Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 10-27-13, 02:37 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Smile I found this sort of funny

A while back I asked a question or two about fall bassin.
Most here know that if/when I ask a question I probably researched it pretty heavy already but want/need the real pro anglers (you folks) to tell me the truth and your thoughts/experience with said question.
And then research again with emphasis usually based on your input.

Anyways, while doing my research I realized that fall fishing means something completely different to Northern and Southern anglers.

Out of 10 random fall fishing videos (first 10 videos googling).
5 anglers had on long sleave tees.
1 had a hoodie on.
2 had short sleave tees.
1 had a windbreaker on.
And 2 had jackets. St Clair Mi. waters. Same boat.

Now by the end of Sept. I wear long sleave thermal under shirt, pull over turtle neck shirt, a sweater with a long neck, and a light goose down jacket.
I have Neoprene gloves along, usually use one at a time if needed.(fishing with gloves stinks), another pull over long neck jacket along just incase. If there is even a 10mph wind it creates a wind chill.
Come second week of Oct. dress like I'm ice fishing minus the snowboots.
I layer cause the sun is still strong and if out it feels warmer than the actual temp.
I wear black in the fall too, to absorb sunrays. Black jeans, black turtle neck, black goosedown, black neoprens, black everything.

And I'm technically MID-west.
Go two and a half hours north, LaCrosse, Wi., and the winter coat goes on.
When I hear Fall, I think colors, tree leaves dieing.
Only two had colors in the trees.
This morning it was 28.
Now it's 1:30 and 46, BUT, 12 mph winds.

And yes I got the kayak hooked to car and as soon as it hits 52 (high of 54 today) I'M OUT OF HERE!

Just thought I'd share while I'm waiting.

Have the best Sunday you possible can!!
And Birthday boy, I KNOW IT'S WARMER HERE THAN THERE!!!

Last edited by joedog; 10-27-13 at 02:52 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 03:00 PM   #2
lilmule

Basically what comes around goes around,spring water warming bass feed,fall eventually same places water cooling bass feed prior to putting on their long johns.
We however tend to go when its possible for us but not always the best situation for actually catching fish-there one needs to say lol I needed to get out some.
Ill be donning long johns,coveralls and carharts but not till late dec,maybe jan,also helmet and gloves but dont fish with them on just to run n gun.
On a side note drew barefoot kevin in sc on clarks hill he fishes yearround barefoot and yes they look tough as nails,wind was blowing 30mph and temp 44 and I got cool in carharts and overalls-no windshield as single console me as the non boater.He pays hooks little attention stomps around on deck like wearing steel toed boots.
So each to their own be they northern or southern.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 04:59 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll dress in layers so that I can dress down as the day warms, which around here, 52 degrees is pretty nice this time of year. But by now, I've put the boat away and concentrating on getting everything chore wise done around the house to prepare for winter. And the fall cleanup, that's always time consuming.
Old 10-27-13, 05:17 PM   #4
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Pretty rare for me to fish in thermals.
When it gets good n cold....and the bass are still bitin, I add a hat and a sweatshirt
Old 10-28-13, 11:01 AM   #5
backinthesaddle
BassFishin.Com Member

I was wearing Bib and a jacket on Saturday. On Sunday it was jeans and a light jacket. I guess it depends on the weather. I Generally look at water temps for fishing and decide if it's worth going. (which is always ) Then dress for comfort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	495.0 KB
ID:	8936  
backinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 11:41 AM   #6
joedog

So it got to a balmy 52.
12-15 mph winds with gusts of 25 from the south west.
And the real killer.....water temp dropped from 61 degrees four days ago to 49 yesterday. This was after 4 days no sun, some rain, and upper 20s to low 30 nights.
But the SUN was out, which helped tremendously!
But WIND and Kayaks don't work that well.

Talk about shutting down the FISH!
Got out at like 3 (took that long to hit 52).
Sunset at 5:45 so short outting cause once sun starts to set........BURRRRRRRRR.

