Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 09-24-11, 11:18 AM   #1
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Eastons surgery, pro reel's grandson

Eastons oxygen levels finally fell to low for him to stay in the tent. The doctors had to insert a tube to help him breath. They also had to start a sedative to keep him calm. The surgery is scheduled for Monday the 26th. The surgeon plans to do a trunkus repair which is to graft an artificial artery from the heart to the lungs to replace the missing artery, they also plan to try to temporarily repair the damaged valve by inserting a balloon. If thats successful, then it will give Easton a few months to recover before they try to do a more permanent repair to the valve. If the balloon doesn't work, they will try to do the complete repair now. They also told us that his chest cavity will remain open for at least the first week or more in case they need to go back in and redo something. The surgeon has said that this is an extremely rare situation and that there has not been very many surgeries of this kind performed before. He said he has done a few with varying outcomes. He also said that they are comfortable with doing the surgery, it's the recovery that will be critical. Easton will need to prove once again that he has the will to live and he will need all the prayers and support that he can get. If it's a success, he will be in the hospital for at least 2 months and then may get to come home for awhile before it's time to do a more permanent surgery. Brittney will need to live here for that entire time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Easton with oxygen tube.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	7187  
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 11:34 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Man Kevin I don't know what to say. That little fella is a fighter for sure. It's amazing what they can do with modern medicine. 2 months is a long time for Brittney to have to stay in the hospital too but hopefully Easton can at least come home at the end of the 2 months before having to have another surgery. You all are still in our prayers buddy.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 12:34 PM   #3
Bassboss

Tough stuff. Hope he makes it through Kevin. He's a strong little dude though!

Praying you everyone over there.
Old 09-24-11, 02:53 PM   #4
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks for the update, Kevin. Your Grandson is at the top of my prayer list.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 03:32 PM   #5
bamabassman

kevin, easton is at the top of our prayer list as well buddy. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IN THIS TIME OF NEED.
Old 09-24-11, 03:44 PM   #6
Jrob78

I will continue to pray for you guys, Kevin. I can only imagine how tough this must be. Your little man is a fighter!

Last edited by Jrob78; 09-24-11 at 10:28 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 07:01 PM   #7
keithdog

Easton is and will continue to be a part of my daily prayers Kevin. He's a fighter and there are a lot of folks pulling for him. I'll be praying for all of you as well as I know this is such an extremely stressfull period for all of you.
Old 09-24-11, 10:25 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Continuing to pray for y'all Kevin. Thanks for the updates.
Old 09-24-11, 10:56 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Praying here also, Kevin. Thanks for the update.

Dean
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 01:30 AM   #10
bcklash

Praying for your family Kevin.
Old 09-25-11, 08:57 AM   #11
CamG

Continuing to pray.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 12:10 AM   #12
pro reel

This is the first time I had a chance to sit down at my computer , back at the hotel. Yes, the surgery was a success. The day started at 6:30 am when Britt was finally able to actually hold her baby without him being wrapped in bedding. The let her hold him for almost 30 minutes. Watching him be taken into surgery was very hard, we didn't know if this was it or not. The first update was confusing. The nurse told us that the surgeons couldn't do what they originally planned to do. They had hoped do a surgery that would give him quite some time before he needed anything else, but we also knew that they might just be able to do part of it. They actually had to change plans because a small blood vessel was in the valve are and couldn't be moved at this small size. They were able to use shunts to form an area for blood to flow from one side to the other as it's supposed to. They actually said now that even though he will need another surgery in 6 months to a year, with what they saw this was much safer. They say that they believe he will be fine until then and the valve will be able to be replaced then with a donor valve that will be much more permanent. After surgery was over, the surgeon told us that he thought it went better than he had expected. He thought that Easton may be able to come home after about a month and live a pretty normal life until he needs the next surgery. They still warned us that the next 48 hours are critical, but they seemed very confident. Then, a few hours later, when he was in recovery, his chest area wouldn't quit bleeding, they had a tube that was draining blood as fast as they were putting it in. They said it wasn't an emergency, but were concerned and might have to go back in. After another few hours, the coagulation meds they were using finally stopped the bleeding and the tube now is just draining very small amounts which is completely normal. Easton will be kept under for at least a few days while they keep his chest open to allow swelling to go down and to be sure everything is OK before they close. After that, they will remove one thing at a time over several days until at about 7 to 8 days they plan to remove the breathing tube and see if he is ready to breath on his own. If that works, he can finally be held and fed like a normal infant. If everything goes like they hope, I will be able to go home next week and maybe just come back on weekends to see them.
Old 09-27-11, 12:14 AM   #13
Jrob78

That is great news, sounds like everything went about as well as it could have, under the circumstances. I will continue to pray for Easton's recovery.
Old 09-27-11, 12:19 AM   #14
MississippiBoy

That's great news, Tony. Hopefully this next 48 hours will pass with no complications, and everything will go as planned from here on out. We're still praying....
Old 09-27-11, 12:38 AM   #15
bcklash

We are hoping and praying for the best
Old 09-27-11, 01:35 AM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Man Kevin I can't imagine how scary this whole ordeal must be for you all. I am so happy that things are going as well as they can and the little man is keeping his fighting spirit. We will continue to pray for you all and as always if you need to talk you know how to get ahold of me.
Old 09-27-11, 01:36 AM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Thanks for the update Kevin. We will continue to pray for the little fella.
Old 09-27-11, 01:58 AM   #18
islandbass

More thoughts and prayers from the Pac Northwest.
Old 09-27-11, 08:14 AM   #19
CamG

Sounds like some good news to me. I will continue to pray for Easton!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 08:47 AM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Glad to hear the good news Kevin! We'll continue to pray for him and all you family.

BB
Old 09-27-11, 09:48 AM   #21
nofearengineer

Sounds like the little man is finally catching a little bit of a break. That is good news. I know doctors don't like to make good predictions, so that is a very good sign. As always, praying for him and your family.
Old 09-27-11, 10:58 AM   #22
WatterBoy

Thanks for keeping us updated, Kevin. Still praying here, too. Good to hear that the surgery was deemed to be successful. Hopefully there will be more good progress in the coming days!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 01:15 PM   #23
WaffleJaw

Man Kevin thats great to hear!...Keeping ya'll in my thoughts!
Old 09-27-11, 03:04 PM   #24
pro reel

We just got back from sitting with Easton while his mom took a nap. Easton is doing great today. He was awake and moving his arms and legs. He even tried to grin when we talked to him and tried to fuss when the nurse sucked bubbles of spit from his mouth. he still has the tube in there so he can't move his mouth much. You can tell that he's on enough pain meds to be a little loopy. They are going to put him back under later today and close the chest, but they will wake him back up soon after that. The cardiologist showed us drawings of exactly what they did and how the re routed things to make everything work right. She said that only time will tell on how long this is good for until he needs the more permanent fix. The reason is that the heart will grow but the shunts they put in won't so they will slowly become to small for the right amount of flow. She said that could be anywhere from 6 months to 18 months, time will tell. She said that the next 24 hours after they close the chest will show us if he is fine or not, but they don't see any reason for concern now, all the numbers on the monitors are exactly where they should be and the doctors are thrilled with the results. God bless everyone that has been praying for him and may god bless all the little children and babies that need his help.
Old 09-27-11, 06:01 PM   #25
bamabassman

like i said on fb.....PRAISE GOD!!! still gonna pray every day for our little champ easton kevin. he is a fighter and i am sure he will pull through this. i get chill bumps thinkng aobut him for real. LORD will endure.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.