Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-23-05, 10:19 PM   #1
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Temperature difference in the sun and shade

How much do think the difference in water temperature will be between two spots where one is in the direct sunlight most of the day and the other is in the shade the whole day? The temperature is forecasted to be highs of 55-60 and lows of 30-40 with plenty of sun except for one day (rain) for the next week. Temperatures have been about 10 degrees cooler the last week or so.

I fished a sunny spot recently and caught a 5lber on 11/24 (spinner) and a 4lber on 12/1 (lipless crank.) The sunny spot I've been fishing is the area around the cove enclosed in red at the top of the picture. The blue line is approximately where the creek channel runs.

The southern part of the lake is in the shade the whole day due to the position of the sun. I haven't fished the area enclosed in red at the bottom of the picture before because it takes over twice as long to hike to as the other spot. However, there are large rocks off the point and laydowns in that area that aren't visible on this aerial photo.

If you think I should fish the shaded spot, what do you think I should use? I was thinking a black/blue jig n pig, green/brown craw jig, a t-rigged watermelon seed fluke, and a rattlin lipless crank.

NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 01:17 AM   #2
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Try some of the points where the channel hits at the bottom also the dock.
Slow roll a small cheartruese spinnerbait.
Old 12-24-05, 08:36 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

when the water temp is under 50 they move to the sunny side to "warm up" if you find one in the sunny side fine it don't mean they all are in the sun it means that you are fishing cold water...

zooker
Old 12-24-05, 09:31 AM   #4
Fishie

It matters how deep the water is on the other side. You will probably catch some bass deeper on the points than in the sun. hence slow rolling. A shallow crankbait in the sunny stuff later in the day may produce also. Try that laydown by the dam also with a crankbait or jig.
Old 12-24-05, 12:35 PM   #5
JB

I like the theory of warmer banks when its around 45-50..in the spring I always hit the north bank (north east or some northwest),
due to the angle of the sun for that time of year..like zooker said, the fish will want the warmer water if possible for that temp. range.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 12:39 PM   #6
NCYankee

Thanks guys. I'm getting ready to head out to the lake now. I think I'll stick to the sunnier cove today since today is the warmest day we have had in a week or so. I'll try the other spots Monday or Tuesday. After fishing, I'm going to Dick's because I have a coupon for $10 off $50 purchase plus I just got a $50 gift card. What to buy?
Old 12-24-05, 04:06 PM   #7
Fishie

Dude get a reel or a rod, or get some groovey crankbaits. I recommend you get a DT Rapala. Nice bait. Jet some jigs and stuff too. Or Stock up on terminal tackle.
Old 12-24-05, 04:07 PM   #8
Fishie

You can fish both the sunny and shady bank just fish deeper on the shady stuff. I caught all my crankbait fish in the cold off a shady bank in 17 feet of water and on the sunny in 4 or 5 thanksgiving time. Just have to fish deeper in the shade.
Old 12-24-05, 10:23 PM   #9
NCYankee

Only one hit in two hours today. It was a snapping turtle on a craw jig.
Old 12-25-05, 08:12 AM   #10
zooker

lol did not think those nasty beast would be out in cold water.i worked from 9 am to 2:30pm saturaday and only caught 1 fish it was a keeper but man it was tough. glad i had decent weather..

zooker
Old 12-26-05, 12:31 PM   #11
bassnman30

Zook,
We only had two strikes. One was a 2 lber and I missed the other. Yes it was tough. High skies and cold clear water.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.