Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-15-14, 12:27 PM   #1
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Getting Hooked

I was wondering how many out there have been hooked by a friend or even hooked themselves with a fish hook? Want to tell us how it happened and how you treated it?
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 03:15 AM   #2
mikechell

The first time I got hooked, seriously, was by myself in North Carolina. Hooked a 20 inch Gar in the tip of the nose with a crankbait. I was trying to get the lure out, without grabbing the fish, by grabbing the lure instead. The fish jerked and buried the hook in my thumb, fortunately unhooking itself at the same time.
I didn't carry wire cutting pliers that trip. I tried the string jerk method and almost passed out on the front of my boat. Decided I'd best head back to the ramp. Passed a boat full of people and stopped, asked if they had wire cutters and they did.
I pushed the hook through, cut the barb off and pulled the treble out. Finished fishing and recovered without much pain.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 03:23 AM   #3
mikechell

The second time I got hooked was in my van. I have 11 of my rods hung from the roof. Some of the rods are for when I take others fishing, and a couple are rigged for bait fishing for sunfish. I hadn't noticed that one of my bait hooks was dangling, instead of being hooked to the rod. When I leaned in to get something, I hooked myself in the right ear. Stuck in past the barb, but not all the way through.
Working in a side view mirror, trying to push a hook through the skin and cartilage for the top of the ear is ... impossible for me.
An older guy and his wife was driving past to the ramp and I waved them down. I walked over to the truck with my pliers in my hand. I asked him to push the hook through and cut off the barb and pull it back out. I guess he didn't hear me correctly. He pushed it through, grabbed it and pull it the rest of the way through, hook eye and all. Hurt like a ***** and bleed for, you guessed it, half the fishing trip that day.
But it finally healed up and there's not even a scar to remind me.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 05:57 PM   #4
Thornback

Mikechell you must have a couple of scars. I have never hooked anyone but had a friend hook me once. He was throwing a plug with two treble hooks. I felt something hit me in the side of my head and my cap was sliding off so I reached up to grab my cap and grabbed his plug. About the same time he jerked the plug (I guess he was trying to get it away from me -- I wish he had just left slack in his line). I felt my hand jerked backwards and when I looked at it I had two hooks in my thumb. One buried past the barb in the inside joint and one about a half inch lower. They looked like they could be buried to the bone. I cut the hooks off the plug with side cutters and used needle nose pliers to work the hooks out. It took some working and about two minutes but I was determined not to have to go to the emergency room. After I got them out I wrapped my thumb with gauze from my first aid kit to stop the bleeding and we kept fishing. When I got home I went to my doctor's office and got an Rx for antibiotics. Today there's no scar.
Old 08-16-14, 08:06 PM   #5
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My first time was on a pier where the guy next to me made a very errant cast and the hook wound up in the back of my skull. The most freakish was when I picked up a plastic utility box that was on a pier and unbeknownst to me, even though the box was closed, one treble on a crankbait was hanging over the side in a way that didn't get in the way of closing the box.

Other times it was careless handling of a shaking fish. A few times I was able to get the hook out, but had to go to the ER three times.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 12:07 AM   #6
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Luckily, I've never been hooked. I've gotten a few superficial stab wounds, but rarely enough to bleed. My dad got hooked when I was just barely old enough to remember, fishing a tourney his partners cast got wild on the takeback and buried two of three barbs into the skull
Old 10-18-14, 02:01 PM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Been stabbed a number of times but only a few past the barb. One took a trip to the ER mainly because I knew I needed a tetanus shot. Had one drive the hook of a topwater into the end of my index finger about 11 AM. Finally went to the ER about 9 PM. They thought I was crazy to have it in my hand for so long but they were biting well, so.....
Old 10-18-14, 11:04 PM   #8
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The last time, a shaking fish drove a hook off a crankbait thru the skin on the nail side of my thumb. After getting my fishing partner to remove the still shaking fish I used a sharp knife to slit the skin and pull out the hook. Continued fishing.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 11:30 PM   #9
bassinbob

Probably would have hooked my girlfriend the last time we were out this fall. Casting a horny toad I hit her right below the right eye. Thank goodness the hook point was buried in the toad. She was ok with a slight bruise.
When I was about 14 or so my cousin and me were in our old row boat. We were back to back at each end of the boat. My cousin casted and sunk his hook into my ear lobe. Instead of looking to see where he snagged his hook he kept yanking the line. After I let him know it was in my ear he stopped pulling. We didn't have a knife and had to unhook the hook and sinker from a snap swivel. We walked back up from the lake to the cabin and cut the sinker from the line. My dad went to town so we waited for an hour or so for him to come back. When he did he said you have two options. Go to the hospital or he would push the hook through and cut the hook. I said go ahead and do it. He pushed it through and cut the hook. That was almost 50 years ago. Whenever I see my cousin we have a good laugh about that.
Old 10-24-14, 07:37 PM   #10
Captmikestarrett

I have been hooked about 6 times by clients. Most have been a simple pop and it is out, except one. Have you ever heard of jump fishing?? There is area in the DC Channel that lends very well to this style of fishing for convict bass. Well the shad popped up and my client turned to cast to the spot and hooked me square in the back of neck with a rattle trap. Dr that night used a scapulae to back cut the two trebles out. And like some gun shy dogs I still duck at the sound of a rattle trap. Oh I used to be a duck guide in high school.

More about that later..

Have the scars and wear them proud.

Capt Mike
Old 10-26-14, 07:50 PM   #11
Thornback

I was out Friday with two other buddies in my 17.5' BassTracker. I told them both if they had a bad cast or they attempted to set the hook and it came flying back to the boat to find the hook before trying to reel the line in. Sure enough an attempted hook-set came flying past one guy and I saw the hook land by his leg and shouted to the other guy to not retrieve his line. I picked up the hook and threw it overboard and told him to reel away.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.