Guides and Tour Edition Blank). This rod is not epoxied up the blank or anywhere for that matter (except for the wraps). The Energy rod has a tip that is quite a bit stiffer than the KVD Sig. Series.

With a reel (BPS Pro Qualifier Tournament - 7.1 oz.) on the rod , the Energy feels tip heavy, while the KVD Sig. Series feels really balanced. The balance point on the rods is about 3 inches off from one rod to the other.

I have noticed the same thing with my Tour KVD Crankbait Rods (which have epoxy all the way up the blank). When comparing them to the same Eglass KVD Sig. Series Crankbait rod of the same action, the rod w/o epoxy is better balanced by about 2.5 or 3 inches. The rods are both 7' M Moderate but the Tour KVD w/ epoxy is stiffer in the tip than the KVD Sig. Series w/o the epoxy. So on to my question:

Will having epoxy all the way up the rod blank make it a more stiff rod, versus a rod from the same manufacturer that doesn't have the epoxy? And will having the epoxy on the blank make the rod feel more tip heavy than a rod w/o the epoxy?

Ryan
Old 12-27-10, 11:05 PM   #2
CMorg

I cant figure you out. Do you own a BPS store , or just working on it ? Do you have stock in BPS ? Do you at least work for BPS ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 08:39 AM   #3
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
I cant figure you out. Do you own a BPS store , or just working on it ? Do you have stock in BPS ? Do you at least work for BPS ?
Nope, don't own a BPS store, but imagine how cool that would be...

I am just trying to find the perfect set of rods that will perform at the top level of performance on the water. Elimante all the variables that you can on the water and I feel you will put more fish in the boat.

Ryan
Old 12-28-10, 10:52 AM   #4
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Then stop putzin around real simple
4 Pro Qualifer reels, if I was not such a Pflueger Trion fan,thats the only other BC I really like these days
put em on 4 matching 7 ft MedHeavy BC rods and your in NO VARIBLES<SAME RIG EVERY CAST
unless you are throwing swim baits, then I have no ionput,not my deal

I throw jigs,c rigs,trigs,trik sticks, wacky rigs, brush hogs,frog,jitterbugs,storm pre rigs and cranks with 4 set ups, except all mine have old school Pflueger Trion NSLP's on them and are 6'6", and MH/Fast

I do have one Med/Fast spinning rig for 3 inch wacky stiks and smaller tubes when fishing for smallies in the rivers here

no variables same rig every time its in your hand

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 12-28-10 at 10:59 AM.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 10:56 AM   #5
Jrob78

I'm not totally familiar with all these rods. I know what they look like but that's about it. I can tell you that they aren't epoxied all the way down the blank. It is a gloss finish but not epoxy. The gloss finish shouldn't be any different than any other coat of finish, It shouldn't have any effect on the action or balance of the rod.

Last edited by Jrob78; 12-28-10 at 11:46 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 11:04 AM   #6
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey Jrob, I think, depending on how many coats and thickness of coats it can affect both action and weight of the rod, there are some experienced rod builders here, I wonder if that's true. Thats just an opinion and I have no way of knowing if thats true
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 11:35 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

Yea its just a clear gloss urethane finish,like Joe said...It really shouldn't affect anything.
Any weight added wont change the action of the rod but it can slow the response.In return,you'll get a softer rod that may even be less efficent.But this is referring to adding too many guides,longer guides wraps with too much thread finish,etc....and not a clear finish.

But even adding several coats of a urethane finish probably wont change enough for you to ever notice...
Balancing is just from the construction of the rod,versus the components used...Has nothing to do with the rod itself.
All blanks act and respond differently.....Im also not familiar with the rods,Did one have more guides than the other?...You said one is a E glass,is the other S glass?...S glass is typically stiffer due to the higher modulus rating,if I remember right?
Old 12-28-10, 11:45 AM   #8
Jrob78

You are correct, S glass is generally lighter and faster than E glass, due to the higher modulus.
Old 12-28-10, 12:25 PM   #9
rrw4258

The rods have the same size guides and are the same guide composition as well.

As for the cranking rods, they are both a composite of graphite and E Glass, and both have 10 guides.... the Tour Rod is Fuji Hardloy, while the Sig. Series are Pac. Bay HiAloys.

I was just wanting to get a little insight on the difference in the differnet tip actions among the rods.

Ryan
Old 12-28-10, 01:16 PM   #10
Jrob78

The different blanks are probably made on different mandrels making the tapers different. The glass and graphite can also be layered differently, this will effect the tip as well.
Old 12-28-10, 04:40 PM   #11
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Nope, don't own a BPS store, but imagine how cool that would be...

I am just trying to find the perfect set of rods that will perform at the top level of performance on the water. Elimante all the variables that you can on the water and I feel you will put more fish in the boat.

Ryan
Thats what I was trying to do too , but then I realized they just keep making differant rods and i will never be able to try them all !!!
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 10:38 PM   #12
rrw4258

Ok, thanks for all the info guys. It was not really a big deal, but it was something that I wanted to learn some more about. Thanks,

Ryan

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.