Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-07, 04:44 PM   #1
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Whats the Biggest thing you learned this year?

In your own words, describe what was the biggest thing you learned this year from this site. And if so tell the person who taught you that, and thank him or her for the info. And what you might want to learn for next year!
Old 12-05-07, 04:56 PM   #2
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I learned that JB is one of the funniest azz people in the World! Thanks for keepin' it alive JB!

Seriously though, I learned alot about topwater baits this year. Before, I would just throw a twitch bait and shake it, reel, etc. Now I know all the different baits, how to work them, when/where to use them, etc. I can't thank just one person, I need to thank the whole board.
Thank you guys!

As for next year, I would like to learn how to thoroughly fish C-Rigs, and the drop-shot. I would like to thank Zooker for information on the C-Rig, and IslandBass, our "Foremost Promoter" for help on the dropper.

-LL-
Thanks Guys!
Old 12-05-07, 04:58 PM   #3
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

By the way, good post ROBZILLA!

-LL-
Old 12-05-07, 07:19 PM   #4
pig n jig

I learned not to beleive anything anyone says and only 1/2 of what I tell people ?

I learned that from all of you who frequent this site, including myself. Peanutbutter N jelly.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 11:29 PM   #5
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
I learned not to beleive anything anyone says
I don't believe anything at all without pictures that I can tell are not altered!

Not sure from where I learned it but the shaky head with Gulp worm was my ticket this year.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 12:19 AM   #6
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I learned far too much to be able to pick one thing. I think the best lesson I've learned is that following my own instincts is always a good idea. Many people on here (with tons more experience than me) have different opinions and theories on every aspect of fishing. In testing out other people's suggestions for myself I have learned a great deal about my own fishing strengths and weaknesses and also that I have developed good instincts for the game. For this I have to thank everyone on here. This willingness to share information and offer advice is the single biggest reason my learning curve has been so smooth.

Individually, I have to say a special thank you to Reb, who seemed to take me under his wing from the time I first joined up. He has been a great mentor.

All the regulars on here, especially zooker and pnj have always answered my questions with the kind of detail I need to drill through my wooden head. Thanks to all the regulars on here who put up with my questions.

This was a great idea for a thread!
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 09:59 AM   #7
brushhog

I'm with Wallstreet, The guys on here who are far better fisherman than I could hope to be, readily share knowledge and are incredibly patient with the newbie questions.

As far as learning, I've learned too much to single out one. If I had to pick, I'd go with two simple things,
First, fish your water thoroughly and adapt to changes in conditions.

Second, take care of the little things first, check your line, keep sharp hooks , and know your knots before you get on the water! Thanks Guys!

Last edited by brushhog; 12-06-07 at 10:11 AM.
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 10:54 AM   #8
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Likewise, I have learned a ton of important info. from this forum. It's all come in handy, especially since this was my first full year fishing in tourneys.

If I had to single out the most important thing I learned this year, it would have to be the ability to try new things without being afraid of what your competition is doing..to me it's what sets you apart from the average. For instance, this year I threw a 3"topwater popper in 15ft of water and caught a 4lb'er...never would have done that in the past...you can't be afraid of getting radical when the fish are hard to come by.
Old 12-06-07, 01:38 PM   #9
brushhog

PS - I forgot to thank Reb, Zooker, Lizards, Fly, for their patience and depth of knowledge... JB, & WTL for knowledge and humor... PNJ for being a NY guy who adds as much knowledge as our Southern Brethern... Island Bass for teaching me the dropshot.. and Finally Texasbasser, Cranky, LL, WIU and the other under 25 crowd who give us all hope for the future!!!!

I'm sure I left others out, No hard feelings!

Last edited by brushhog; 12-06-07 at 01:44 PM.
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 07:39 PM   #10
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
PS - I forgot to thank Reb, Zooker, Lizards, Fly, for their patience and depth of knowledge... JB, & WTL for knowledge and humor... PNJ for being a NY guy who adds as much knowledge as our Southern Brethern... Island Bass for teaching me the dropshot.. and Finally Texasbasser, Cranky, LL, WIU and the other under 25 crowd who give us all hope for the future!!!!

I'm sure I left others out, No hard feelings!
Can't say it much better than this......
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 09:28 PM   #11
senko

Where to start.... I've learned too much to list. thank you to all who post, all are a big help. Just like what has been said above...
Old 12-06-07, 10:03 PM   #12
crankybait

hmm... just a wide assortment, I guess. Just still improving on basically everything.
Old 12-06-07, 10:12 PM   #13
pig n jig

The truth be known, I am constantly learning. Revamping best describes what I have been doing.I take what have I learned here from all of you here at the site and then I add it to what I already learned from time spent out on the water and see what helps me and what doesn't. I think Rebbasser and Lizardsrule has been the biggest impact on helping me learn new things . In saying that, they have been here longer than anyone else. (Guest) Marty was here too. Never could figure out what took him so long to join. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 07:49 AM   #14
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

This was my first full year in this web site, and I have always been so very impressed and appreciative in how the members here are willing to share their knowledge with others. Many in here have replied to posts I have writtten, and I wish to thank all of you. I do have a special appreciation for Reb who showed plenty of patience in getting me started with making my own spinnerbaits. I know I dogged him with many questions and he was always happy to assist me in any way he could. Thanks again Reb. The spinnerbaits I made this year landed many a bass, and many friends and family members are now using my baits with success. I'm sending some to Hawaii this week to a good friend of mine.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 05:51 PM   #15
Raul

Whats the Biggest thing you learned this year?

