Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-08-11, 09:52 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Little Cousin's First on a Lure

My uncle and cousins were over to our house for mother's day and my little cousin (almost 12) wanted to go fishing. Being so early in the year, I didn't have any night crawlers or any sort of live bait on hand for the bluegill in our pond. I figured he may get bored quickly with a lure, but I didn't have much else.

So I tied a small white rooster tail on his rod and grabbed my crankin' stick and headed out to our pond. After confirming that his rod and button reel would be able to throw the tiny Rooster Tail, I showed him about how fast to reel it and let him have at it.

He casted around for while (and I didn't notice he was getting a bit better accuracy) without much luck. I put down my crankin' stick and picked up my worm rod rigged with a 4" Chomper's DS worm on an 1/8oz Owner Shaky Head jig. It was pretty tough to cast on a MH rod, even with my Sol and I'd have had a lot of trouble without the Sol, lol.

My cousin ventured down the shore a bit (the shore I catch most of my bass on). Just as he was starting to lose interest in casting and retrieving a small bass (like bamabassman sized ) hit the rooster tail and he brought in it successfully.

It was all of 4" long, but it was his first fish on a lure and he was excited. We casted for a bit more and I hooked a bluegill (how I hooked it on a shaky head, I don't know). I also hooked another small 12"ish bass that got off cause I took the lure right as I had a backlash that needed picking out...

It was a good night though and I think I've sparked his interest in fishing with lures. This summer I may take him out to the local reservoir to fish for some decent sized bass.

BB
Old 05-08-11, 10:24 PM   #2
Bassboss

Sounds good biggins, he's gonna remember the for a long time.
Old 05-09-11, 06:54 AM   #3
keithdog

Sounds like you have the kid heading the right dirrection. Sounds like you two had a great time together.
Old 05-09-11, 06:01 PM   #4
bamabassman

NOW YOU ALL SAID I WAS CRAZY FOR USING A ROOSTER TAIL. HAHAHAHHAA!!! that is truly great ant, that is the kind of bait to really get a kid interested in fishing for real. even though it was one of MY sized fish, he felt great that HE landed it. i hope he taes up fishing more and more in the future. good job bro!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.