Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 07-29-12, 12:05 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default My new favorite fast food -

I like Dan Cathy's nuggets....................
AND, I see a few Democratic politicians (Chicago and Philadelpia especially) quickly willing to stomp all over his First Amendment rights. Funny thing though, not any noticable response from the Rainbow Colitition - they have much more intelligence in respecting the opinion of other's (and the Constitution) than the Mayor of Chicago or a Philly councilman.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-29-12 at 12:14 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 02:16 PM   #2
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

August 1, we are all going to Chick-fil-A and have lunch to support them and their moral stand.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 02:57 PM   #3
Jrob78

Even left-wing wacko, Michael Bloomberg, publicly criticized the mayors of Boston, Chicago and San Francisco over banning Chick-Fil-A from their cities. You know it's bad when that knucklehead takes your side. It's ashame that it's no longer ok to have values and morals in the country.
Old 07-29-12, 03:18 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would support Chik-Fil-A on this even if I didn't agree with them. These mayors have no right to use their official power to prevent a legitimate business from operating. Express their opinions, sure...but denying an operating permit is illegal.
Old 07-29-12, 03:47 PM   #5
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well when the owner comes out and says he is going to refuse service to certain groups or lifestyles – then the consequences are a major needs to stand up for his city. FYI it is not illegal to deny a building permit, not sure what back yard or coffee shop logic that came from but not so. This is all over same sex issues that a few have chosen to carve out the reason behind the comments by the majors. I am not against same sex marriage and don’t really care what life style someone picks for themselves. It is their private decision.

As with all political views those are those who are for and those against. My .02 is educate myself before making a comment off the cuff in a public forum. MY

Quotes not my opinion at all:

http://prospect.org/article/dont-fil-first-amendment

“Chick-fil-A should be denied permission to operate in the neighborhood he represents because of the "bigoted, homophobic comments by Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy, who recently came out against same-sex marriage."

The courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, have consistently ruled that money is a form of “speech” subject to constitutional protections.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/287389/chic...GVbsH7EzOmE.99

Mother Jones
“The government blocking a business from opening based on the owner’s political views is a clear threat to everyone’s freedom of speech—being unpopular doesn’t mean you don’t have rights. It’s only by protecting the rights of those whose views we find odious that we can hope to secure them for ourselves.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/287389/chic...zOmE.99”
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 03:53 PM   #6
the pyromaniac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am a Christian. I have my beliefs on this issue, and they are inspired by the Bible, rather than a fleshly perversion. I hate the Republican party and all it stands for, but I am firmly behind Chick-fil-A and its ownership. Marriage has meant one man and one woman since the beginning of human history.
Old 07-29-12, 04:02 PM   #7
the pyromaniac

It violated the principles of a free market economy, as well as the Constitutional guarantee of freedom of speech, to deny an operating permit to a business based on politics.
Old 07-29-12, 04:03 PM   #8
the pyromaniac

It violated the principles of a free market economy, as well as the Constitutional guarantee of freedom of speech, to deny an operating permit to a business based on politics.
Old 07-29-12, 04:03 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pyromaniac View Post
I am a Christian. I have my beliefs on this issue, and they are inspired by the Bible, rather than a fleshly perversion. I hate the Republican party and all it stands for, but I am firmly behind Chick-fil-A and its ownership. Marriage has meant one man and one woman since the beginning of human history.
Yes I too define marriage as a man and a women joining together to become one flesh.

I'm sure your use of the word hate above could easily be construed as completely un-Christian. A typo probably.
Old 07-29-12, 06:11 PM   #10
Tavery5

Politics and Religion, this one is going to be classic.
Old 07-29-12, 06:16 PM   #11
bassinbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Yes I too define marriage as a man and a women joining together to become one flesh.

I'm sure your use of the word hate above could easily be construed as completely un-Christian. A typo probably.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 07-29-12, 06:54 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasspider View Post
Well when the owner comes out and says he is going to refuse service to certain groups or lifestyles – then the consequences are a major needs to stand up for his city.
First, he never said he would "refuse service" to anyone. Chik-Fil-A operates under the EEOC guidelines just like everyone else, and acknowledges this freely.

