Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-10, 09:41 AM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Forgive my ignorance

How can any baitcast reel used for bass fishing be worth $400? I know a $150 reel is better than a $40 reel. How can anyone not rich justify $400+ reels and more than one at that?
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 10:16 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

guys that buy them are makin up for "short" comings in there personal life..

and they still can't catch fish...

zooker
Old 04-07-10, 10:24 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have a couple expensive reels (nothing that expensive though), but none have been purchased for retail price.

For some it's a confidence thing. They think expensive gear will help them catch more fish. For some they do it because they can. And some people just like to use the best gear than can afford, whether it really is better than a $150 or not.

I find myself in the last category. I like to use the best I can afford. Don't get me wrong, more than half my reels retail for less than $150, but I still like to fish the more expensive ones. I've noticed my more expensive reels do cast farther, are smoother, and will probably last me longer than my less expensive reels.

Honestly, if I had the money to fish $400 rods and reels, I probably would. Generally, you will get better parts on higher end reels, as well as better performance. Now, you probably won't get 2-3 times better performance from a $450 reel than you will from a $150 reel, but it will be better. Just like a $150 reel isn't 3 times better than $50 one, but it is better.

Plus, there's things you can get on more expensive reels that you can't on cheaper ones. Magnesium for instance. The cheapest magnesium reel on the market is the Daiwa Fuego (well, until it was discontinued).

And then you can get into Japense gear, which brings a whole new price class, as well as different things you can't get here, and a lot of collectible, limited edition items.

BB
Old 04-07-10, 10:28 AM   #4
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
How can any baitcast reel used for bass fishing be worth $400? I know a $150 reel is better than a $40 reel. How can anyone not rich justify $400+ reels and more than one at that?
Fred.....take a deep breath, and try to remember you live in America. I know it's getting harder and harder to do lately, but at least try.

They shouldn't have to justify it. We are allowed to have things we want. People can drive Corvettes, live in nice gated communities, and fish with expensive tackle if that is what they wish to do. Ones options are only limited by ones salary.

I think it is just as odd to worry about what tackle the other guy is using. If less expensive tackle catches fish just as well (and it does!), why worry?

By the way, BB144 and I have been round and round about this topic, lest you think I don't understand your point. My thing is...I'm not disputing people's right to buy it, nor their need to justify the purchase. I just question whether the expensive reel is actually better, or just a vanity or boutique purchase (which is fine too....just be honest about it!).
Old 04-07-10, 11:04 AM   #5
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Fred.....take a deep breath, and try to remember you live in America. I know it's getting harder and harder to do lately, but at least try.

They shouldn't have to justify it. We are allowed to have things we want. People can drive Corvettes, live in nice gated communities, and fish with expensive tackle if that is what they wish to do. Ones options are only limited by ones salary.

I think it is just as odd to worry about what tackle the other guy is using. If less expensive tackle catches fish just as well (and it does!), why worry?

By the way, BB144 and I have been round and round about this topic, lest you think I don't understand your point. My thing is...I'm not disputing people's right to buy it, nor their need to justify the purchase. I just question whether the expensive reel is actually better, or just a vanity or boutique purchase (which is fine too....just be honest about it!).
I suppose my deal was more the functionality being worth the high price tags. I bought several upper line Diawa reels years ago and I still use them. They were expensive reels for 20 years ago at over $150 dollars apiece. I just got a BPS sales flier last night and saw them touting Shimano baitcasters that were close to $400 and wondered what made them so great functionality wise to be worth twice what other good quality reels that are available.

It doesn't bother me where others spend their money. I know the last few years have made me re-look how I spend my money because I have less of it. I know when it comes to most things you get what you pay for to a point. I mean I use Charmin as opposed to store brand. I don't buy my clothes in the designer area at the upper end department store but I also don't buy my clothes at KMart.