West end of water had ONE small pocket out of the breeze. But cause of trees and hill against that shore, the sun setting or shadows started this end of water first.
And here's the topper.....a couple of dandies anchored at a point, AFTER they saw me catch a 16" dink. That was on the tip of maybe an acre patch along the shore. These dandies were throwing angle worms for sunnies under bobbers.
I SWEAR TO GOD THEY CAUGHT EVERY TREE ON THE BANK.
They then would pull up anchor and go to snag to get thier $1 setup back.
They then would move the boat back and THROW back in the anchor close to where they started.
They did this with MORE comotion and noise than I've ever seen.
If they weren't horning in on MY location and ruining the ONLY calm water on the pond.....it would have been hilarious.
Oh and other than trees they caught NOTHING.

So I moved and worked the shore IN THE WIND around the rest of the pond.
If I didn't have peddles I don't no how I would of fished with the wind.
So it was a challenge but not a game ender.
Caught one more DINK....get ready......ON A CRANK!

Now the biggest LETDOWN of the outting.
I long casted to a pocket that started shallow and quickly dropped to like 10-12 ft. and then to 25-30 feet deep. I was throwing a Rage Space Monkey and felt a couple of ticks shortly after the cast. Felt more like hitting a rock or small stump than a fish. Did a slow roll back to kayak to recast and then burned it back the last 10 ft. to recast.
At the start of burn I felt two ticks and thinking nothing about it burned it back. Three feet from the kayak I saw the tick culprit..... A MONSTER contest winning Lg. Mouth.
Took one last swipe at the Rage Tail and turned and went deep. (if there was a 'crying' smilie I would use it now!!!)

Just another outting in Joey's World!
Old 10-29-13, 08:41 AM   #7
lilmule

A day out is a day out maybe not following you,just following the lack of wind.
I had several not come to the boat while down in sc,with one must have been a fashion thing as that grass pike is still wearing a great looking kvd squarebill.
Old 10-29-13, 01:08 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
So it got to a balmy 52.
12-15 mph winds with gusts of 25 from the south west.
And the real killer.....water temp dropped from 61 degrees four days ago to 49 yesterday. This was after 4 days no sun, some rain, and upper 20s to low 30 nights.
But the SUN was out, which helped tremendously!
But WIND and Kayaks don't work that well.

Talk about shutting down the FISH!
Got out at like 3 (took that long to hit 52).
Sunset at 5:45 so short outting cause once sun starts to set........BURRRRRRRRR.

West end of water had ONE small pocket out of the breeze. But cause of trees and hill against that shore, the sun setting or shadows started this end of water first.
And here's the topper.....a couple of dandies anchored at a point, AFTER they saw me catch a 16" dink. That was on the tip of maybe an acre patch along the shore. These dandies were throwing angle worms for sunnies under bobbers.
I SWEAR TO GOD THEY CAUGHT EVERY TREE ON THE BANK.
They then would pull up anchor and go to snag to get thier $1 setup back.
They then would move the boat back and THROW back in the anchor close to where they started.
They did this with MORE comotion and noise than I've ever seen.
If they weren't horning in on MY location and ruining the ONLY calm water on the pond.....it would have been hilarious.
Oh and other than trees they caught NOTHING.

So I moved and worked the shore IN THE WIND around the rest of the pond.
If I didn't have peddles I don't no how I would of fished with the wind.
So it was a challenge but not a game ender.
Caught one more DINK....get ready......ON A CRANK!

Now the biggest LETDOWN of the outting.
I long casted to a pocket that started shallow and quickly dropped to like 10-12 ft. and then to 25-30 feet deep. I was throwing a Rage Space Monkey and felt a couple of ticks shortly after the cast. Felt more like hitting a rock or small stump than a fish. Did a slow roll back to kayak to recast and then burned it back the last 10 ft. to recast.
At the start of burn I felt two ticks and thinking nothing about it burned it back. Three feet from the kayak I saw the tick culprit..... A MONSTER contest winning Lg. Mouth.
Took one last swipe at the Rage Tail and turned and went deep.

Just another outting in Joey's World!
There, I fixed the lack of a "crying Smilie" for you...

Good to know that 16" bass are now dinks for you, Joe. Those are pretty solid fish on our lake.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 02:23 PM   #9
joedog

Dean I love it!
Old 10-29-13, 08:46 PM   #10
lilmule

Its got to be that thar yeller yak,like having a nanner in the boat,only its a boat nanner.Bad luck nuttin but 16 in dinks,lol gimmie a dink day any day

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.