Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-08, 12:52 PM   #1
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo
Default Question ?

If a reservoir is low say 15-20 ft does this mean that the bass seek even deeper water further out from the shore therefore making it impossible to catch them from shore ...even though it can be pretty deep at the right points on the shore line even after losing that much water? Here some pics to get you thinking!

14ft of water gone....

Water should be a foot over that rock and I should be under water were im standing !

water should be up another 15-16 one of my honey holes ...the water still extends pretty deep down that ledge though ...is the still bass holding to that ? is my question it is a very LARGE rock point at the very tip of a cove i dont have numbers and how deep it was but before the drought im guessing 30-40 feet if not deeper
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 01:01 PM   #2
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If the water temp is below 50 degrees (which I am assuming that it is), my guess is that the current 15 to 20' water (or even deeper) is where you will find most of your fish. That's doesn't mean that you won't catch fish shallower or even really shallow this time of year with a few days of warm sunny weather. fortunately those rocks you are standing on appear to get ample sunshine and the water adjacent to them appears to be pretty clear so those rocks will definitely benefit from the radiant heat and attract baitfish (because of more active plankton), and subsequently more bass.
Old 01-11-08, 01:13 PM   #3
BassMoJo

Thanks for the speedy repley bob ...I hope you are right im about to go fish around there and hopefully pull some out ...its rainy and 45 degrees to though!

Last edited by BassMoJo; 01-11-08 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 01:27 PM   #4
BassMoJo

How would you go about fishing that ...I was thinking a pig n jig with a big chunk for bigger profile or slappin on a 1oz bullet weight and jigin around with it ?
Old 01-11-08, 01:40 PM   #5
Raul

It looks like many of the lakes I fish, steep sloping banks and that shaly rock bottom composition. I wouldnīt fish too far from the bank, in that kind of lakes fish donīt move too far away from the bank, the lake drops all they need to do is to go slightly deeper. Itīs not like flat lakes, in that kind of lakes fish are "hanging" from the face of the bluff so they donīt move away too much, the "bottom" is right next to them but instead of being the floor itīs a wall.

Good place for D-shotting, shakey heading, wacky or split shot rigging, tubes and deep running crankbaits retrieved paralel to the bank are the ticket. Pay attetion to the line when your soft plastic baits sink, they usually strike them on the fall. 10-20 ft sounds like a good depth to find the fish, if the water is "cold" try first the sunny side, rocks trap heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zimapan Revolucionario 006.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1912  
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 01:46 PM   #6
BassMoJo

Thanks Raul ill tell you guys how I do today!

Last edited by BassMoJo; 01-11-08 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 05:13 PM   #7
BassMoJo

Didnt catch a damn thing.
Old 01-11-08, 05:57 PM   #8
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
How would you go about fishing that ...I was thinking a pig n jig with a big chunk for bigger profile or slappin on a 1oz bullet weight and jigin around with it ?
Raul, is right! There is also a great article in this month's Bassin' magazine (top 20 deep water tips for winter). What Raul is referring to could be translated to ledges along those vertical walls. If you were in a boat you could "parallell" those ledges a lot better or "stair-step" craw-fish imitating baits (like you are hinting at). Instead of heavy fast falling baits I would lean towards the slow falling baits in cold water. They could still be large if you want because big bish like a big easy meal. However your numbers will be better with the smaller baits. At any rate keep it slow and near those ledges.
Old 01-11-08, 06:02 PM   #9
3dkicker

My question would be with the water down 15' do the fish have something to relate to that is down 15-20'. If not then find cover shallower than 15' and fish that. Start deep and fish shallow or the other way around. At least now you have pics that you can use when the water returns to normal pool.
Old 01-11-08, 06:43 PM   #10
pig n jig

If I were to guess, the fish are out suspended.When the water has risen, that is when you catch them shallow, but if the water has dropped, look for deeper water areas with sharp break offs or open water suspended fish. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 07:53 PM   #11
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mojo, if you don't have/use a GPS to mark it grab a camera and take pictures of that lake from where you normally are when you fish it. Then when it fills back up you will know where the structure/cover is. If you do have a GPS mark those points/drops/etc. so you can find them when the water comes back up.

Last winter the lake I usually fish was way down and now I'm kicking myself for not marking the flooded timber that was above water which is now real deep and hard to find even with a depthfinder.
Old 01-11-08, 08:21 PM   #12
Bob Smith

Keep in mind the gentleman's original post stated "from the shore". He has a very special handicap in this case.
Old 01-12-08, 06:33 PM   #13
BassMoJo

yea ...past decmeber 22nd you cant take your boat out on this reservoir and I cant take mine on it to start with because it is elec. only I have a 40hp so it doesnt work out ...but I fished it just about everyway I could and i didnt even get a bite so ...idk
Old 01-13-08, 12:29 AM   #14
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If the fish are suspended and the temps below 50 then try the Float n Fly. That rig was developed for suspended winter fish. Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.