Quote:
FYI it is not illegal to deny a building permit, not sure what back yard or coffee shop logic that came from but not so.
It is indeed illegal for the government to violate the First Amendment rights of a citizen. Penalizing them on the basis of their free speech would be such a violation. Some lawyer you are. You probably want to force them to bake rainbow cupcakes.
Old 07-29-12, 07:00 PM   #13
keithdog

I myself believe in the traditional marriage as being man and woman. Thats how God intended it and anything otherwise is a perverted marriage. However, if a man/man or woman/woman marriage takes place, it's no skin off my back. Is it perverted and wrong, I think yes. But does it affect me, no. BUT, for any goverment official to come out and condemn another Americans opinion on the issue is simply wrong! How many men and women have dies protecting our freedom of speech? Shame on anyone comdemning anothers free right to express themselves.
Old 07-29-12, 07:02 PM   #14
MO_CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Politics and Religion, this one is going to be classic.
Mother Eff...not another "Just Sayn"
Old 07-29-12, 09:18 PM   #15
skeeter1804

I am a Christian therefore I am against same sex marriage. Nuf said.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 10:14 PM   #16
Bassmasterpapa
BassFishin.Com Member

We should all go fishing with chicken nuggets when were done eating at chick-fil-a
Bassmasterpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 10:53 PM   #17
Vegasspider

Actions speak louder than words. There are no Chick Fil A’s in the state of Nevada because of the CEO’s beliefs and there are no locations in the city of San Francisco. I still like to eat the fast food garb and do from time to time when I do find one in the perfect scenario location for the wholly CEO. Just saying. If that ain’t refusing to serve to someone dislike what is? That’s all I got to say on the subject, politics and religion are not my thing.
Old 07-29-12, 10:54 PM   #18
Vegasspider

Default Yeah lets do

Bet we could catch a catfish, carp or something on a nugget. Unless it's a bass then it will be the new hot lure on the circuit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmasterpapa View Post
We should all go fishing with chicken nuggets when were done eating at chick-fil-a
Old 07-29-12, 11:01 PM   #19
Vegasspider

Default It's not a first amendment right to file for a building permit

Building permits are local law not First Amendment law statute's. Show me where it is and I will admit I am wrong. Not my area of expertise. Again not much to say on the subject. I have bigger things to fry if you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
First, he never said he would "refuse service" to anyone. Chik-Fil-A operates under the EEOC guidelines just like everyone else, and acknowledges this freely.

It is indeed illegal for the government to violate the First Amendment rights of a citizen. Penalizing them on the basis of their free speech would be such a violation. Some lawyer you are. You probably want to force them to bake rainbow cupcakes.
Old 07-29-12, 11:59 PM   #20
WTL

When we brief cases for law school, we start by outlining the facts, then the issue, the holding then the reasoning. Each step is necessary to understanding how a case came out, and I think the same is true for just talking on here.

There is a lot of reasoning in this threat, thats great. But what are the facts? Just what did Mr. Cathy say (whose father, for purposes of disclosure, is an old family friend)?

We need the facts so we can determine the issue and have a better debate.

As for the building permit deal, what happened in that hubbob about the mosque near ground zero? Werent some people in favor of denying them a permit of some sort?
Old 07-30-12, 12:08 AM   #21
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pyromaniac View Post
I wish there was still some rule against violating the principles of the free market economy. There used to be, it was a case called Lochner, and it was famously refuted by the Supreme Court in two big cases in the 30s and 50s.

There is a decent blog post on chik fil a on the Volock Conspiracy blog.
http://www.volokh.com/2012/07/25/no-...-sex-marriage/

Last edited by WTL; 07-30-12 at 12:15 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 12:25 AM   #22
the pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post

I don't claim to be perfect but I stand by the use of the word. I'm against the two-party system as a whole, but I'm especially anti-Republican because of how my belief system is hijacked by corrupt men who try to control the masses by preaching Christianity while maintaining a distinctly anti-Christian platform.
Old 07-30-12, 12:55 AM   #23
WTL

I too dislike the GOP using evangelicals to the extent they do. It just makes me want to change the party though, not hate or recoil against a party that adopts political strategy pursued because of its effectiveness.
Old 07-30-12, 01:03 AM   #24
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
As for the building permit deal, what happened in that hubbob about the mosque near ground zero? Werent some people in favor of denying them a permit of some sort?
Yes, there were many that were in favor of denying them a permit. Those people were wrong. They weren't wrong about the reasons Muslims wanted to build it there, but they were wrong on the law.

In the end, it might have been a moot point, because nothing gets built in New York without the unions, and there was nobody willing to build it, for PR reasons mostly.

Popular sentiment is a valid reason for being against something, and even voicing your opposition, but using official government power to either sanction or deny a business permit based upon politics or religious leanings is a disgrace.
Old 07-30-12, 02:13 AM   #25
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Yes, there were many that were in favor of denying them a permit. Those people were wrong. They weren't wrong about the reasons Muslims wanted to build it there, but they were wrong on the law.

In the end, it might have been a moot point, because nothing gets built in New York without the unions, and there was nobody willing to build it, for PR reasons mostly.

Popular sentiment is a valid reason for being against something, and even voicing your opposition, but using official government power to either sanction or deny a business permit based upon politics or religious leanings is a disgrace.
All fair points. I just wonder if there are some who havent been consistent on the issue at hand.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.