Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-09, 11:44 AM   #1
bassFishingWNY
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Nor-easter

I know the South gets East winds, I won't get into that! But in the Northeast, we had almost steady cold front, north wind this spring, that is a high pressure, then clock wise, east wind.
I don't know what it's called in the south, but here, it's a nor-easter.
So I'll ask, has anyone heard of high pressure, and fishing turns off, they stop eating? They say a nor-easter, you might as well stay home. Fishing has been real bad in Western New York (Buffalo, NY) Area. The winds have been from the north, east winds all spring?
I did read that A high pressure causes pressure on their air sacks, and they get sick because of the pressure? If so, how do I fish them in this horrible fishing year here?
bassFishingWNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 11:55 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

High pressure is never good for fishing, if you do go, stay small and slow. Basically what a high pressure front will do, is shrink a bass strike zone, consequently, making it so you'll have to drop your lure right onto of it's nose. A shaky head is great for this!

Good luck!
Old 06-15-09, 12:04 PM   #3
bassFishingWNY

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
High pressure is never good for fishing, if you do go, stay small and slow. Basically what a high pressure front will do, is shrink a bass strike zone, consequently, making it so you'll have to drop your lure right onto of it's nose. A shaky head is great for this!

Good luck!
I'm early bird. I'm out at 5:30AM, Good fishing from 5:30, till 7:00 AM, then nothing, not even a hit. Will fish for 2 more hours, not even a hit, and I change bait, and color. It just turns off.
I tried fast, slow, still, nothing works!
I said to my self, I thing the fish can talk, they say don fall for this guy anymore, it's all fake.
Old 06-15-09, 12:10 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassFishingWNY View Post
I'm early bird. I'm out at 5:30AM, Good fishing from 5:30, till 7:00 AM, then nothing, not even a hit. Will fish for 2 more hours, not even a hit, and I change bait, and color. It just turns off.
I tried fast, slow, still, nothing works!
I said to my self, I thing the fish can talk, they say don fall for this guy anymore, it's all fake.
Hmm, try top water... bass are still gonna be pretty active during those hours. Try moving location, try going deeper, staying tight to cover and structure, moving the bait painfully slow!
Old 06-15-09, 07:25 PM   #5
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
I know the South gets East winds, I won't get into that! But in the Northeast, we had almost steady cold front, north wind this spring, that is a high pressure, then clock wise, east wind.
I don't know what it's called in the south, but here, it's a nor-easter.
So I'll ask, has anyone heard of high pressure, and fishing turns off, they stop eating? They say a nor-easter, you might as well stay home. Fishing has been real bad in Western New York (Buffalo, NY) Area. The winds have been from the north, east winds all spring?
I did read that A high pressure causes pressure on their air sacks, and they get sick because of the pressure? If so, how do I fish them in this horrible fishing year here?
I'm in CT which is not all that far from ya , and I can't really say that the fishing has been terrible even with the lack luster weather, You should prob just try to switch up your approach a little bit ie ; if your throwing big worms go down to a 4 inch one or start the morning with a fluke worked real slow . One bait that has been consistent for us down here has been a sweet beaver t-rigged . good luck man .

jim
Old 06-17-09, 02:59 AM   #6
MarkB
BassFishin.Com Member

what you are describing is actually two different conditions. The actual Nor Easter storm is a LOW pressure event with a cloud cover, wind and precipitation. Fish will be active still. After the storm passes, then HIGH pressure moves in with N-NW winds. High pressure is usually accompanied by clear bright skies which puts bass tighter to cover- with smaller strike zones as mentioned already.
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 09:30 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

downsizing definately works, but you can also try the exact opposite and go for a reaction bite. I've caught fish on a small Cotton Cordel lipless crankbait during high pressure when nothing else I tried worked. What you're hoping to do with a lipless crank is to burn the bait right past a fish and have the fish hit it out of instinct: a reaction bite. You don't want to give them any time to think about, you want them to just hit it because it's there.

but like I said, finesse fishing can work too. I'd fish a dropshot first. Since with the DS you can keep your lure in one place w/o moving it around like you have to with a T-rig, it makes a good choice for lathargic fish. One mistake a lot of people make when fishing the DS is wiggling the bait too much. wiggle it a bit and then let it sit there, especially during high pressure times.