I was strictly talking functionality versus value of the money. Trust me if money was no object I would buy a new truck and boat every time they got dirty. If someone else can afford the best then I am happy for them and not envious.
Old 04-07-10, 11:12 AM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

20 years ago, alot of people probably asked the same question, in regards to reels costing $150
Old 04-07-10, 11:12 AM   #7
AUFred

May be it is the designer label thing. I know from my own experiences that better equipment does function better than bad equipment. I just wonder where the point of diminshing returns occurs. A $150 rod or reel probably is 3 times as good as a $40 rod or reel but where does a $400 rod or reel fall in relationship to the $300 combo?

Last edited by AUFred; 04-07-10 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 11:13 AM   #8
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
20 years ago, alot of people probably asked the same question, in regards to reels costing $150
Some did actually. I suppose that is why I am still using them.
Old 04-07-10, 11:32 AM   #9
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
guys that buy them are makin up for "short" comings in there personal life..

and they still can't catch fish...

zooker
I have seen a lot of fish caught on Zebco 202's. I just shake my head at the thought of picking up a rod & reel loaded with top of the line string and thinking that is $1000 in my hands. I am abusive with my gear. Submerging the whole thing in dirty water to retrieve a hang-up lure or using a rod tip to push off the bank. I would be more than a little bit sick to knock an outfit like that over the side of the boat and watch it sink to the bottom.
Old 04-07-10, 11:33 AM   #10
screwballl

Catching fish is based on experience (and luck) first and foremost.

Give KVD a $12 wally world special with a few lures and I bet he can still outfish most of us here

For most people there is no need to spend more than $150-200 on the rod and reel together, and in my case I tend to spend less than $100 for both together.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 11:37 AM   #11
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Catching fish is based on experience (and luck) first and foremost.

Give KVD a $12 wally world special with a few lures and I bet he can still outfish most of us here

For most people there is no need to spend more than $150-200 on the rod and reel together, and in my case I tend to spend less than $100 for both together.
Probably true. I certainly would not tell anyone how to spend their money. I was just trying to figure out how anything could be that much better at doing what we do, chunk baits, retrieve and occasionally actually hook something other than ourselves.
Old 04-07-10, 11:39 AM   #12
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Plus, there's things you can get on more expensive reels that you can't on cheaper ones. Magnesium for instance. The cheapest magnesium reel on the market is the Daiwa Fuego (well, until it was discontinued).

And then you can get into Japense gear, which brings a whole new price class, as well as different things you can't get here, and a lot of collectible, limited edition items.

BB
Didn't the magnesium reels come with a disclaimer about not using them in brackish or saltwater?
Old 04-07-10, 11:43 AM   #13
screwballl

I think for a person that does a LOT of tournaments, then it may help to get more expensive equipment ($150-200 reels) but most of the pros only use the high dollar ones if it is given to them by a sponsor, otherwise you usually see them using the same reels many of us use.

The high dollar equipment is like many of these lures out there... they are around to catch more money from fishermen, not the fish.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 11:47 AM   #14
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
I think for a person that does a LOT of tournaments, then it may help to get more expensive equipment ($150-200 reels) but most of the pros only use the high dollar ones if it is given to them by a sponsor, otherwise you usually see them using the same reels many of us use.

The high dollar equipment is like many of these lures out there... they are around to catch more money from fishermen, not the fish.
I suppose it is about seperating the buyer from his cash ultimately. I own a few high end items in my life I just can't wrap my mind around some things. There again I never bought a $1000 suit either. LOL. Doesn't matter what kind of wrapper you put on an old fart in the end he is still an old fart.
Old 04-07-10, 11:47 AM   #15
MallenManson

Quote:
Some did actually. I suppose that is why I am still using them.

