Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-31-05, 08:47 AM   #1
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default tackle prices

Has anyone else noticed the price of bait and tackle is going up....It's crazy.I was looking through my BPS catalog making my (wish list) and noticed the changes.Well one thing I'm gonna buy is the Dean Rojas Bronzeye frog looks killer....but it's $7.99...Ohh well.Thank God we are all rich and have an endless supply of money Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 09:32 AM   #2
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

Denny,

I mess with lures and really don't end up spending much. I tie my own flies and jigs, alter my own soft plastics, and lately have been assembling my own walleye rigs.....even been selling a few at the local bait shop to help out. I do occasionally buy a hard bait, but not often.

Can't really claim to have escaped the bait monkey's grasp, but think doing some of the things is a way to help out. Sold a bunch of crappie jigs last year and that helped too.

If you have a little extra time here and there, it may be a way to help out.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 01:39 PM   #3
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

thank god we're all rich and have an endless supply of money? if its so endless, you can send me 1,000,000 bucks lol. i stretch my birthday money over the fishing year... by no means endless
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 03:54 PM   #4
flfireman

Yeah, unfortunately that endless supply of money goes to an endless supply of bills. Ive actually been recycling my soft plastics a lot this year.
Old 12-31-05, 04:02 PM   #5
Denny_K

Default hehe

I hear ya I wish I had a money tree....you guys know where I can buy one lol Denny
Making your own baits actaully sounds fun....maybe Jb and I will have to look into this Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 08:19 PM   #6
Marty

I don't buy that much, since I've been at this a long time and have accumulated a lot of stuff. Plus I don't have the desire to try everything that's new. I'm convinced that an angler can have a high degree of success by using mass-produced, modestly priced baits that are commonly found in most tackle shops and sporting goods stores.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 08:35 PM   #7
pig n jig

Fish don't care how much you spend on tackle.Denny, I can buy baits reasonably priced. I just got some new hand pours from Chris in California.Years ago I bought his baits and did real well with them.Sure there are bear paws in my area to buy from , but I haven't yet and most likely won't looking at his prices. If you want I will instant message you the site in Cal. where I buy from, Chris does an fantastic job. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 09:40 PM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Blame rising prices on oil...and the war
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 10:07 PM   #9
Bass Fan1

Smile Try Ebay

Try to find some deals on e-bay that is were I buy a lot of my tackle. and I sell alot of it to check me out Member serch jason185fish.

Good luck
Old 01-01-06, 06:18 AM   #10
pig n jig

Make love,not WAR. Denny, I know the frog is expensive, but I am going to buy another one in a different color.They should last a while making them cost effective, not like a senko or other type of great disposable fishing bait. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 06:50 AM   #11
crankybait

oh, which reminds me... guys, if you knew me from BDO or JASS, im always trying to make cheap lures to save me some cash... think i got something this time. email me at wf_souljah@yahoo.com if you want details on how its made, my plans for it, or to test it. its a totaly new design i developed while bored in india. i already got 4 people willing to try it in NEW york, new hampshire, somewhere i forgot, and somewhere in the middlewest. there is an _ in between the wf and souljah in my email, but the underline that the hyperlinks get will probably cover it up.
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 10:59 AM   #12
basstech

Don't get me started Denny. I can see a modest increase in the prices in fishing tackle resulting due to oil prices (80% of products made are pertrolium based products). But with what I've seen It's out right CRIMINAL, and even fraudulent. I've been using shimano Citica's, Curado's and Calcutta's for the past ten years. I was more than happy to pay $150 + for a Calcutta when the quality was easily noticable over the standard reels that were available when it came out. NO amount of marketting B.S. will ever convince me they have reels that are that much better that they can justify asking $300.00 for it or the $500 for the "high end" calcutta. Now Bagley's is trying to sell the "over priced re-introductions of the '70's" lures they use to manufacture. Clearly Bass fishing and B.A.S.S. have become overcomercialized to the point of becoming elitist sports. I need to get a couple of new reels but there are only two I saw that I would be willing to spend the money on but am very leary about the durability and quality of either. I'll be damned if I ever spend $200.00 on a fishing reel without a life time warranty and gaurantee. Is anyone else as frustrated with what is going on as I am?
Old 01-01-06, 11:35 AM   #13
zooker

tech ya anit alone hoss.
i have about 12 quatum mag gear reels the old silver ones are a great reel lots of metal inside. the new ones suck way to much plastic inside them.and they don't last fer crap..am slowly moving to the quatum pt reels..but will buy and old quatum if i find one here and there...

zooker
Old 01-01-06, 11:41 AM   #14
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

bass fishing is what you make it...sure you can spend a fortune on high end rods,reels and crankbaits etc.personally i have 2 kids a mortgage and a ton of other bills so i can't justify buying that stuff.you can find quality equipment reasonably priced all over the place.
you just have to make the best of what you can afford.
better equip does not always make a better angler.i know more than one guy that went out bought a 40k+boat,top of the line tackle and can't catch fish to save their lives.they look good.that's about it.
elitist,i don't think so.but the tackle companies are out to get our cash,that's for sure.buy smart.the guys and gals on this site are a big help in choosing reasonable and proven tackle and equip.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 01:31 PM   #15
bassnman30

Zook,
The (old) Quantums are the way to go. Just bought a PT600 (2005 model)at the BPS this past week. Origional cost $160 this one was $109 and they only had one left. These are good reels even if the paint chips off the outside. Got 6 Quantums now, 4 Lews, a new Quantum Accurist, and a load of ABU's.
All I need now are G-Loomis rods. Once I get these, then I can get one of there hats !
Old 01-01-06, 02:05 PM   #16
KH.

ig the number of bass caught was determined by how much money we spent on tackle,then we would all load the boat everyday huh??
Old 01-01-06, 08:14 PM   #17
zooker

kh
want know how dull i can get. try this i spent $5893 in tackle last year -this anit counting boat,oil,or gas- caught 356 bass from 1-1-05 to 1-1-06. $16.6 bucks per bass in tackle alone. add $2982.50 more for gas, oil,boat. and it brings the grand total, i spent last year to fish to$8875.50 or a cost of $25 per fish.. this is still not counting club fees or tourny gas money..

so i ask you is bass fishing worth it? my answer hell yes!!!

zooker
Old 01-01-06, 08:15 PM   #18
bassinbob

Mostly I buy stuff when a store reduces the prices such as when Wall-mart was selling curados as cheap as $25.00. I bought 2 Arrius rods at Cabelas for $59.00, regular price was around $89.00 I think. Last night I stopped at K-mart and found 2 Bomber Long A's for .49 cents apeice. I once found Senkos for $3.00 a bag. Too bad I just started bass fishing then and didn't know how good Senkos were. There are a few lures I am going to have to buy at regular price though. I want to get a few trout colored swim baits this year. One thing I find hard to get at reduced prices is line. Prices are going up but if you don't make your own the next best thing is looking for good prices. I have so many plastic baits I could go through all of this year without buying any. That won't happen though. I need some sweet beavers and I use a ton of Horny toads. This year I might cruise some flea markets for stuff. I was at Gander MT. tonight and couldn't find any bargains. The guy said all their new stuff will be in the store by the middle of february.

Bob

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.