That the BaitMonkey remains as powerful as ever.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 05:56 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Whats the Biggest thing you learned this year?

That the BaitMonkey remains as powerful as ever.
He's been on steroids in my case ROTFLMAO.

The biggest thing I learned this year is that I love to fish. I've been fishing a ton of saltwater stuff, this year. And no matter what I'm fishing for I love to fish "ALL DAY". I must say that I prefer to fish for bigger fish, than little ones or quantities, but that really isn't anything I learned new this year. I've also learned, that I still mostly enjoy coming here and sharing my time on this site. It has become more redundant over the years, but I still have a lot to learn, and this is where I consider alot of freinds to hang out, even though I never met most of them in person.

Lizards
Old 12-07-07, 06:38 PM   #17
zooker

i learned how to fish deep cranks effectivly, this past summer..

if you look at the elder members named in this thread you may notice one VERY simalar aspect.

zooker
Old 12-07-07, 09:59 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've learned so much form this site this year. From line to rods, to how to fish lures! I can't pcik out just one thing. I also should thank everyone here for all the knowledge they have bstowed upon me!

My dad sarcasticaly thanks you all too for all the things he's had to buy this year for fishing!! I told him blame the baitmonkey...
Old 12-08-07, 12:05 AM   #19
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i learned how to fish deep cranks effectivly, this past summer..

if you look at the elder members named in this thread you may notice one VERY simalar aspect.

zooker
Drop a hint would ya Zook, I'm getting a headache from trying to figure it out!
Brush Diddly
Old 12-08-07, 05:31 PM   #20
flfireman

Ive learned Zook is and will always be "Da MAN"- professional fisher, pro forklift guy and responsible for more Latino women w/ broken uuummm Hearts than any one I know. Always, always reading and learning. Yes, JB has got to be the class clown of the board. Ive learned if you plan to rebuild your boat, nothing takes 2 weeks- nothing. Learned that politics, religion, women and fishing all can have stuff in common.
Old 12-08-07, 10:19 PM   #21
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Ive learned Zook is and will always be "Da MAN"- professional fisher, pro forklift guy and responsible for more Latino women w/ broken uuummm Hearts than any one I know.
and just you wait for "da man's" florida tour...

zooker
Old 12-09-07, 10:25 AM   #22
ROBZILLA

I think the vast knowledge of people on this site is mind boggling! Not only do we know fishing, but we all help each other with other pressing topics. If your looking for advice for fishing or just fixing something around the house, you can come here and post your question and have an answer in no time. I have "NEVER" seen a question on the boards that have not been answered! And that right there to me is a wonderful thing. We have all seen people come and go, and come back after long breaks. These are the people with personalities that make the boards what they are. I consider every one on the board to be friends and if there's anything I could do to help I'm always here. I know we all have a sense of humor and I know we all have Passion for fishing, and to lend a helping hand to a person who is struggling with what ever life has to throw at them fishing or other wise, this is the place to come for the help you need.

I would like to thank guys from our 9000 poster right down to the guy who was brave enough to put up their first post. Thanks for your help and thank you for your input.

Robby.
Old 12-09-07, 01:19 PM   #23
bassnman30

I learned that a bass CAN be caught by the back hook only and with little penetration. Alot of pictures on this site have proven this "fact". Furthermore, I always thought that you had to hook the fish well enough to keep it from shaking off. I guess that I was wrong about that.
Old 12-09-07, 02:12 PM   #24
THE DL
BassFishin.Com Member

I have learned soooo much, i havent even tried half the techniques i learned since i joined this forum. There are a lot of great trustworthy guys on this page. But, the most impotant thing i've learned is to match the bait with an appropriate sized hook, not too small or not to little.
Old 12-12-07, 12:28 AM   #25
KenDammit

that leaving 1000 dollars worth of tackle sitting idle for 6 months is a gigantic waste of money.

What I learned this year isn't so much about fishing but really about myself. I dealt with a LOT of stuff this year, a lot of it rough to the point that I almost ended my life....but I am still surviving. It makes me realize how much things like fishing should be cherished and not taken for granted. How much feeling a simple breeze should be cherished and not taken for granted. Theres no need to get into a whole story of my life but I went to a pretty dark place and I'm coming back out of it and thats the best thing I could ever learn.

I doubt many or any of you remember me around here and I wouldn't have come back except I clicked a wrong link in my favorites..fate I guess. A

So those of you just starting, never take it for granted, do your part, make it the best it can be for the person coming after you and for those of you/us that have been doing it for a while, regardless if we took time off or not, cherish all the memories, even the "one that got away"...you never know when it might be the last time.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.