Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-11, 11:54 PM   #1
bassfpsx7
BassFishin.Com Member

Default hopless in my honyhole

I have a delema i cant sort out. I know a spot. Its the type of hony hole we all dream about. Ive counted over 70+ landed fish in one day with a small break in the afternoon to restock some suplys between me and the gal i do alot of fishing with. She mabe hooked up with 1/4 of those. Alot of under keepers but its a great place to hone your tactile sense for those bites you have to listen for. Realy, a great hole. Yesterday i saw a fish that out mesured a fish i brought in last week by four inches or better. Puting it at probably 21 inches. The thing is not alot of fishermen practice a non harvest method around here. So i figure this fish is still here because its not taking the baits most used. I need to experience this fish to become the accomplished angler im striving to be. This would a lifetime best for me. The problem is ive thrown all i can figure to throw. Theese fish see alot of night crawlers, grubs on jig heads, inline spiners. My goto on this hole is a waky riged red shad yamamoto. Ive tried light collered spinnerbait, some small carolina pumpkin craws, a small orange top water, a berkly gulp realistick nightcrawler(did catch one.) An orange and green chigercraw, texas rigged tequila twisttail, i think thats it. I know theres alot other baits to try but im hopeing to get advice twards a better direction. These fish are heavily pressured. Moreso than the most preasurd ive seen around here. Not just baits but swimmers, bridge jumpers, and dogs. I have seen an otter i could get close to if i dared to give you an idea of the people presure there. This is a creek that enter the currentful clearwater river. It backs up against the current creating a large overfill hole. Big and jagged rocks, the watter is clear.70 to 90 degrees .mostly hot.1-18 feet depths, if fished early to late. No buisnes from 1 to 4 oclock. Can you please suggest somthing. To broke for hit and miss takle purchases. Oh by the way im talking about small mouth in northern idaho. Small waters. Bait fish is sucker carp minnow mabe shiners and salmon steelhead smolt. Other frei. Sorry so long.
bassfpsx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 11:58 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd give a swimbait a try. Not the huge ones, but like a Spro BBZ 4" Shad. It's a great bait that will help you weed out some of the real small fish and tempt bigger fish into biting. It's something the fish probably have seen a lot or at all. Besides they look VERY natural in the water.

BB
Old 07-26-11, 12:26 AM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfpsx7 View Post
I have a delema i cant sort out. I know a spot. Its the type of hony hole we all dream about. Ive counted over 70+ landed fish in one day with a small break in the afternoon to restock some suplys between me and the gal i do alot of fishing with. She mabe hooked up with 1/4 of those. Alot of under keepers but its a great place to hone your tactile sense for those bites you have to listen for. Realy, a great hole. Yesterday i saw a fish that out mesured a fish i brought in last week by four inches or better. Puting it at probably 21 inches. The thing is not alot of fishermen practice a non harvest method around here. So i figure this fish is still here because its not taking the baits most used. I need to experience this fish to become the accomplished angler im striving to be. This would a lifetime best for me. The problem is ive thrown all i can figure to throw. Theese fish see alot of night crawlers, grubs on jig heads, inline spiners. My goto on this hole is a waky riged red shad yamamoto. Ive tried light collered spinnerbait, some small carolina pumpkin craws, a small orange top water, a berkly gulp realistick nightcrawler(did catch one.) An orange and green chigercraw, texas rigged tequila twisttail, i think thats it. I know theres alot other baits to try but im hopeing to get advice twards a better direction. These fish are heavily pressured. Moreso than the most preasurd ive seen around here. Not just baits but swimmers, bridge jumpers, and dogs.
I'd try putting a nice living rubber 1/4oz jig with a PORK trailer, on a give that a whirl. These things can be magic for big pressured fish. They look and move, very naturally, and can really produce. I personally like pork over plastic, better action (different rather, plastic has it's place), better scent/flavor, and very buoyant. 1/4oz will give the jig a very slow fall, with a thick skirt and pork trailer, and I think it's really what the big girls prefer 9 times outa 10. Living rubber is great for pressured fish IMO. It don't have the cool looking colors like Silicone, but the action is the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfpsx7 View Post
I have seen an otter i could get close to if i dared to give you an idea of the people presure there. This is a creek that enter the currentful clearwater river. It backs up against the current creating a large overfill hole. Big and jagged rocks, the watter is clear.70 to 90 degrees .mostly hot.1-18 feet depths, if fished early to late. No buisnes from 1 to 4 oclock. Can you please suggest somthing. To broke for hit and miss takle purchases. Oh by the way im talking about small mouth in northern idaho. Small waters. Bait fish is sucker carp minnow mabe shiners and salmon steelhead smolt. Other frei. Sorry so long.
I'd give a drop shot and a football jig a try. If you can find where algae grows on rocks, and where it stops, fish these area cool. baitfish and such will hand around the algae side looking for little invertebrates to chow down on. Bass will hang around the edges waiting to ambush bait. Use the football jig to locate the areas where in the algae on rocks thins out.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-30-11, 02:51 PM   #4
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I live in Northern MI. The U.P. I fish the Menominee River, some magazines call it a Small Mouth bass heaven. I can head out and nail a boat full on any given day from 1# to a few over 5# and a once in a great, great while 6#+. I use a variety of methods. In the summer when the weather is hot and humid I have terrific luck with any type of crawl baits. Money crawl, Mad Tommy to name a few. I rig them on EWG'S from 3/0) to/5/0 depending on how finicky they are. I also hammer them on Senko's rigged the same way. Flukes, Paddle tail baits take a good share. I will hit the river shallows in wood and rock with Sweet beavers. We take them in deeper water during the day with drop shot rigs using power finese worms of different sizes, A large Gulp leech on a jig can be deadly.
Even a smaller size Gulp leech on a #1 or # 2 floating jig head with a split shot rigged up high can get you bites. I try to work the baits different speeds until I find what they are looking for. The upper Menominee River has loads of Rock in all sizes, weeds, wood, so cranks often get frustrating and I do get snagged, OFTEN. I use Vandams Square billed
crank bait with some success. Normally in my type of water using the plastics works best with less aggrivation.Top water plugs are very good in the evening and early AM. I do have a few decent deep lakes around my home that have both species of bass,as well as Walleye, splake planted because of the depths in the 90' range by the DNR. Smallies I've found are fished a little different than the LM. Smalles do put up the best fight though. I hope some of these ideas will work for you in the creek/river areas you've mentioned. Good Luck,
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 08:48 PM   #5
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Dang it.....I thought the topic title said "Topless in my honeyhole." Imagine my disappointment......
Old 07-30-11, 10:35 PM   #6
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippiboy View Post
dang it.....i thought the topic title said "topless in my honeyhole." imagine my disappointment......
lmao........
Old 07-30-11, 11:17 PM   #7
lilmule

Id go the cheap route but I think the correct one clear water something like a fluke.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 03:06 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'd give a swimbait a try. Not the huge ones, but like a Spro BBZ 4" Shad. It's a great bait that will help you weed out some of the real small fish and tempt bigger fish into biting. It's something the fish probably have seen a lot or at all. Besides they look VERY natural in the water.

BB
I agree with this. I am not a big swimbait guy for some reason, just still haven't got into throwing them. But I agree that they might fit the bill here.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 04:16 AM   #9
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'll give another vote for the swimbait. I'd look at something in the 4-6 inch range and probably a soft swimmer just because I've had better luck with soft baits than hard jointed baits. I like the 5" hydra tail but almost any of the soft swimbaits will catch fish. It seems to me that fish in pressured waters will sometimes respond to swimbaits when nothing else will catch them.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.