Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-05, 01:14 AM   #1
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rod building and repair

Does anyone on here repair or make their own rods? My dad has an old rod and its falling apart! I bought the stuff to repair it (maybe shouldve given it more time). In other words im having trouble wraping and I only got two days left!

Any tips?

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 07:42 AM   #2
1FASTLASER

Crisitopher

I do rod repair and also build custom rods. A very quik and easy way to rewrap a rod is to put the thread in a cup and then run it through a book. On top of the book put approx. 10lbs of weight,this will put tension on the thread so you may be able to wrap the rod. When you position a guide on the rod use a thin strip of masking tape to hold the guide in place. Then wrap the thread around the rod 2 times then as you start to wrap or turn the rod you will actually over lay the thread one time. Then continue keeping the thread close to itrself wrapping to within approx ten wraps from the guide. Take another peice of thread approx 12 inches in length make a loop in it and lay it paralell to the rod on top of the thread that you have wrapped. Continue to wrap the rod up to the battom of the guide. Then while holding the wrapping thread without letting go of the tension cut the thread. Place the tag end through the loop that you have wrapped ove,pull it tight, then pull the looped thread until it starts to go under the wrapped thread, cut the excess off and pull the looped thread under the wrapped thread. Finish off the wrappings then go ahead and apply the thread sealant and finish per the instructions on the particular brand you have bought. Keep in mind that your rod is round so dont put on 1 thick coat put on 2 or 3 thin coats.

Forgot to tell ya after you have enough wrapped thread on the guide pull of the masking tape before continuing to wrap the rod.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 12:29 PM   #3
Christopherkeene9

Thanks

I was reading more into a book I have and I wrapped this!

Pics coming soon!
Old 12-23-05, 12:46 PM   #4
Christopherkeene9

Chris
Old 12-23-05, 01:31 PM   #5
Christopherkeene9

Laser thanks for the book and cup trick! I an wrap much faster, tighter, and better looking now!! Gonna have to redo the one above which I wrapped last night!! Also how do you epoxy or protect the wraps?

Chris
Old 12-25-05, 08:42 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

The very BEST epoxy that I have found can be had at any store that sells apoxy. Get the epoxy that gives you at least 30 minutes of working time. Any brand will work as long as it drys clear. It is the toughest epoxy out there,keeps your wraps looking good for years. It is the same type of epoxy that your high dollar rod companies uses on there rods,(fenwick,Gloomis etc etc). The trick to getting a good looking finish is to do it where it is cool (with the air conditioning on for example), this gives your epoxy time to soak into the wraps. After getting a good smooth coat on the rod, sit there while watching tv or whatever and rotate the rod so the epoxy wont fall to one side of the rod. When it sets up (approx 30 minutes) set the rod aside and let haerden overnight. You can use the commercially made epoxies but they are harder to work with,more expensive and doesnt last as long.. I have been building custom rods for years so I talk from experience. You need anymore help dont hesitate to holler at me.

By the way use brushes that are soft and can be thrown away. They can be had for a couple dollars for 4 or 5 in a pack at a art store or walmart. Dont bother with the ones they sell at custom rod sites...not necessary.
Old 12-25-05, 09:05 AM   #7
Christopherkeene9

Just any old hobby epoxy from like a hobby shop? If so already got some of that stuff from my lure building! Thanks again Laser! Will see how he likes it today!

Chris
Old 12-25-05, 06:01 PM   #8
WidowMaker
BassFishin.Com Member

Can head the head cement be used in place of the epoxy? It does a good job penetrating and bonding the windings on jigs.
WidowMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-05, 06:41 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Ive never tried head cement. I guess it might work,but the thing that you want is a epoxy that will still flow to a certain extent after applying to threads. U-40 and flex make epoxies that are designed to be used on rods but I have found that with these you need a rather expensive rod turner as the commercially made rod epoxies take a rather long period to set-up. I've experiemented with others and came to the conclusion that the "2 ton epoxies you buy at wally world are, weather resistant,tough,flexable enough to not hamper rod action,LONG lasting etc..etc..
Old 12-28-05, 07:40 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Christofer
How did the rod wrapping go. Hope your dad liked the end result. The more rods you wrap the better you get. Ifn you need any more help give me a holler.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.