Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-22-10, 04:31 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Took an old fart fishin today......

Literally.....lol. My fishin buddy Ron asked me if i'd help him with taking his 88yr old father-n-law fishing in the new boat......He'd been hinting around about wanting to go ever since Ron got home with the new boat.

His name is Moody, and danged if that don't fit him to a tee.....lol. He's a grumpy old fart that spent most of his career as a long haul trucker, so he's got more stories then you can shake a stick at....Only he's senile and can't remember them all, nor can he remember he just told the same story 5 minutes ago.....hahaha....So you can imagine the boat conversation over the course of the morning. He must of had some inert need to talk cause he did a "boatload" of it.

The old man can bearly walk so getting his boney butt in and out of the boat was a difficult for him, but with the aid of a step ladder we all managed it without too much difficulty.....There's no boat dock or good places for an old person to get in the boat along the shoreline on this lake, so puttin him in the boat in the parking area seemed to work the best. Naturally later on, when it came time to get rid of all that coffee he'd been drinkin there was NO good place to put him ashore, and thats all I've got to say about that.....He and Ron had to deal with that in the back of the boat....I had to work the trollin motor.

So I kinda bass fished but not really.....For the most part we spent our time tied up in areas he might catch some bream or crappie, which is what he likes to eat.....So thats what we did....and both he and Ron caught several nice fish of each species....enough for a nice mess come dinner time, thats fer sure.....only when we got back to the ramp Moody suddenly decided he didn't want to clean any fish and while I was gone getting the truck and trailer those two Yahoo's dumped all the fish back in the lake....."Knuckleheads"......Nobody asked me if I wanted them. Crap, after puttin up with Moody's moods all morning, I deserved a fish dinner.....Dangnabit, I would'a cleaned'm.

Anyway....theres my good deed for the week..."Hopefully longer".hahaha. I did manage to catch a few of them crazy Warmouths on a Ragetail Spacemonkey again....lol....Those crazy fish just hammer that bait and its half their size....hahaha....And even though I didn't catch a bass, i'm sure I helped make an old farts day....."He said so anyway".

Last edited by 66KingFisher; 05-22-10 at 05:08 PM.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 05:07 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

michael...........GOD BLESS YOU MAN! thanks for sharing this with us. That old fart will remember you and so will GOD.
Old 05-22-10, 05:25 PM   #3
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yeah I bet that was an adventure.
I sure that old fart had the best time he has had in a long time.
Old 05-22-10, 06:21 PM   #4
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Nicely done, King! Sounds like a fun and INTERESTING day for sure. If they were gonna dump the catch though, they shoulda let you fish for bass!
My hat is off to you
Old 05-23-10, 03:39 AM   #5
islandbass

You will be rewarded for sure and kudos to you for doing this and while Mr. Moody might forget, God will not.

May there be someone to take us when we're old farts.
Old 05-23-10, 09:51 AM   #6
Bassboss

You just landed a CRAP LOAD of good Carma there man! I'll prolly be getting a big 'ol PB this year!

God bless you man, God bless you!
Old 05-23-10, 03:21 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

It was definitely a good deed to be proud of. Hold your head up and smile
Old 05-23-10, 05:50 PM   #8
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
May there be someone to take us when we're old farts.
Thats, pretty much what I kept telling myself the whole time....lol...."If I'm lucky enough to live to be a really old fart, I hope someone will take me fishin occasionally too". Thanks for the Kudo's guys.....I know that old man enjoyed it and thats all that really mattered at the time.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 12:12 PM   #9
66KingFisher

I thought I should post a follow up to this story.......Moody suffered a massive stroke and passed away early this morning......I ask that you keep his family in your prayers for the next few days.

That one trip was the only time I fished with Moody, and looking back on it now, I'm glad Ron asked me to be a part of it.....At the time I wasn't overly thrilled about it, but I knew it was for a good cause, and putting my wants and needs behind me that day to help that old timer have a good fishin trip was the right thing to do......I'm glad I was part of it.

RIP Moody......"I know you like to bream fish , but if you'll ask for an old boy that goes by Zooker, I'm sure he'll be happy to put ya on some nice sized bass".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moody.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	5623  
Old 07-25-10, 12:28 PM   #10
bcklash

RIP MOODY--I'm praying for his family and you also 66.
Old 07-25-10, 01:46 PM   #11
bamabassman

condolences to the family michjeal. your an angel for taking him on one of his last trips my friend. prayers are sent to his family and yours.
Old 07-25-10, 05:04 PM   #12
XIntel007
BassFishin.Com Active Member

When I was 16 my grandfather started hunting with my dad and I in Texas. We had a nice lease near Oak Creek. Dad and I would spend most summer weekends setting up feeders and stands. When my grandfather decided to join us it was a bit of a surprise. He had never hunted deer as far as I know and we did not know just how into it he would be. Granddad was a second generation plumber and dad was a third generation plumber (see why I joined the Marine Corps) so he was accustomed to working in the elements but he was also 66. Dad, Granddad, Granddad's apprentice (of 25 years) and I all worked that summer to build him the Hilton of stands. It had sliding plexi-glass windows, corner shelves, carpet through out and a heater. It could seat 2 no problem. We loaded the thing up one July and set out for the lease. Granddad was dead set on sitting up in a valley formed by the joining of two hills. It was dense vegetation and dad and I both thought it was a bad place. We worked our way back there and found a thicket of wild plumbs (Best Jam I ever had).

Fast forward to my senior year, I was 18 and for two years, dad and I had been keeping his feeders full and "tolerating" Granddad's strange hunting habits (getting up late, not staying in the stand long, etc.). One morning the fog was especially thick. I could hear Granddad coming down off the hill at like 9am, well before I wanted to leave. He was going to drive right next to my stand spooking all the deer in the area with his 88 model Chevy POS. About a minute before he reached my stand I saw a 10 pointer jump out of the brush (it was obviously running away from Granddad). A minute later he was laying on the ground and Granddad was standing over him. I could not have made that shot if I had not been pressured to do so by my Granddad's impatience. The next morning Granddad asked me if I wanted to join him in his stand. He even tried to entice me with the hot coco he had in his thermos. Something told me to go with him. We sat in there, drinking hot coco and heating ourselves by his Colman heater while I listened to his stories. I had heard them all before and I really wanted to be in my stand looking for deer but I put up with it.

One week before I graduated, he passed away. We buried him on graduation day. Boy am I glad I "tolerated" him that last hunting day we had together. I always think about that when doing something incontinent for others. You just never know so good on you for taking the time.
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 09:56 PM   #13
Cavs1123

RIP Moody.
Old 07-26-10, 01:44 PM   #14
Abbeysdad

Good fer you kingfisher fer taking Moody out, but thats a sad followup - maybe one day in the future, you'll be lucky enough fer payback when some young whippersnappers take you out fishing too.
Old 07-26-10, 02:09 PM   #15
Bob Smith

Wow! what a great read! I think you helped send that fine old gentleman off to heaven with a final act of kindness that few people would have done! KUDOS to you and God Bless, Moody, may your eternal rest be peaceful.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.