Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-11, 10:30 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Another hooked angler story.

Nuthin drastic, but its our first entry into the club....lol. My buddy Ron and I hit the lake this afternoon to get our weekly therapy. We had cloudy skies with a good chance of rain so it was gonna be a hit or miss deal we figured but what the heck...lets go. We hadn't got a bite till about 6pm and I had a nice 3# blow up on a topwater plug.....shortly afterward I felt the boat rock and heard splashing from the rear of the boat and knew Ron had hooked into something too, and I thought "Great, its about that time of evening and with the little rain showers we were experiencing we're fixin to kill'em"......As Ron lifted his catch(a small Pickerel)into the boat he reached for the crankbait in the fishes mouth and the fish flopped about the same time and buried one of the trebles deep into the side of Rons pinky finger and the tip of the hook was now just below the skin but it was right above the nail near the cuticle.

I figured first thing was to get the fish loose from Ron, and it had two trebles buried in the top of its mouth in a tough area....Naturally!!.....I managed to get the hooks loose without killing either the fish or Ron and released it back to fight Ron another day...lol. I figured the next thing was to get Ron loose from his own rod, so I just cut the line near the lure and now thats outta the way....So whats next?

Ron decides he wants to remove the split ring and loose the crankbait before he ends up with more hooks in either of us, so before I know it he's diggin at the split ring with his pocketknife using his leg as a benchrest......I'm thinkin "Great, now he's gonna slip and stab himself in the leg.....But he doesn't and manages to get the ring open so I can grab it with and old rusty pair of hemostats and start to rotate it off the hookeye.....A few moments later Ron is free of the crankbait and now just has the treble in his finger.....Because of the angle it went in and its proximity to the nail, we both decided the smartest thing for us to do was call it a day and head for the house. Rons wife is a LPN after all.....But upon arriving at home she took one look at it and said "Were goin to the ER".....They were still there the last time I heard from them......Ron has a new story to share with the kids now....lol....All I could think was "Better you then me"....lol

This incident did bring to light the fact that we were totally unprepared to deal with an injury of anykind....No firstaid kit, and between us we had one rusty half froze up pair of short needle nose pliers..One old rusty pair of hemostats and I had a pair of plastic "floating" fishing pliers from Xtools.....They don't rust, but they are plastic and don't have much backbone to them if you know what I mean? They are ok for most hook removal tasks, but not for cutting hooks or anything like that.

Before we go out again, I bet Ron snags himself some new needle nose pliers and some side cutters, both large and small....and some sort of first aid kit....Maybe even a pair of fish grabbers or some sort.

I ask him at the hospital what he would've done had he been fishin alone, and not had me there to help......I won't tell you exactly what he said, but lets just say it wouldn't of been pretty.

Update:.....He called just now to tell me the hook was out and he was home....He was PO"d at the doctor who only clipped the point of the hook off before he just forced it back out....With the barb still on..........I guess he just thought he clipped the barb off.....and Ron said he had ask them to numb his finger or they wouldn't have even done that.....Anyway he's now home and has a new fishin story to tell...along with a new tetanus shot and some new antibiotics....lol

Last edited by 66KingFisher; 09-18-11 at 10:36 PM.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 11:32 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

<<<< shivering.....been there, done that,lol. glad he is ok. but that ain't no place i would want to go to ifn i got hurt.
Old 09-19-11, 10:00 AM   #3
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hooked myself this weekend all the way through my finger had to cut the hook eye and pull it all the way through. Was in the middle of a state tournament so I kept fishing!
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 03:57 PM   #4
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Nuthin drastic, but its our first entry into the club....lol.
Our??? I quote from Sudden Impact "Who's we, sucka?" Seems like you were on the good side of the whole thing...

That must have sucked with the nail blocking the exit and it had to be pulled back out. I had to ask for them to numb my leg too before the hook was removed.....sometimes you wonder about medical professionals.
Old 09-22-11, 12:21 AM   #5
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Our??? I quote from Sudden Impact "Who's we, sucka?" Seems like you were on the good side of the whole thing...
Hehehe......I was doin alot of grinning at the time that he was all hung up......I told him that I was certain about one thing.....That I was glad it happened to him and not me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.