Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-12, 01:10 AM   #1
A-style
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Just curious. How many rods and reels?

I have been seeing symptoms of an illness that I thought only plagued myself and close family members. It seems alot of you guys may have the same disease. I have an obsession with fishing gear as whole. I have countless crankbaits,spinnerbaits and topwaters. Some ive had since i was 6 years old. I catch alot of slack about my broad display of fishing rods and reels. They get counted for me rather frequently. People say Why? I don't really have an answer but I love each and everyone of them. You would be hard pressed to get any away from me. Not out of greed as they have no monetary value on them as far as I am concerned. That being said I would willingly give someone one or more especially a youngster if the need was genuine. I am pushing 60 ready to go setups ranging from inshore saltwater to bass and crappie, ultra lights. And flyrods. How many? Just curious.
A-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 01:42 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I honestly don't have any idea how many rods or reels I own, although I do know I don't own anywhere near 60. I have several rods that don't have reels on them and I have reels that aren't on rods right now. I am always swapping rods that I carry in the boat with rods that I leave in the garage throughout the season as patterns change. Also a lot of the rods that I don't have reels on right now will most likely get reels put on them that I pull off of other rods as the season wears on and I need certain rods for certain applications. I normally carry 10-15 rods of my own in the boat at all times and another 5 or so of my wifes. While practicing for a tournament I will have rods laying all over the place, but hopefully by tournament day I only have a few rods out. If you ever see me with more than 5 rods out on tournament morning you know I am in trouble because I haven't figured anything out yet LOL.
Old 02-14-12, 01:57 AM   #3
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A-style, WELCOME to the site!
I can hardly wait for the numbers to come in.
I am guessing you found a great site to share a 'Monkey Driven Obsession" on!
If it's been made, someone on this site has it. Probably dozens. It never seems to amaze me.
Hey you forgot to spill the beans on your arsenal. Other than in vague terms. There are going to be some very fortunate young folk when this group becomes angels.

I really don't have much.
5 casting
15 regular spinning
7 lights and ultralights-- some reason I can't get away from those crappie..don't use live bait, rather jigs and grubs , cranks, tiny flukes ect.
2 fly rods---gotta popper fish the Sunnies spawn!
I will have to confess though, I do have a fairly large investment in these!

Reels on all with maybe a half dozen extras.
In a special corner I keep my very first 'Monkey Attack' when I was like 12. It's been on bike rides and crashes.(to many to count) It's been through a jeep roll over and as helped catch literally thousands of fish over the years. Payed like $30 for it. I was so very very proud of it......just retired it a couple of years ago. I never so much as changed a tip guide on it.

Looking forward to learning alot from you!
Old 02-14-12, 05:46 AM   #4
islandbass

That is awesome you have so much gear, and welcome. However, if you ever make it to the Hoarder's show, let us know... We can help you clear things out.

I don't have much in the way of rods or reels I probably have less than 15 rods and even fewer reels.

I have the obession, but like the bass, I bite on opportunities in the extreme, best of deals and opportunities. Like when I found a crucial for $59.00 Or a compre for $45 or was it $54. Either way a steal. Found a berkley lightning rod for $9.99 (Don't use it - but it's ready for the clumsy relative).
Old 02-14-12, 07:26 AM   #5
james86
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm broke. I only have 3 casting reels and 1 spinning reel. Most expensive reel I have is my Pro Qualifier the other 2 are an Orra SX and an Ambassadeur from the 1960s that was given to me. Spinning reel is a combo I bought a couple years ago. Abu cardinal on a lightning rod.
Old 02-14-12, 08:21 AM   #6
kennethdaysale

A-Style welome to the boards. Good to see a fellow upstater. PM me sometime and maybe we can meet and spend a day on Kings Mtn or John D Long(if your not scared of ghosts) ..........There is nothing wrong with accumulating tackle. Other than the sentimental outfit or two I tend to sell or give away older rods when I upgrade, but still own way more than most of my non-fishing friends can wrap their head around.

@james..being military, don't yall get good deals at the PX or BX? Back when I was a dependant that was THE place to score.
Old 02-14-12, 08:52 AM   #7
BlueDaksi

Too many rods to count off the top of my head, but I don't think anywhere near 60... at least I don't think so... Welcome to Bass Fishin'!
Old 02-14-12, 09:46 AM   #8
bassboogieman

I have more than I need certainly. I carry 20 rods on my boat for bass fishing. I got into that sad habit after I joined a bass club and fished tournaments. In order to save time, I had a lot of rods so I wasn't constantly retieing lures. Now that I don't fish tournaments, the issue of time isn't nearly as critical, but that habit persists as I'd rather just pick up another rod reather than tie on a different bait. I think it was easier to quit the smoking habit than it would be to reduce my rod inventory on the boat to a dozen.

Other than the rods in my boat I have a 8 0r 9 saltwater rods - trolling, surf and pier. I have a dozen or so retired rods in the basement that I just haven't gotten rid of. 3 ice fishing rods and a couple ultra light for crappie and panfish that rarely see the light of day.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 09:47 AM   #9
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i asked about this a while ago, let the one user so sorry I forgot your name, i will post if i can find, he has got the rods, let me tell ya, i got that pic save on my pc, the are laid on his boat, it is dang near sexy..

oh i have about 6 nice ones, 10 all together, and about 8 nice catfish setups

hey i bumped it up for ya its bassboogies, collection and its under the thread 10 rods bama has, great thread
Old 02-14-12, 05:10 PM   #10
james86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
A-Style welome to the boards. Good to see a fellow upstater. PM me sometime and maybe we can meet and spend a day on Kings Mtn or John D Long(if your not scared of ghosts) ..........There is nothing wrong with accumulating tackle. Other than the sentimental outfit or two I tend to sell or give away older rods when I upgrade, but still own way more than most of my non-fishing friends can wrap their head around.

