Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-11-06, 07:26 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What was the formula????

Started using Power Pro this year and really do like it. Awsome hoosets,good abrasion factor and sensitivity outta this world. Someone posted a home remedy on how to color up the line after it turns whitish. Would whoever it was post the concotion again. A marker is ok but I feel that it leaves a odor that would be offensive to the fish.
Old 04-11-06, 08:25 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I started using powerpro this year and had no idea it lost its color..wouldn't a sharpie do the trick? I stink enough as it is, they couldn't smell the line over ME! rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 08:26 AM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I wonder if food coloring dye would work?
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 10:29 AM   #4
bassinbob

JB you stink and still get bit? lol Is that from moskeetoes or the bass? Maybe some linseed oil on a rag and run the line through that. Or something bio degradable.

Bob
Old 04-11-06, 01:40 PM   #5
Rebbasser

I think it was JackL that posted it-I'll see if I can find it, but I've noticed if it fades it darkens right up whey it gets wet, so I don't worry about it.
Old 04-11-06, 09:03 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
I think it was JackL that posted it-I'll see if I can find it, but I've noticed if it fades it darkens right up whey it gets wet, so I don't worry about it.
I haven't ever re-colored it, and it works just fine LOL. Markers are how a lot of folks do it, I just don't worry about it. It just tells the fish there is a treat at the end of my line I don't believe in line visibilty being a factor, I've fished very clear water, up to 15' of visibility and still catch fish. It was JackL who made up the concoction Had some food coloring, a old marker, and a syringe to put the stuff in the marker Anyway PM him if Reb can't find it. Or he'll show up sooner or later LOL

Lizards
Old 04-11-06, 09:44 PM   #7
flfireman

I use a black or brown marker. Dont really know if it makes a difference or not. The fishing pro at BPS showed me that trick.
Old 04-12-06, 06:09 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
I haven't ever re-colored it, and it works just fine LOL. Markers are how a lot of folks do it, I just don't worry about it. It just tells the fish there is a treat at the end of my line I don't believe in line visibilty being a factor, I've fished very clear water, up to 15' of visibility and still catch fish. It was JackL who made up the concoction Had some food coloring, a old marker, and a syringe to put the stuff in the marker Anyway PM him if Reb can't find it. Or he'll show up sooner or later LOL

Lizards
Agree wuth you on mosy everything but even if it doesnt matter to the fish (which personally I neleive it does just my opinion) it matters to me. I dod wax the line because after some use it gets kinda squirrly and it calmed right down. I did cut off the 15 or 29 ft of white line and it turned white again. That food coloring idea was the idea I was looking for just couldnt find it with a search.

Lizzy you really havent noticed any difference with the line being white?? I personally feel like it hampers you getting some bites on spooky fish. Let me hear your pro's and cons on this.
Old 04-12-06, 07:29 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Found it, laser:

Quote:
REB,
I just figured out a answer to the loss of color on the Power Pro braid. I mix cake coloring in the following increments: 1 part red, 1 part blue and 2 parts yellow. This gives me sort of a subdued moss colored green/brown. I pull the wick out of an old YELLOW high-liter and inject the coloring into the barrel of the high-liter with a hypodermic needle. (A high-liter will hold 2 to 3 CC of coloring) I then replace the wick and split it lengthways with a razor blade so the Power Pro line will slide thru the slit in the wick. I run this up and down the line a couple timea and "Viola," colored line. I also paint the line on the reel spool with the high-liter to color the line faster without having to run the wick up and down so much line. The only drawback is that three fingers on my left hand are stained bright red until the damn stuff wears off (It will not wash off, believe me)

JackL
Old 04-12-06, 07:50 PM   #10
JB

I never knew JackL had some fishin' witch doctor in him...thats a good idea
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 10:06 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Agree wuth you on mosy everything but even if it doesnt matter to the fish (which personally I neleive it does just my opinion) it matters to me. I dod wax the line because after some use it gets kinda squirrly and it calmed right down. I did cut off the 15 or 29 ft of white line and it turned white again. That food coloring idea was the idea I was looking for just couldnt find it with a search.

Lizzy you really havent noticed any difference with the line being white?? I personally feel like it hampers you getting some bites on spooky fish. Let me hear your pro's and cons on this.
Pro's of Powerpro braid!
1. It won't break
2. It has no line memory
3. It won't break
4. It has no line memory
5. Line changesd to white easier to see

Con's of Powerpro!
1. It won't break
2. It has no line memory
3. It won't break
4. It has no line memory
5. Line changes to white easier to see.

Ok if the debate is gonna go on again, the question I have for all of those who believe line visibility makes a difference. Then why doesn't the hook, or the spinnerbait blades, or the weight or the crankbait or any other thing that is not real make a difference? Why do the guys in Cali use trout imitations with a HOOK. Fish aren't smart enough to make the mental determination of hooks, so why are they smart enough to make a determination on line? Bass bite for 3 reasons. Food, territory, and being pissed. If they decide not to bite my bait, there is no way I believe it's because on the line. It's the presentation, or the location, or the timing. Anyone who believes other than that, then use flourocarbon, or whatever makes "YOU" feel better. I don't beleive it matters if they see the line or not, they still feel it, and their senses with the lateral line, and sight are far superior to ours under water. So mono is visible, so is flourocarbon, just from the vibrations to them. As the line moves through the water, thereby it's giving off vibrations, so the fish feel/see it with their senses. How do you think they can hit a target on top of the mats so precisely? Because the see with their lateral line. Again, if you think it helps, then it does for you. But I've caught to many fish to believe the line visibility means anything. Now mono, vs Braid, vs Flouro issues to me are the floatability or diameter(fall rates) only. I prefer a slower fall 90% of the time, so floating line works better for me. However you can always adjust the weight of the bait/lure to compensate for those differences. Now let the nay sayers come out. I always hear, "well in clear water the line can get me more bites". Perhpas if you dig deeper into it you may find the fall rate, the location, or the presentation has changed somehow due to the reasons stated above, other than they can see the line, because they see yours also, just maybe not with their eyes.

Lizards
Old 04-13-06, 06:01 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Found it, laser:
You da man tosay REBBASSER Thanks buddy.

Lizzy I myself beleive in the lateral line and that 90 or even 95% of the time the line visibility factor has no bearing on whether or not a bass chomps on my lure. But there is IMHO a 5 or 10% chance that some bass may or maynot bite due to line visibilty.Now whether or not its because they actually see a line or feel it I honestly cant say. Kinda like I have noticed that a bass tends to shy away from say a ctankbait that has some grass hanging off the treble. I cant say whether its the grass or the absence of action in the bait. I just always try and up the ante when fishing. Could be that they dont see the line at all. Just the difference in fisherman and there beleifs.Hell Ive have caught trout on 25lb test line and they are supposed to have the best sight in the fishes world. I've also seen the day when a trout wouldnt hit a bait unless you where using line so small u need a magnifying glass. But like I said it could be the absence of action or whatever. I guess if a bass could talk we would have a definate answer.
Old 04-15-06, 03:12 PM   #13
flbassman

Say, where is JACKL? Also, I heard something about spike it. Anyone remember that?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.