Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-04-10, 01:18 AM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default A good spincast.

My sister will not use anything but a spincaster. I want to get her out on the water with me, but she will not even try to use my spinners, and my caster is out of the question. So, I have decided to get her a spincast reel as a gift, but I am not sure what makes a good spincast reel, I have never used one that I know of. I would like her to be able to learn to fish with lures, and bring in some 1-4LB bass. The lures I think she would start off with are, 1/8th beetlespin, small t-riggged worms, and small ultralight cranks like the bitsy minnow.
Old 06-04-10, 08:58 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There is a reason the Zebco 33 is still in production...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 09:19 AM   #3
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
There is a reason the Zebco 33 is still in production...

Dude, that comes in a combo for $10 on wal-mart dot com. I can certainly afford that, but I was expecting a good one to be at least $30 for the reel alone.
Old 06-04-10, 09:34 AM   #4
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Although Ive never used one...Im sure the Abu Garcia line would be worth looking into.
Thats because they make the finest reels in the world
Old 06-04-10, 10:57 AM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Waffle is right. Abu-Garcia's Abu-matic line are all good spincast reels. I have a buddy who fishes with me who uses all spincast reels, and though I rib him about it, he catches big bass just fine with them. He got a 5.5 lb'er last time, no problem at all. It casts a spinnerbait pretty far too.
Old 06-04-10, 06:41 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would recommend a Daiwa Goldcast. The last several times I read about ratings on spincasting reels, the Goldcast was always number one. My broher bought one and he is in love with that reel. They are about double what you'll pay for a Zebco, but very much worth it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 07:32 PM   #7
JigNgrub1997
BassFishin.Com Member

I occasionally use push-button, spincast reels. I use Zebco 33's, one of them is very smooth but hangs up a lot during the cast, the other one is not smooth but casts great. I like the 33's but I think you should look into something a little better. Believe it or not, but the Zebco ProStaff Spincast combo's seem to be great deals. Here is the link : http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

I've read reviews on them and a lot of people seem to be happy with them, more so than the 33. I'd invest into the combo that comes with the 6' rod as it will hold any 8lb or 10lb mono you may use very well. It's only $35 to boot.

Oh, and don't use braid on a push-button reel. Spincasts are not made for braid and it wears them out quickly.

Good luck!
JigNgrub1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 07:32 PM   #8
screwballl

The classic all metal 33s used to be the standard... but since they have gone to an all/mostly plastic build, they are junk. They now have all sorts of variations of the 33's. If you look into the Zebco 33, look for the "Zebco 33 Platinum" which has the all metal body and is much more like the original and just as dependable.
I would look closely, open it up and find one that has mostly metal components. This would be reels like Abu Garcia 276 (or 476, 576), Zebco 808.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.