Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-09, 01:52 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Spinning reel question

I have a diawa RG 1000 spinning reel that has developed a rather problematic issue. The drag tightens itself while line is running on it. This is on my ultralight rig with 4 lbs test. I have replaced the washers that should control the drag when it is tightened but still have the same issue. Any ideas?
Old 02-27-09, 06:27 AM   #2
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I have a diawa RG 1000 spinning reel that has developed a rather problematic issue. The drag tightens itself while line is running on it. This is on my ultralight rig with 4 lbs test. I have replaced the washers that should control the drag when it is tightened but still have the same issue. Any ideas?
Cass,

Assuming that the spool rotates (as it FEEDS line off) in the same direction as you turn the drag knob to TIGHTEN the drag, your problem is most likely that the underside of the drag knob is binding against the face if the spool. That will cause the knob to turn WITH the spool, thus tightening the drag.
If the reel has accumulated crud under the drag knob then cleaning both that AND the face of the spool may alleviate the problem. Also, a LIGHT coat of grease or graphite lube might solve the problem but must be used very sparingly.
I can't think of any reels whose drag knobs are tightened by turning in the opposite direction, since that would cause loosening and the possible loss of the knob.
I'm not familiar with the details of that model but is there a chance that you've lost a washer that may have been installed between the bottom of the knob and the face of the spool? I've not seen such a set-up but careful scrutiny of a schematic will reveal whether or not there is/was one.
Keep us posted, please.

LancerVI
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 09:13 AM   #3
Captmikestarrett

Or you have braided line on it with out the required mono backing..

Capt Mike
Old 02-27-09, 10:52 AM   #4
Joel

I've seen several spinning reels that came with the spool/drag knob off center. I've also seen this happen after a reel has taken a bad fall to a hard surface. If this indeed is a issue with your reel, remove the spool and then check the shaft to make sure it's spinning without any wobble. If the shaft is bent, you need to have it replaced.
Old 02-27-09, 11:16 AM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

joel...now that is some very good infomation pal. i'll have to look at that when i get another spinning reel. thanks pal.
Old 02-27-09, 11:36 AM   #6
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
joel...now that is some very good infomation pal. i'll have to look at that when i get another spinning reel. thanks pal.
Last year while browsing at Dicks, I checked out the Daiwa Capricorn Blister pack reels. Every single one of them had a off center knob. I took a look at the sample reel. Same thing. So I removed the spool, and sure enough the shaft had the slightest of wobbles. Perhaps, this is why you see these reels in blister packs sold at a steep discount in Dicks, Walmarts, Sports Authority, etc. They have to be 2nds.
Old 02-27-09, 03:07 PM   #7
aikenyounggun

i dont know but if someone you know fixes reels go ask them to look at it

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.