Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-10-10, 05:01 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rod Storage Boat Deck

I dont have a good rod locker at all. I just tie my 5-6 rods down during tournaments , but I dont like this as it takes alot of my room on my already small front casting deck. I seen this http://bac-rac.com/ and thought what a great idea , but wow is it pricey. What do you guys recommend , or use ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 05:21 PM   #2
WaffleJaw

Go to Home depot and make your own Bac Rac...The idea is simple enough.
Probably cost less than $20
Old 06-10-10, 05:21 PM   #3
walkeraviator

You are right...kinda pricey for a way to hold just 4 rods... and this is all based on you having a hatch that is just right for this... on my Dads boat, the hatch is all teh way across teh boat and rounded off on the ends, so this wouldnt work in all applications...

with that said... it does look like something that could be made from sheet aluminum and some other materials or could even be permanantly mounted to the deck if it was on your boat...

I do like how it is elevated to clear the gunwales (gunnels for those with less english)...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 07:09 PM   #4
cassidyta

While it is not the most cosmetic technique, mine works for me. I have no rod locker at all and very little deck space.
I have milk crate with 6 pieces of PVC zip tied into it. It acts as a storage locker and rod holder for me. Since I usually don't have a back seater, I push it back even with the console and it is out of the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	5337
Old 06-10-10, 08:09 PM   #5
CMorg

Cass , I have considered doing something like that , however I have on more than one occasion run under trees that hang pretty low..

I think I could make a Bac Rac , but I dont know how to make the actual rod holders.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 11:12 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Why not just get some rod saver tie downs? You can put them in the same place and probably get more than 4 rods tied down.
Old 06-11-10, 12:57 PM   #7
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Why not just get some rod saver tie downs? You can put them in the same place and probably get more than 4 rods tied down.
This has limitations... on the boat i fish out of, the back deck is maybe 5'6" wide iwth ver high gunwales... so a 6' and up rod will sit with the hanle on the deck and the rod tip on top of a 4" tall piece of fiberglass... seems like doing this too much could permanantly change the shape o fthe rod...
Old 06-11-10, 01:59 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Walker. as long as you don't store them like that you should be fine. My rods sometimes get stored like that when running and are no worse for wear.
Old 06-11-10, 03:03 PM   #9
walkeraviator

cool.... i know dad does exactly what you said on the front deck... his 5'6" rods stick of teh side a few inches... i go doin that with a 7' rod and it will really stick out there... right now i lay my rods in the floor of the boat and have to step down into teh bottom when switching rods which gets old...
Old 06-11-10, 03:36 PM   #10
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
I think I could make a Bac Rac , but I dont know how to make the actual rod holders.
Looking at it, I think you could make the rod holder this way.

I would get a large, (6" diameter or greater) piece of PVC. I would drill 3-4" holes through the center, maybe every 4-6" Then run it through a table saw or band saw and split it in half. It should give you two identical halfs with a 1 1/2-2" groove for each rod. You could then screw or rivit them into the metal that will fit into the panel. Use a small bungie at both ends to keep it secure.

Now this is all off the top of my head, so I can not swear to the stability of it. But it is what I am considering having looked at the picture.
Old 06-12-10, 06:17 AM   #11
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

cassidyta, great idea, thanks for posting. Also be a good idea in sanding the cuts and holes, all edges to prevent waring on the lines. Even rounding the edges and corners off would insure. A couple of small screw eyes bolted on at each end for the bungee would work....I think I've seen some in stainless steel at the local hardware.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 01:39 AM   #12
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If I was to build one I would get something like THIS then get sheet metal and bend it to the shape you want (Maybe A "C") and then you can put one side under your locker door and put the linked item on the other side and then you can push your rods into the already made spots. You could even run a small cord over the top if your worried about them falling off. Hope that helps.
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 06:40 PM   #13
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

i know the guys that developed these they were the originals bac rac copied them they are good guys heres the link.
http://www.team2kfishing.com/rodcaddy/
two of the funniest guys youll ever meet

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.