Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-01-09, 03:12 PM   #26
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think that would be a great idea.with this inplace there would be alot less people on the water .People who were not dedicated to boating would probably not bother.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 07:43 PM   #27
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

THAT is a fantastic idea 66. i wholeheartedly AGREE 100%. and sorry if this offends anyone, i also think that EVERYONE should be re-tested every few years too. this is for ANY operating or driving liscense. cars, trucks, boats cycles....whatever you use.
Old 05-04-09, 03:27 PM   #28
fastglass1
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
I personally think that all boaters should be licensed to drive a boat with over 200hp....that means completing some type of safety boating course or something equivilant.....
Every boater in Oregon has to have a license to drive a boat or personal water craft. To do this you have to take a class and pass a test.

According to the instuctor of the class I took, it has helped to reduce accidents.
fastglass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 04:07 PM   #29
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I agree totaly, I was in a canoe when I was 12 with my older cousin when a hot boat zipped by at 65+ and rolled us. Luckely the water was warm and we made it to shore, but we lost quite a bit of gear and had a heck of a time getting the boat back. If you have to go fast, which i think is fine, watch out for others and be safe.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 06:56 PM   #30
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't think it should be 200 hp and over I think it should be ALL.I have heard of catfisherman in john boats that have no business out there some have no lights .Boating accidents on the news here in St Louis are not all high speed incidents by a long shot and most have alcohol involved .
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 09:18 PM   #31
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
I don't think it should be 200 hp and over I think it should be ALL.I have heard of catfisherman in john boats that have no business out there some have no lights .Boating accidents on the news here in St Louis are not all high speed incidents by a long shot and most have alcohol involved .
Your probably right.....i've seen plenty of guys pull some pretty stupid stunts in boats that had alot less horsepower than 200......getting licensed won't probably won't change some of the idiots on the water, but it'll help insure every boater knows more about handling a boat....whats safe and whats not.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 06:11 AM   #32
1FASTLASER

I think its about time that I should make a comment as well.
Everyone of ya'll that know me now how I reap on setting your boats up correctly ......setting for optimum performance. I have explained the reason why..............the boat runs and drives 100% better after doing this. One thing I have posted several times before is that I HARP on saftey....kill switch and PFD ANYTIME the motor is running....be it 5 ft or 5 miles.
What I have failed to post is these comments in the SAME POST with the addition of saying..........
And boater pointed this out
Even though you have a rig that can push the limit....DONT DO IT UNLESS like boater said you have taken the time........and not 2 or 3 rides......many many hours of learning your boat..what it can do and what it does do when different things occur. A fast boat can have a 2.5 280 drag Merc on it or it can be a 14ft tin boat with a 9.9. THEY ALL WILL KILL MAME OR OTHERWISE do harm if not respected and driven with sense.
Even though I constantly strive for a new topend number I do it at the right time and with the right conditions. I have taken the time like boater to learn how a boat reacts to different conditions.
Our buddy RA had an angel ridin wit him. RA knows how to pilot a fast boat........but.........it just goes to show ya like posted we aint bulletproof........it can happen to ANYONE AT ANYTIME

The state of New jersey requires and operators license to run a boat and I agree that ALL states should 5hp or 300hp it dont matter
Old 05-07-09, 08:24 PM   #33
bamabassman

laser, oyu are so right my friend. now heal up man, yes i heard bout you bub. take it easy now.
Old 05-07-09, 09:02 PM   #34
bcklash

Today I went fishing with a friend and a bass boat went by us about 65 to 70 mph on a narrow creek channel and neither guy had on a life jacket. It made me think about this thread. We've had 1 drowning on this lake in the last 5 or 6 yrs and it was in this same area.
Old 05-07-09, 09:05 PM   #35
bamabassman

lash, i see this EVERY TIME I AM ON THE WATER HERE. 9 out of 10 do not wear the jacket, going anywhere from 30- 80 mph. i just think to myself.........FOOLS!
Old 05-07-09, 09:33 PM   #36
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i dont wear mine, but i've never been over like 5 mph. haha
Old 05-07-09, 09:43 PM   #37
fishin spro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
i dont wear mine, but i've never been over like 5 mph. haha
wear it...trust me...i dunno how much you have driven your boat, but it is TOO easy too hit a stump and lose controll...ESPECIALLY if u have a tiller handle...once u lose control of the boat, all u can do is hope for the best.

i always wear mine when running the big motor...once i cut it off i usually take mine off.
Old 05-07-09, 09:51 PM   #38
MrPhotographer06

i drove it the other day on the 35hp ,but we were moving at like 15 mph. the carb was screwy so it wouldnt do more.

but once i get it all done right and were running the lake, i'll wear it.

i wear mine while moving in the jonboat, paddling, but it gets hot after a while.
Old 05-08-09, 03:16 PM   #39
kg5388

I was working in alabama and some parts did not come in so I got to go fishing.

As I was sitting in a folding chair on the dock I saw a man in a 12 aluminum boat started his motor and went to move to the other side of the dam. The bow of the boat was in the air and he was looking around it to see where he was going.