@james..being military, don't yall get good deals at the PX or BX? Back when I was a dependant that was THE place to score.
The base here doesn't have any good bass gear only saltwater stuff really. I'll have to check their website.
Old 02-14-12, 05:23 PM   #11
Tavery5

Our local BX has a no compete agreement with the local merchants, so the retail price is very similar to anywhere else, they will price match just about anyone. What helps is that when making a purchase through the BX you are not required to pay sales tax, that can save a bundle on major purchases.

The AAFES website has very limited selection of fishing gear, but they do have a couple of participating merchants that carry a fair selection of fishing equipment. BoatersWorld is one and I can never remember the name of the other.
Old 02-14-12, 05:57 PM   #12
james86

I'm navy so we don't have AAFES or a PX or BX. I just knew what you guys were talking about. We have the Navy Exchange. Commonly called the NEX. They sell zero fishing equipment online and practically nothing in the store.

Last edited by james86; 02-14-12 at 06:03 PM.
james86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 06:26 PM   #13
bamabassman

well right now i have around 25 TOTAL rods and reels. some fly rods (5), spinning rods (6), 4 cat or deep sea set ups wchich i won't use, they're for the family if they want to catch a catfish. the rest are baitcasters. got more reels without a rod but they need serviced.
Old 02-14-12, 07:00 PM   #14
jig fisherman

3 fly rods, three baitcasting reels and about 6 rods, and 2 spinning combos, but I plan on adding to that this year.
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 07:18 PM   #15
MIbasser

19 total right now.... plan on adding about 2-3 more this year.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 07:26 PM   #16
rrw4258

I have 14 baitcasters, 2 spinning reels, and a few crappie rods.

Ryan
Old 02-14-12, 07:54 PM   #17
Tavery5

I have done some serious down sizing this year. I sold off about 15 rods and 10 reels, I used the money to upgrade the quality of rod and reels that I am using. Currently I have about 15 BC combos and 3 spinning combos.
Old 02-14-12, 09:57 PM   #18
Scott the fishman

I am 15 and only got 4 setups. No one fishes in my family and i only met about 4 kids who love to fish as much as me. But i do take great pride in all of them haha. It does kind of scare me seeing people say 'oh i just bought 5 Curados' I wonder how they get them, then i remember i dont have a steady job. HAHA
Old 02-14-12, 10:11 PM   #19
bluebasser86

If I counted every rod and reel I owned I'd guess probably around 25-30. Most are for bass but I also have several catfish rods, ultralights for trout and crappie, a muskie rod, a couple walleye trolling rods, and a flyrod. I used to have a lot more but I got rid of a bunch of them that just sat around. A lot of them were loaned or given to friends for them to use or to let their kids use them to learn how to fish.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 10:22 PM   #20
wallywallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the fishman View Post
I am 15 and only got 4 setups. No one fishes in my family and i only met about 4 kids who love to fish as much as me. But i do take great pride in all of them haha. It does kind of scare me seeing people say 'oh i just bought 5 Curados' I wonder how they get them, then i remember i dont have a steady job. HAHA

lol somtimes i get tired of shopping and lookin at fish, so i watch what people buy at bps, be amazed how many people spend like 500 to grand in there, just last saturday i seen a guy buy 2 gloomis and those 7:9'1 revos, then asked about if were the steez were, aint they like 500, yep fishing is hardcore
Old 02-14-12, 11:03 PM   #21
bamabassman

scott and wally........you 2 fellas remember this also. most of us have been collecting this stuff for a very long time. relax, when oyu reach our age..you'll probably dwarf waht we got. lol.
Old 02-14-12, 11:19 PM   #22
wallywallace

lol 2012 man, lol na yea, i know, and i will be on a forum telling younguns about rods when they have som holographic fish catcher lol
Old 02-15-12, 07:54 AM   #23
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
scott and wally........you 2 fellas remember this also. most of us have been collecting this stuff for a very long time. relax, when oyu reach our age..you'll probably dwarf waht we got. lol.
Yes, this is true haha
Old 02-15-12, 09:26 AM   #24
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Compared to some of you, I guess I hardly own any. Have 8 BC combos in the boat, along with 3 spinning outfits. Three more BC rods in the closet...no reels. No plans to replace or add to what I already have. Upgraded most of them last year.
Old 02-15-12, 12:07 PM   #25
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-style View Post
I am pushing 60 ready to go setups ranging from inshore saltwater to bass and crappie, ultra lights. And flyrods. How many? Just curious.
60 combos is a crazy number and recommend you get serious help immediately!!!!

Sold or traded 4 combo's so far this year but picked up 3 reels. Normally I carry 10-12 with me to tournaments. I may have 18 combos but I've got a couple rods, including a flyrod, that I got when I was 12-15 years old and one combo that used to be my grandfathers (1940's) but I don't fish with these.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.