BB
Old 06-17-09, 01:30 PM   #8
bassFishingWNY

BigBassin144:

This will sound stupid, I never fished dropshot.
I watched the video about how to rig it, and bough what I need, all ready had the worms. I fish in heavy weed, can it be used there too? You just toss it out in heavy weeds were you know bass hang out, and twitch your rod tip a few times with out moving the sinker, and let it sit?

Kevin said it can be used anywhere, But how can they see the bait in heavy weeds if you don't move it? Also, you cast my not be were the fish are, why not move it to were the fish are, like t-rig fishing?

Good thing for rain, and wind today, I watched Kevin's video about Google Earth, down loaded that, and been playing with it. It's neat, I never thought that we had access to things like that! Can't find his "bassfishingmapvideo1" link to find the other links for other things he talked about, but I may have wrote down the wrong address? I can watch it again, and check to see.

Kevin has some great videos, better then the ones I seen. I like this site! I had two people email me, and say they wore wrong for calling me names. You don't see that most of the time. If you all can put up with me, a 65 year old man, I guess I can put up with you!

Tight lines all
Old 06-17-09, 02:09 PM   #9
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

WNY - this is a great place -truly no other like it... And I do believe the consistent high pressure in our "fair" state has had an effect on the bite. Island Basser has written some great stuff on drop shotting. If you PM him he will forward copies of his writing.
Old 06-17-09, 04:01 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
BigBassin144:

This will sound stupid, I never fished dropshot.
I watched the video about how to rig it, and bough what I need, all ready had the worms. I fish in heavy weed, can it be used there too? You just toss it out in heavy weeds were you know bass hang out, and twitch your rod tip a few times with out moving the sinker, and let it sit?

Kevin said it can be used anywhere, But how can they see the bait in heavy weeds if you don't move it? Also, you cast my not be were the fish are, why not move it to were the fish are, like t-rig fishing?

Good thing for rain, and wind today, I watched Kevin's video about Google Earth, down loaded that, and been playing with it. It's neat, I never thought that we had access to things like that! Can't find his "bassfishingmapvideo1" link to find the other links for other things he talked about, but I may have wrote down the wrong address? I can watch it again, and check to see.

Kevin has some great videos, better then the ones I seen. I like this site! I had two people email me, and say they wore wrong for calling me names. You don't see that most of the time. If you all can put up with me, a 65 year old man, I guess I can put up with you!

Tight lines all
Hey now, don't be making promises ya can't keep!

anyways, I've never fished the DS in heavy cover, but I'm sure you could. In cover, I use the Owner DS hook like in Kevin's video or a size 1 or 2 EWG gammy, and rig it like you would a t-rigged worm. I personally, don't know how well the DS will work in heavy cover, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Just because you can work the bait without moving the rig doesn't mean you have to. when I fish from shore, I sometimes slowly drag it back to the boat. Maybe Kevin will have some more insight to fishing the DS in cover.

BB
Old 06-17-09, 05:17 PM   #11
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

High Pressure/Low Pressure...whatever...just fish! Seriously, why would you stay home, that will guarantee that you won't catch anything. Do you know how many times I've looked at pressure and thought I won't catch anything today and turned around to catch a boat-load of fish!..I don't care anymore..sun/bluebird skies/clouds/rain/snow/...

BassBoss..High pressure systems in the North will usually turn the bite on, not off...let's try not to give bad info.
Old 06-17-09, 05:25 PM   #12
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Afterthought..I was reading a lot of NorthEasterners complaining about bad fishing..it's the same in Maine/Mass/NH right now..mainly due to a much colder than normal spring..water temps are sitting in the low 60's right now and should be closer to 70...I usually judge the bass fishing by my trout fishing, once the trout stop biting the bass fishing starts getting really good...well the trout have just started biting really good the last week or so...which puts things way behind schedule...also, I've noticed a lot of fish still in the spawning stage that's really really late for this time of year

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.