Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-12, 02:06 PM   #1
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Question First time using bait caster help!!??

A friend of mine runs a bait and tackle store and gave me a NEW Rhino RBC 300 bait casting reel and spooled it with 14lb bps excel mono. I paired it up with a used Shimano 6'6" Medium heavy power fast action rod. I set the brakes to max so the reel stops when the bait hits water because i am new to thumb control lol. But while adjusting the tension knob from all the way out and slowly back in i never really noticed much difference in the bait fall rate using 3/4oz weight. Casting it side cast and im not getting any distance whatsoever 10-15 yards im getting double the distance on my spinning reel using medium action rod 6'6" as well and 14lb bps excel mono with same 3/4oz weight. So baitcasting experts what am i doing wrong?
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 02:21 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First, let's make sure our vocabulary matches. The brakes are on the left side of the reel, and the spool tension knob is on the right, close to the handle. Setting the brakes all the way up won't have much, if any, effect on the lure's fall to the ground right in front of you. The spool tension knob does.
Set the brakes for now at about 7-8, assuming it ranges from 1-10. Hold the rod tip at about a 45 degree angle up, and release the spool. Adjust the tension knob (right side, by the handle) until the bait falls slowly to the ground, and the spool stops when it touches. Practice casting like this until you get more comfortable and educate your thumb. Once you get some confidence, you can reduce the brakes to get more distance.
Old 05-23-12, 02:35 PM   #3
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

OK ill try that next time i go out I don't have a big enough back yard to practice there! LOL Our vocab does match the drag setting is 1-10 with it set on 10 i don't notice any difference from the tension knob being all the way out or all the way tight the bait falls same rate and reel stops when bait hits ground... just no casting distance

Last edited by Mac Lovin; 05-23-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-23-12, 04:00 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

Ok, now there's a third term added to our vocabulary....the drag. It has nothing at all to do with the speed of the spool. The dial for it is on the handle itself, a big star-shaped contraption. All that does is set how difficult it is to peel line off the spool with it engaged. When it's in free-spool for casting, the drag does nothing.
Something's wrong, either with the tension knob, or the way you're adjusting it, or something....with the tension knob snugged down tight, you'd have to pull the line out manually; it would be way too hard for the weight of a lure to pull any line out.
The tension knob is behind the reel handle, not on it.
Old 05-23-12, 04:07 PM   #5
3dkicker

Brake is 1-10 (typically magnetic and on opposite side as the handle) and spool tension is small knob next to the handle. The drag is a 5 star beneath the handle.

Brake controls distance. Spool tension controls spool speed. Drag controls fish taking line from spool.

As stated set spool tension so that when you release the thumb bar the bait lowers slowly to the ground and the spool stops spinning when the bait touches the ground. Next set the brake to 3-4 for more distance or 7-9 for less distance.

When casting release thumb bar and use wrist to roll cast the bait and flip the bait out across the lawn, driveway, or street. You shouldn't have to work hard to get a decent cast. Just a simple flip of the wrist. If you don't get the right distance then reduce the brake. If the spool backlashes then tighten the spool tension.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat........get the idea? Once you get the reel set correctly you'll find you'll get the distance you want without a backlash.

If you still have issues find someone to work with you and show you how to set it. If that still doesn't work throw the reel in the trash or send it to Pro-reel to see if he can fix it.

(Sorry Sippi, looks like you beat me to it!)
Old 05-23-12, 04:12 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post

S'okay....you said it better.
Old 05-23-12, 04:31 PM   #7
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Ok, now there's a third term added to our vocabulary....the drag. It has nothing at all to do with the speed of the spool. The dial for it is on the handle itself, a big star-shaped contraption. All that does is set how difficult it is to peel line off the spool with it engaged. When it's in free-spool for casting, the drag does nothing.
Something's wrong, either with the tension knob, or the way you're adjusting it, or something....with the tension knob snugged down tight, you'd have to pull the line out manually; it would be way too hard for the weight of a lure to pull any line out.
The tension knob is behind the reel handle, not on it.

Tension knob is locked down its the lil knob next to the handle on the reel itself, i push the thumb bar and bait falls to the ground i cant get tension knob any tighter

Last edited by Mac Lovin; 05-23-12 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-23-12, 04:54 PM   #8
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Brake is 1-10 (typically magnetic and on opposite side as the handle) and spool tension is small knob next to the handle. The drag is a 5 star beneath the handle.

Brake controls distance. Spool tension controls spool speed. Drag controls fish taking line from spool.

As stated set spool tension so that when you release the thumb bar the bait lowers slowly to the ground and the spool stops spinning when the bait touches the ground. Next set the brake to 3-4 for more distance or 7-9 for less distance.

When casting release thumb bar and use wrist to roll cast the bait and flip the bait out across the lawn, driveway, or street. You shouldn't have to work hard to get a decent cast. Just a simple flip of the wrist. If you don't get the right distance then reduce the brake. If the spool backlashes then tighten the spool tension.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat........get the idea? Once you get the reel set correctly you'll find you'll get the distance you want without a backlash.

If you still have issues find someone to work with you and show you how to set it. If that still doesn't work throw the reel in the trash or send it to Pro-reel to see if he can fix it.

Thanks 3dkicker but havent got past step one yet there is no difference if i loosen tension knob all the way or tighten all the way still falls the same. Loosened all the way should slam to the ground with a 3/4oz weight and tighetened should even move well for me there is no difference. Guess ill be taking it back in the morning LMAO
Old 05-24-12, 12:44 PM   #9
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Exhanged there was something wrong with the tension knob so that problem is fixed don't have time to cast around with it today. Will do tomorrow thanks for everyone's input. Guess this happens when you get a free cheap low profile reel LOL !
Old 05-24-12, 02:25 PM   #10
3dkicker

You can't go wrong with free. Test it out and let us know how it works for you.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.