Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-08-11, 08:36 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default First fish this year, and fish musky experienced!

Got my first fish this year, only a little one, but at least it's a fish! Had a good day, and got some pics on my phone, lets see if I can get 'em off of here, lol!

A brought the spinning rod with me this time and had a long 8lb leader tie on.

Caught him on a drop shot with a cross tail shad. Something I've already got used to the feel of on the end of my line.. I just don't have the same confidence with a Goby or even a 4" senko on. I just don't have the confidence.

Fished around the rip rap for a while and didn't get anything, after that little one, I switch to a Shaky head with a 4" watermelon unknow worm on a spot remover. I noticed some males fanning cleaning out areas of beds though, and there was lots of clean spots along the bottom. I switched to a small spinnerbait. Then I noticed two musky swimming along the bank. I tossed my spinnerbait in front of the big one (HUGE one more like, 50 incher I'd say, but I'm no muskymen lol). He ignored it, but but must have brushed up against the hook caught I snagged him the back and he took of pealing drag at the speed of light! He peeled about half of my 20lb power pro off and got tangled up in the weeds! Here's when my salt water fishing prowess came into play, lol! I kept pressure on him and got about 20 yards back, and he took off again, but I managed to get him out of the weeds. I SLOWLY started working him back to me (I doubt he even knew he was hooked, lol), I got him about 20 yards to me and he took off again, slowed down, and pulled me off! It all lasted about 5 minutes, but man what a blast on 8lb test and a finesse rod!

Didn't get anything there so I moved spots.

The weeds had really grown up even since yesterday and I was really having a hard time keeping the head from tangling in the weeds. I managed to pick up my second fish of the year on how ever; another small male. After that fish I put on a ball shaky head and it came through the weeds with little difficulty. Moved over to the logs, and missed another one there on the SH.

Turned around to work my way back and tied on a little silver and black husky jerk. Hooked up to another small male, and tossed him back. 3 rd fish. Kept on working the bank back the the weedy spots and hooked up to another, little-nicer-but-still-a-dink-fish, on the same spots as the first on the SH. Caught 3 more around there on the Husky jerk. Still more small males

Moved back to the rip rap, but before I got there I noticed someone was already fishing there with a bait caster. I got closer and saw he had a TD zillion and a St.Croix Legend Tournament. He was fishing a swim jig.

I stuck with my Husky jerk. We got to talkin a bit and turned out he's one of the guys on the tackle tour forum. So that was pretty cool to meet someone from a forum! We talked about fishing for a while, and what works around here. He also also noticed the males were starting up on the Beds. WR Senkos, and jigs seem to be the ticket once the weeds started growning up. I switched to a silver buddy, and tried ripping it out of the grass, but lost to to a pike. Switched to a SH beaver and lost it on a snag.. called it a day and headed home.

Thanks for reading!
Old 05-08-11, 09:27 PM   #2
bamabassman

sorry bout losing the foul hooked one bossman, but hey oyu FINALLY got to catch a few and got the jitters outta the way. nice report too. keep it up pal.
Old 05-08-11, 10:39 PM   #3
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Congrats on getting on the board for the year, Boss!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 01:01 AM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like a pretty good day to me! Watch it with those muskies, they are mean!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 06:51 AM   #5
keithdog

Boy I bet that felt good after the long wait! You just might get hooked on those muskies! All in all it sounds like a very enjoyable first time out.
Old 05-09-11, 07:26 PM   #6
Bassboss

Thanks guys! I'm definitely gonna target some muskie, that was to fun not to do again! Went out after school since out ball game got canceled (caught of weather) and went fishing. Didn't plan to be long long just brought a spring craw rattle trap and a pocket full of sun flower seeds. Had a great time, caught my first keeper of the year, about a 2 pounder, and missed a really nice fish, probably 4, 4 1/2. Conditions were perfect for that bait. Choppy water, and cloudy.... just rippin it out of the grass.

Last edited by Bassboss; 05-09-11 at 07:52 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.