Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-10, 10:37 AM   #1
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks for everyones advice...

because I caught a fish!

This is the first bass I have EVER pulled out of New York City's lakes and ponds. I was so happy. It weighed a little less then a pound but gave up a hell of a fight.

Yesterday after work, and after reading the forums for tips and tricks, I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and picked a up a new reel. Here's what I got.

Its the Daiwa Takara 2500, and it is amazing. Here is a link to the specs of the reel if you're interested. The reel is SOOOO smooth with the 9 ball bearings.

I also bought some 10lb Fireline. Ive always wanted to try it. The stuff is super strong and expensive.

I put the line and reel on my 5'10 ugly stick, with some black and red Yamamotos wacky rigged, I was able to pull that sucker out.

The hook really did a number on him... I cant seem to hook bass in the mouth, they are always eating my bait up.
armyof12monkeyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 10:57 AM   #2
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The concrete jungle of NYC has lakes and ponds??? I mean I know about the pond in central park, but lakes....plural???

Oh yea, nice fish - there always so much fun to catch.
Old 06-18-10, 11:00 AM   #3
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
The concrete jungle of NYC has lakes and ponds??? I mean I know about the pond in central park, but lakes....plural???
I know how hard it is to believe but we have a lot of lakes around the city. We also have the deepest lake in NYC right by my house. Its called Silver Lake, parts of it are close to 100 feet deep, but you're really not allowed to fish there. We also have a Boy Scout camping ground here too! If you saw this place you would never believe you are 20 mins from Manhattan and still in NYC.
Old 06-18-10, 02:04 PM   #4
style0
BassFishin.Com Member

Nice bass(aren't they all). I want to know what's the story about the lacquered helmet in your avatar ;~)
style0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 02:12 PM   #5
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by style0 View Post
Nice bass(aren't they all). I want to know what's the story about the lacquered helmet in your avatar ;~)
Hahaha..... ah yes... my helmet. I'm really into reading and learning about Roman history. My avatar is me wearing a Roman Centurion helmet my girlfriend gave me for my birthday in march.
Old 06-18-10, 02:13 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good bass man!

About hooking them in the not belly, pay more attention to your line, se the hook at if anything feels or looks weird. A graphite rod will also help you feel the bites more!
Old 06-18-10, 02:23 PM   #7
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Awesome going putting the advice to use! That's a great looking fish there. I hope he will be ok. I have a similar problem with wacky rigs. They just seem to suck them down. Luckily I have not gut hooked one, but you should know that if you do just cut the line. The fish has a much better chance of surviving if you just cut the line and let the hook dissolve in the fish's gut.
Old 06-18-10, 02:35 PM   #8
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am sure you read this, I always keep just one finger on the line to feel for the fish. Its a bit harder to due with an open face reel, but still possible.

Other people I know just watch the tip of the pole. I prefer to have a connection with the line.
Old 06-18-10, 03:28 PM   #9
3dkicker

Aaaaaaaah yes the Bait Monkey has hooked and landed himself another one!!!!

Nice fish too.
Old 06-18-10, 04:06 PM   #10
Jim80

nice fish man glad ya got to bring one in

Jim
Old 06-18-10, 05:51 PM   #11
Bender

Nice one! I've heard a lot of good things about fishing the NYC reservoirs, there are a lot of BIG fish in them.

As for the hooking in the mouth it might be worth trying a different hook. I have had by far the best luck with Owner's Wacky Hooks. Mostly I use the 2/0 and the 1/0 with smaller baits. If you can't find those then try a circle hook for live bait. They are designed differently so that when the fish spits it out it hooks them. Wacky rig is tough to detect the bite if you are fishing with slack line to let it fall straight down. One big thing is to watch the line floating on the surface, if you see it move abnormally then set the hook. Over time you'll get used to what to look for. Good luck!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 06:33 PM   #12
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

CONGRATS TO YA MAN!! very nice FIRST bass too. as you continue your quest for larger catches. keep at it, you WILL get better as you go.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.