Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-08, 02:43 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question Carolina Rig setup question

I have had some good luck with a modified Carolina rig setup as of lately. By modified, I mean that I am just pinching a weight directly onto the line about 12" to 18" above the hook. I know this can reduce line strength greatly. I am looking to have a spinning reel setup solely for carolina rigging so I want to do it correctly. This is what I was thinking of doing and you guys can tell if that is a good idea or give me some additional pointers.

I have 15# to 20# moss green braid on the reel. I then plan on putting an egg weight (size to be determined) on the line, then one or two plastic beads (not sure which color) and then a swivel. From the swivel, I want to use a mono or fluoro leader tied to a 3/0 or 4/0 hook with a weightless lizard or worm.

My questions are -

1. What # leader should I use? I heard that I should use less than the braided strength in case of hang ups. That way I only lose the setup below the swivel.

2. Does it matter what size swivel I should use?

3. Is there any weights that can be taken on and off the line easily so I can change the size of the weights without having to undo everything? Also what would be a proper size weight compared to the size of the lure?

4. Should I use different color beads? I heard that I should use tungsten beads because they make a loud clicking sound when they hit each other.

5. Is this an effective setup to use a 6" or larger lizard or worm for the big bass? I understand this is an "open to interpretation" question. I guess what I am asking is - Has anyone caught 4# or bigger bass with a carolina rig setup?

6. What are some good retrieve methods to use with a Carolina rig setup?

Sorry for the numerous questions. I just want to get it right.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 02:55 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I usually go with the same test lb leader, but thats up to you. Many on here will have dif ideas on mono or other types to use.

I use a 1/2 or 3/4 ounce egg shaped sinker, the line goes through it.
You really dont need to mess around with changing the weight, you can
experiment with sizes if you want, but the standard is 1/2-1 ounce up here...
Keep the leader anywhere from 18-30 inches
I use barrel swivel and red glass beads (one or two), however color isnt that important.
Make a slow sweeping pull of the rod and cover lots of bottom, its a ho hum type of deal, but will produce.
Use lizards or any 4 inch plastic, however the choices are endless, worms,
craws etc
I'd use whatever hook seems right for the plastics size/diameter, a gammy 3/0 offset should do it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 03:20 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

Thanks JB. My hook of choice is a 4/0 ewg gammy (red color). "Hohum" is how I like to fish most of my plastics. I rarely fish spinners or buzzs which is what I call fast fishing. I fish most of my plastics (trigged) with sporatic jerks and pulls with long pauses in between. Every now and then I will throw them out and use a steady retrieve with lots of twitching. I imagine the carolina setup might be a good setup for the banjo minnows I have. We will see. I am looking to do something different since I have yet to land a single big fish.

I just found what I believe to be a couple of good articles on C-rigging.

http://www.fishin.com/articles/georg...arolinarig.htm

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/article...ahlke_001.html

Last edited by Fishnngolfn; 07-07-08 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 04:53 PM   #4
JB

all you can do is try, i use a flippin stick for that heavy set up, you'll have to get used to casting with that big egg sinker and leader, but you'll get the hang of it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 05:01 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

I have thrown a heavy sinker with a couple of hooks loaded with chicken liver for catfish, so I know I can throw a Crig on a spinning reel. I just hope to get comfortable enough with my baitcaster to make it my perminent Crig setup. Several articles I have read recommend a baitcaster for Crigs.
Old 07-07-08, 07:01 PM   #6
Fishbear
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

If you are fishing pressured or "gin" clear water, I prefer the mojo set up. Works great, and it does not use a large sinker nor does it use a split shot crimped on your line.

www.mojolures.com

BPS sells their version of the kit a lot cheaper.
Old 07-07-08, 08:22 PM   #7
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

add these to your c-rig setup http://lindyfishingtackle.com/tackle...me.php?cat=108 they do work
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 10:44 AM   #8
Fishnngolfn

This is what I have setup on my 7' baitcaster. 20# moss green power pro braid as the main line. 1/2 oz egg weight followed by 2 red glass beads. Then a size 7 brass barrel swivel. Then I have attached 10# cajun red mono as a leader (around 18" to 20"). 4/0 EWG red gammy hook with a Zoom 6" lizard.
Old 07-08-08, 10:46 AM   #9
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbear View Post
If you are fishing pressured or "gin" clear water, I prefer the mojo set up. Works great, and it does not use a large sinker nor does it use a split shot crimped on your line.

www.mojolures.com

BPS sells their version of the kit a lot cheaper.

Broken Link.
Old 07-08-08, 07:36 PM   #10
Fishbear

http://www.mojolures.com

Try this one, it should work.

And change the cajun red to flourocarbon, for more sensitivity, and abrasion resistance.
Old 07-08-08, 08:12 PM   #11
Fishnngolfn

The link works now.

I keep reading on here that flourocarbon is not good.
Old 07-08-08, 08:29 PM   #12
Fishbear

I use nothing but braid now for any plastics fishing. That said, I do keep a small spool of Flurocarbon with me at all times. If the fish are spooky or I feel they are seeing the line, I add a 10 - 20 ft. Flourocarbon leader, spliced directly to my braid.
Old 07-08-08, 09:46 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbear View Post
I use nothing but braid now for any plastics fishing. That said, I do keep a small spool of Flurocarbon with me at all times. If the fish are spooky or I feel they are seeing the line, I add a 10 - 20 ft. Flourocarbon leader, spliced directly to my braid.
I do the same thing, except I often opt for a 2ft or so leader (except C-rigging). I see no need for anything longer to have to cast through the guides slowing the lure and shortening cast distance. I can't cast good without the knot slowing my lure down, so I definately don't need help casting crappily.

BB
Old 07-08-08, 10:17 PM   #14
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

When chosing swivels, go with one brand and one brand only.

SAMPO USA

Made in the United States and are some darn good swivels. They're expensive, about $15.99 for 10, but work darn well.

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 10:22 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

They can also run you up to about $40 for 10-15 of them. Was looking at them in BPS the other day.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.