Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-12, 08:13 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Flipping reel?

So I am starting to get big into flipping right now I use a abu garcia silver max with skeet reese heavy cover. I love the rod just hate the reel. So I am looking at new reels I was thinking one of these 3 bass pro qualifier, johnny morris signature reel, or the curado. Anyone use these for flipping with 50 lb braid or just flipping at all? I am open to any and all suggestions budgest around 150 thanks
Old 06-05-12, 08:28 PM   #2
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you want a reel that you can use for both casting a flipping, get one with a flipping switch (that's what I did, a Quantum). If you just want a flipping reel, Ardent has one about that price.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 08:31 PM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use the old curado e7 and a revo SX. They both work for me.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 10:12 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I primarily pitch more than I flip, but in either case, I have a couple Revos that I use. The STX and the SX. Both work very well. When your flippin, normally your flippin into heavy cover. In that case, you need a good strong reliable drag, and the Revos have that. The Johnny Moris Signiture Series is a darn good reel too. I think you would be happy with either of the three. As for the Curado, I've never used one so I'll let someone else comment on that one. Good luck either way.
Old 06-05-12, 10:51 PM   #5
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you are talking about true flipping, then the very best flipping reel is a shimano castaic with thumbars
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shima...ge-SHCASF.html
If you actually mean pitching, then any good reel is fine. You don't need a flipping switch to pitch because you generally have time to get in position to engage the reel the same way you would after any cast. A flip however often results in near instant strikes while the reel is still feeding line to let the bait fall straight down, thats where the switch is handy. I personally hate most reels with flipping switches because most of them are poorly designed with a weak switch that will break, The castaic is as durable as you can get with instagage levers that are easy to slide up to engage the reel
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 07:53 AM   #6
bassboogieman

I agree with "pro reel" on the Castaic - the newer model with the thumb bar. I've used the JDM version (Quickfire) for years. It has better bearings and a prettier paint job. This was advantageous for me as I cast RIGHT (dominant) hand with right handed reels. Although I can switch the reel to the other hand almost without thinking about it on a regular cast, the thumb bar let me keep the reel in the right hand until the jig (or whatever) hit bottom, because I could lock up the reel with the thumb bar if the bait was hit on the initial drop. If you cast right handed with left handed reels, it's still usefull as you can engage the reel with one (reel) hand.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 08:11 AM   #7
lilmule

I dont use flipping switches or thumbar thingys,also dont flip a lot,just about any reel will do as long it can winch them in distance then isnt a factor,being able to man handle it is.And I ofter use a bass pro reel 6/2/1 or 6/3/1.
Have several reels with a flippin switch and dont use the switch,best brake of all is called a thumb.
Idea is behind the switch is it locks the reel as soon as it hits or you let go,thumb and a reel movement do well for me.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 01:15 PM   #8
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have one of the Ardent Flip n Pitch reels, and I do like it, but I've decided that for me it's better to have all my reels the same brand and style. Of the 5 I use regularly, 4 are Abu Revos. Yes the models vary, Winch, Premier, etc, but when I reach for one I know exactly how it will sit in my hand and how the cast control works. When I grab that Ardent it takes me a cast or two to adjust to the difference in the way it works.

Just my opinion but it's something to think about.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 07:42 PM   #9
Tavery5

Most reels with a good drag system will work well.
Old 06-07-12, 10:39 PM   #10
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

I have flipped with a couple different reels, one being the Curado. I have to say my favorite, by far is the Revo SX. Smooth, unbelievable amount of drag, dependable and even good looking for those rides in between fishing holes. Stop by your local tackle store and get your hands on a few different reels. The one that fits you, that you are comfortable with is the best one! Just make sure it has the few basic necessities for heavy duty and you will be fine. Happy flipping!
ZHerman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 11:26 PM   #11
Jrob78

I don't do a whole lot of flipping but I wouldn't think the reel would make much of any difference at all. Pitching I see but flipping? Don't you generally flip with the reel engaged? Maybe I'm doing it wrong and that's why I don't do it much.
Old 06-10-12, 04:56 PM   #12
Bucketmouth1010
BassFishin.Com Member

I have the Johnny Morris carbon black and love it for flipping. I have 50 lb power pro braid on it.
Bucketmouth1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 06:58 PM   #13
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

A good old barrel type Abu-Garcia works for me. I still use mono line but have used spider-wire with it and it just keeps on ticking.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.