Lol I hear ya. The longer you have em, the more the "price per year" ratio drops
Old 04-07-10, 02:18 PM   #16
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most expensive things I own are a 100 dollar reel and 2 rods that cost 100 bucks each
Old 04-07-10, 03:06 PM   #17
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I usually have this argument with my gun buddies about whether a $3000 Wilson Combat is really that much better than a $1000 Kimber. It always comes back to what we all say here. If we had the money, we would by the Wilson just to say we could...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 03:51 PM   #18
nofearengineer

I have to admit, I'm kind of a sucker for fine engineering and construction. I crave order. It's why I like my fishing rods and reels to match when practical, and everything to be labeled and in its designated space. You'll never hear me say my high dollar rods and reels catch more fish (sadly, in my hands, they probably catch less...). They just appeal to me...and I have more fun fishing with them, cleaning and maintaining them, and organizing them. I'm just weird, I guess.
Old 04-07-10, 04:28 PM   #19
MallenManson

One of the main things to look at when wondering about cost is how long it's gonna last you.
I buy Red Wing boots for work and they're a lot more money, but they last 2-3 times longer than $70 boots and they're a heckuva lot more comfy.
Better, more durable parts means more money.
With that being said though, can't see myself ever buying a $400 reel.
Old 04-07-10, 04:45 PM   #20
AUFred

Quote:
I have to admit, I'm kind of a sucker for fine engineering and construction. I crave order. It's why I like my fishing rods and reels to match when practical, and everything to be labeled and in its designated space. You'll never hear me say my high dollar rods and reels catch more fish (sadly, in my hands, they probably catch less...). They just appeal to me...and I have more fun fishing with them, cleaning and maintaining them, and organizing them. I'm just weird, I guess.
Have you ever purchased a rod and reel together because they looked good together? I mean who wants a blue reel on a rod with red accents? For years I bought nothing but Berkeley Lightning Rods. Eventually I got to where I could upgrade to better rods. Those old lightning rods caught a lot of fish.
Old 04-07-10, 04:48 PM   #21
AUFred

Quote:
One of the main things to look at when wondering about cost is how long it's gonna last you.
I buy Red Wing boots for work and they're a lot more money, but they last 2-3 times longer than $70 boots and they're a heckuva lot more comfy.
Better, more durable parts means more money.
With that being said though, can't see myself ever buying a $400 reel.
I will invest good money in a good pair of shoes or a good pair of sunglasses. Lord knows poor choices in either will cause you grief. I do believe in many things you get what you pay for but some things are just over the top where fuctionality is overtaken by "look at what I can afford to buy." I doubt seriously a huge upgrade in my equipment would make me a better fisherman.
Old 04-07-10, 05:00 PM   #22
Bassboss

I see it like this; get what's best that's in your price range, and I try to do that as much as I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I have a couple expensive reels (nothing that expensive though), but none have been purchased for retail price.

For some it's a confidence thing. They think expensive gear will help them catch more fish. For some they do it because they can. And some people just like to use the best gear than can afford, whether it really is better than a $150 or not.

I find myself in the last category. I like to use the best I can afford. Don't get me wrong, more than half my reels retail for less than $150, but I still like to fish the more expensive ones. I've noticed my more expensive reels do cast farther, are smoother, and will probably last me longer than my less expensive reels.

Honestly, if I had the money to fish $400 rods and reels, I probably would. Generally, you will get better parts on higher end reels, as well as better performance. Now, you probably won't get 2-3 times better performance from a $450 reel than you will from a $150 reel, but it will be better. Just like a $150 reel isn't 3 times better than $50 one, but it is better.

BB

Supreme? It's made of mag. right?
Old 04-07-10, 05:10 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
I will invest good money in a good pair of shoes or a good pair of sunglasses. Lord knows poor choices in either will cause you grief. I do believe in many things you get what you pay for but some things are just over the top where fuctionality is overtaken by "look at what I can afford to buy." I doubt seriously a huge upgrade in my equipment would make me a better fisherman.

I can certainly agree with that. Brings to mind a certain vehicle that I won't mention, in case somebody here owns one lol
Old 04-07-10, 05:59 PM   #24
nofearengineer

Quote:
I can certainly agree with that. Brings to mind a certain vehicle that I won't mention, in case somebody here owns one lol
Oh, I just KNOW you're not talking about a Hummer!!!!

Can't wait til Clint reads this.
Old 04-07-10, 06:06 PM   #25
MallenManson

Quote:
Oh, I just KNOW you're not talking about a Hummer!!!!

Can't wait til Clint reads this.

Aha! So that's x2 on the Hummer, obviously

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.