Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-17-10, 12:21 PM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rod holders from the moon...

Now bear in mind that I have a BPS about a 45-60 minute drive away...

Anyway, I've been wanting some (not for storing) rod holders for the boat and after some studying and pondering I realize I already have a couple of flush mount (6 spline) holder bases in the stern of the boat. They look like these I found in BPS http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

So I go ahead and order these rod holders (maybe not the best, but looks like a good deal) ... http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

So I place the order on Monday hoping I'd get them by the weekend... next day I get the shipping info and tracking number and realize it's being shipped outta Earth City, MO .... over 1000 miles away from me here in CNY (est 7 days in transit)!

Now wouldn't ya think that a big outfit like BPS would have some distribution here in the northeast???

On the other side of the coin, the cost of shipping was only $5 and it would cost me roughly 3 times that to drive to that nearest store.
Old 06-17-10, 12:38 PM   #2
Abbeysdad

After ordering, I read in the Q&A that the flush mounts listed don't work with these holders!
Anybody know of rod holders that work with a 6 spline base like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rod holder flush mount.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	5381  
Old 06-17-10, 01:58 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett

Are those berkly rod holders?

Capt Mike
Old 06-17-10, 02:23 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

I dunno Capt, hard to tell, but near as I can see the Berkly mount has more splines than the six I have).
Old 06-17-10, 02:48 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

Well there is also scotty and perko.

You also have some unknown ones out there.

Capt Mike
Old 06-17-10, 03:25 PM   #6
Abbeysdad

Don't see anything close in perko and like attwood, scotty's looks to be a 12 spline mount:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scottys mount.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	5382  
Old 06-17-10, 03:49 PM   #7
Abbeysdad

I may just have to replace the mounts.

Cannon flush mount:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cannon flush mount.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	5384  
Old 06-17-10, 06:42 PM   #8
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
So I place the order on Monday hoping I'd get them by the weekend... next day I get the shipping info and tracking number and realize it's being shipped outta Earth City, MO .... over 1000 miles away from me here in CNY (est 7 days in transit)!

Now wouldn't ya think that a big outfit like BPS would have some distribution here in the northeast???

On the other side of the coin, the cost of shipping was only $5 and it would cost me roughly 3 times that to drive to that nearest store.

Actually, most places find it more cost effective to centralize shipping. If you run a distribution point, then you need to have warehouse space as well as staffing.
Old 06-17-10, 10:56 PM   #9
Abbeysdad

Consider how much better the produce is from your local farmers market. Not only is it days or weeks fresher, it was picked at it's peak of ripeness and didn't burn gallons of fossil fuel to get to you. Eventually as energy costs get even higher and petroleum resources dwindle (and they will - it's only a matter of time), the pendulum will swing back to the realization that it isn't any longer cost effective to ship things across the country, or the world for that matter....and regional distribution makes sense.
Old 06-17-10, 11:36 PM   #10
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Consider how much better the produce is from your local farmers market. Not only is it days or weeks fresher, it was picked at it's peak of ripeness and didn't burn gallons of fossil fuel to get to you. Eventually as energy costs get even higher and petroleum resources dwindle (and they will - it's only a matter of time), the pendulum will swing back to the realization that it isn't any longer cost effective to ship things across the country, or the world for that matter....and regional distribution makes sense.
Abbey, you make a critical logic error here. And I'm not faulting you for it...it is a very common delusion. I hear it all the time from the greenies I am forced to tolerate in my line of work.

First, if you want good produce, you don't pick it at its peak of ripeness. You pick it slightly before then, so it will ripen in transit to market. Ripening does not make something more nutritious. If that were the case, we should all be eating frozen produce, which is substantially more nutritious than "fresh." Produce begins to degrade the instant it is picked; freezing it stops this degradation.

Second, yes, it takes more energy to ship products across the the country than across town. However, the energy is more than offset by lower energy for production, since these products are produced in bulk. Believe it or not, a product produced in a huge factory in Malaysia has a smaller "carbon footprint" (snicker), than one completely (key word) manufactured on a small scale locally. Besides...you wouldn't believe what the per-item fuel costs on a container ship or freight train are...it is ridiculously low.
Old 06-18-10, 12:07 AM   #11
Abbeysdad

No offense nofear but the error is yours....If you want really good produce, you do pick it at it's peak. I have a 3000 sq. ft. organic vegetable garden. I pick when vine ripened and walk from the garden to the kitchen -
No petro-chemical fertilizers, no chemical pesticides and no fossil fuels in transit. I'm not a greenie and usually don't talk the talk, but I walk the walk at least part way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0011.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	5393   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0023.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	5394  
Old 06-18-10, 12:08 AM   #12
Abbeysdad

But we're way off topic...help me find rod holders for my dern deck mounts!
Old 06-18-10, 12:31 AM   #13
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Haha....I agree on the rod holders. I remember how insane I was going when planning mine.

Back the most important part, the argument .

In your case, your produce is indeed best picked when ripe, because you're not a vendor, you're the end consumer. You posted about your local farmer's market. Your local farmer, believe it or not, spent more fuel per unit than Wal Mart does.

But frankly, I'm a little jealous. I like veggies, but I don't have the time, or even the room for a decent vegetable garden. If it makes you feel better, I just nuked a bunch of Prostrate Spurge in my lawn this evening with some Weed B Gone LOL. We'll see how it does...that Spurge is a NASTY CRITTER!!!
Old 06-18-10, 01:18 AM   #14
Abbeysdad

Actually I just said the the produce was fresher from the local farmers market and it is, often picked the day it is sold.
Also, the fuel cost for plowing and planting is per acre regardless of field size so the local farmer doesn't use more fuel per acre. And although the overall volume is of course less, many of the smaller farms have higher yields per acre than the larger ones, often using less fertilizer and irrigation. This makes for an even lower cost per unit even before we talk transit.
While on the subject, take the red pill and learn some more about those 'efficient' factory farms ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEkc70ztOrc
And why on earth would I feel better because you poured some Ortho poison on your lawn to kill the soil life and a few weeds?

Now can we stop the pointless debate and would you please find the rod holders I need!

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 06-18-10 at 01:31 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 08:30 PM   #15
Abbeysdad

Well the rod holders arrived and as feared, they are a 12 spline post so they don't work with the mounts I have in my boat. Kindof annoyed with BPS for having a picture of flush mounts that are incorrect and not available for their holder. I guess I need to find flush mounts that will work with these or send them back and go with Attwood or some other with available flush mounts.
You gotta wonder why something so seemingly simple, gets so complicated.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 06-19-10 at 11:32 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.