Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bass Classifieds

Old 03-16-06, 12:25 PM   #26
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just ordered 2, can't wait to get them and put them in the water.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 01:25 PM   #27
crankybait

hmm maybe i should switch to basswood... ok im sure the temperature was fine for the epoxy, i think i just put on too much. a bit dripped on the second coat, but its not too bad. i think ill test it later, then send it out. and maybe the paint wasnt dry... i let it dry for an hour, but still...
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 11:35 PM   #28
Ol_Woody
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Bender, just got your order. They should go out tomorrow or no later than Monday. I hope you catch that "bigun" with them and don't hesitate to let me know if you have any probs. A little tuning will be needed maybe. If so, just very small adjustments are all that are needed.
Thanks for the order bud.

Cranky, don't let me discourage you from using balsa. A lot of guys still use it with good success, can't deny that. We just don't use it because our reputation is at stake with every lure we sell and the last thing we need is a bad reputation for selling high priced junk. There are a lot of things you can do to strengthen balsa but it makes the process a day or so longer.
If you like, I'd be glad to help you out with any advice I could give. I'm definitely not a know it all but, I've learned a few tricks along the way. I still have to ask for help from guys that know a lot more than me and I don't mind sharing. There's no better feeling than to catch that 1st bass on a lure that you created from scratch. Once that happens, you're hooked, no pun intended.

Remember the main thing is to seal the bait real good 1st, paint, let the paint dry well and then clearcoat. You should rotate the lure while the clearcoat is drying so that it will even out and not run to one end of the lure.
Let me know if you need anymore help, I love this stuff!

Take care
Ol_Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 02:07 AM   #29
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

hey ol woody...my fishing partner advised me that he ordered your lures...and when i asked him which one's were mine ....well let's say i'm gonna have to wait until he's not looking and snatch em up....lol....i really am impressed with the looks though and can't wait to try them....if they are anything like i think they will be i'll probably be a return customer that's for sure....will be sending you feedback as soon as i see he doesn't have em tied on the end of his line....hehehehe.....
Old 03-17-06, 08:15 AM   #30
Ol_Woody
BassFishin.Com Member

Lol, thanks Bassintxlady. Make him share!
Old 03-17-06, 03:53 PM   #31
crankybait

whatever ill stick to balsa, basswood is kinda hard to shape. maybe ill jus use both. how do you seal the bait? i just use a coat of epooxy, paint, then another layer of epoxy. oh bassintxlady i gotta redo your lure. got some white, so ill do red head white body. ill make sure i use an undercoat, i think its better
Old 03-18-06, 01:08 PM   #32
Ol_Woody
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Cranky, If you have access to a scroll saw and a dremel tool, basswood is a breeze. Cut to shape on the scroll and round off the edges with sanding drums on the dremel. For hand carving though, you're right, basswood is tough.
Old 03-18-06, 01:15 PM   #33
crankybait

i dont have a scroll saw. how much are they? i dont have a dremel, but i have a black and decker rotary tool. what would you do? if a scroll saw is under 50 bucks i can mow 5 lawns to pay for one, but i think its going to be mroe expensive than that. also, how many layers of the same color paint should i do? and is sealing the wood necessary? if so, how do i do it?
Old 03-18-06, 01:39 PM   #34
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cranky, a scroll saw will run you around $200 to get the kind you will want. Have you thought about buying the pre-cut ones from Stamina or Janns? I'm sure you have, and then all you have to do is paint them.
Old 03-18-06, 02:01 PM   #35
crankybait

well then the rotary tool X-acto and wood will go to waste. i like modifying and carving my own, lets me get more creative. hmm maybe ill wait for the lowes near us, theyre not going too well and might run outta business soon
Old 03-18-06, 06:32 PM   #36
Ol_Woody
BassFishin.Com Member

Nothing wrong with carving either.

Get yourself a cheap can of kilz primer/sealer for the sealing or another type if you prefer. Epoxy will work too, just adds a lot more weight though. If any water gets to the wood, your lure will be ruined.
Old 03-18-06, 08:08 PM   #37
crankybait

well wouldnt the outer layer of epoxy keep the water out anyways? instead of sealing it, would it be ok if i added 3 layers of epoxy? epoxy isnt as expensive
Old 03-19-06, 07:47 AM   #38
Ol_Woody
BassFishin.Com Member

Actually, You're part right but, let's say you whack a bridge piling at mach 3, or a hook point penetrates the outer epoxy in your tackle box leaving a tiny hole where water can get in. If this happens the wood underneath starts swelling and this pressure cracks your outer coat.
You're right though, there's no law that says you have to seal the wood, it's just a little added insurance.
Old 03-19-06, 09:13 AM   #39
crankybait

even a hole as tiny as a little hook prick would ruin it??? wow... ok i guess ill keep using epoxy until i get the chance to get some sealer. any other tips???
Old 03-19-06, 03:53 PM   #40
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Ol Woody are you looking for pro staff

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.