Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-11, 09:56 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default We had a great afternoon on the water....

I Had a great fishin trip with my buddy Ron this afternoon....We drove down south a little ways to fish a lake we are not familier with, and from our first cast we were catchin bass and we just killed them for the next couple of hours....and all the time,we were just rock throwin distance from the boat ramp where we launched from.......What a blast.

As things died down, I could see something busting the topwater across the lake so we ventured over there to find some monsters feeding at the surface.....I thought at first it must be stripers, then I hooked into one, and I still thought it was a striper till I finally got it to the boat, only to find out it was giant sized Gar.....Hahahaha.....And the one on my line was over 4ft long.....Ron managed to get it into the net....sort of....it was waaay bigger then the net....hahaha.....Once on the boat we managed to retreive my KVD crankbait which was all I wanted anyway, and then we tried to weigh the Gar, but he wasn't cooperating and managed his way back into the water......We are guessing he weighed somewhere between 25-30 lbs. Not a bad catch for a med weight spinning rod and 12 lb line.....hahaha....WHAT FUN!!!!!.

Sorry no pics this trip....My camera batteries were dead as a doornail so I didn't take it this time....I promise to have fresh batteries from now on....lol
Old 10-06-11, 10:59 AM   #2
WaffleJaw

Man that sounds like a blast!...
Old 10-06-11, 11:15 AM   #3
islandbass

Right on! Days like that for me are rare so I cherish them. I bet you and your buddy will be back again.
Old 10-06-11, 12:42 PM   #4
Bob Smith

That sounded like a GREAT Day! Those gar are like Tarpon when they are hooked! I had one on a Buzz bait that went about 5' long. It was in the the air more than in the water! It was fun so I can imagine what it musta been like on a spinning rod!
Old 10-06-11, 12:58 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Sounds awesome, Michael -- way to go!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 08:56 PM   #6
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Right on! Days like that for me are rare so I cherish them. I bet you and your buddy will be back again.
My buddy Ron, is new to bassfishin, and has never ever,had a fishing trip like that....he was as giddy as a school girl the whole time.
Old 10-07-11, 07:05 AM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey Micheal, way to go buddy. And it's so great you were able to share it with Ron. Congrats to you both! So many times there is good fishing to be had close to the launch, an area most folks drive right past. Something for savy anglers to take note of. I'd love to hook into a gar some day. I've never caught one but hear they are really aggresive fighters. And to Ron, welcome to the forums buddy!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.