The wind got under the boat and flipped it back throwing him out of the boat. No life jacket and no kill lanyard and the boat was running in circles around him. He managed to grab the side and swamp the boat and cut the motor off without getting hurt by the spinning prop.

He couldn't get back in the boat that slowly sank and flipped. There was NO ONE in sight so I called the TVA emergency number and they said they would try to get someone out.

Luckily about 20 min later a man and his dog came around the corner in a boat and when I yelled He went and saved the man in the water.

almost an hour past and a TVA officer arrived in a squad car with no boat or any thing to rescue any one in the water.

I have a fast Venture Bass boat and still haven't made it to full throttle I once made it to 72 mph on a glass smooth calm lake but only did it once and that was enough for me.

I make everyone wear a life jacket any time the motor runs and the kids have to wear one all the time but I admit I have been lazy I need to order a kill switch/lanyard and install it.
Old 05-08-09, 04:52 PM   #40
MrPhotographer06

dang i bet that was a sight to see. I woulda swam out there and saved him myself
Old 05-08-09, 07:49 PM   #41
bamabassman

the moral of his story photog, WEAR THE JACKET! IT DON'T MATTER WHAT SPEED YOU ARE DOING! jackets save lives. maybe YOURS!
Old 05-08-09, 07:59 PM   #42
kg5388

the camera was at full zoom it don't look far but was saveral hundred yards the boat ramp was in the middle of an area shaped like an 8 so there was no running around shore to throw a rope a float cushion or swim.

luckily the boat flipped and didn't sink as thats what saved him it was also a cool day in march when this happened.
Old 05-08-09, 11:11 PM   #43
66KingFisher

The 1966 40hp Evinrude on my buddies boat doesn't have a kill switch.....guess that feature wasn't a standard feature back in the good ol days. Worst yet is that you steer the boat from the bow with a "Jim stick" so the driver is sittin right up front....i've often wondered what would happen if we hit something or if the ragged ol rusty steering cable was to break suddenly or any number of what ifs? I gotta a gut feelin that say's it wouldn't be purdy.....Fortunately the old motor has a clutch dog goin bad so we never accelerate must past its idle speed....jumps outta gear if we try to put her under a load so we don't.......the little lake we fish is small enough that most times we don't even fire up the big motor....just start the trollin motor.

Even so, I normally will slip my vest on when we run the big motor even though were just idleing around although I seldom zip it up....my partner doesn't put his on at all when were movin slow.....just uses it for seat padding.....sometimes I do too....guess I shouldn't.
Old 05-09-09, 11:35 AM   #44
bamabassman

i like the front steer models, seen em on aluminum rigs. new ones too. great control. but it can be dangrous not to wear a jacket. wear it folks.
Old 05-09-09, 01:51 PM   #45
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i like the front steer models, seen em on aluminum rigs. new ones too. great control.
Now that you mention it, I recently saw a new aluminum Triton boat that had front steering.....I was actually quite surprised because I was under the impression that the front or "Jimstick" style steering had been classified as unsafe?....A nearby tournament series won't let you fish with Jimstick steering unless you have less than 40hp.

I like driving from the front actually....gives you a great view of everything.....I still just imagine hitting something and the boat coming to a sudden stop only I keep going
Old 05-10-09, 08:17 PM   #46
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Well Lancer I am sorry to completly disagree with you.I would have no ploblem leting you know when I go out boating so you can m ake sure you are nowhere near.I will tell you that VERY FEW guys that,as I have a need for speed.get into a hih preformance boat with out Studying then for a long time. We are aware of the speed and danger of said boat before we purchase.and do NOT take it lightly We practice driveing these boats for a long time a little at a time. I have owned mine for 2 ears and have not driven it t it potential, and will not for quite somwe time.
We are not justcaeless kids that think these re TOYS.
Everyone has there hobbies,we like HIGH QUALITY FINELY TUNED machines.the boats you metioned above are not cookie cuter boats they are finely crafted.
People from PETA don't think you shouldhave the right to FISH .
I do respect your right to your opinion.but think you should not jump to the conclution that o one can drive a fast boat. We are like rce car driivers no one buys a Indy car and jumps out on a track . although accidents happen an tracks.
I personaly would rather drive my boat than fish .
I also own a 8 foot plastic boat for fishing.
My appology if this comes across snippy You did touch a nerve.
There are alot of Novice boaters in john boats out there that have no business beon the water but I as ll of you support them.
RA made a poor judgement call.The purpose of this thread was to make sure everyone know how fast good things can go bad and to be safe.
Not offended at all, once I deciphered the message. (A tip of the aluminum foil helmet to Professor Yukspit Ratsass of the Cairo Museum Of Tomb Writings.) Nor did I intend to offend...really.
Note that I DID allow for 10% of you speedsters being "expert" in driving your boats. If you fall within the 10% I congratulate you. If not...
In my 50+ years on the water, the last 40 being mostly in bass boats and saltwater flats rigs, I've seen more than enough mishap and, sadly, tragedy to validate my assertions.
I owe you this; It's not just speed-obsessed bassboaters that help keep emergency rooms, recovery teams, repair shops, and funeral directors busy; There are an increasing number of loons on the water in other inherently dangerous craft, doing inherently dangerous things.

Peace and Safety,

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.