Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-10, 12:06 PM   #1
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rod Recommendations - Drop Shot & Senko

I have a few requests:

1) Big box store Drop Shot rod recommendation
2) Big box store Senko rod recommendation

I plan on building two rods for these techniques, but I have not owned rods for these techniques and would like to visit my local big box store (Bass Pro Shops) to get an initial feel for how they are normally set up. What I found from my first build, Shaky Head technique, is that I placed the reel seat 1"-2" to far up the blank. I believe I could have avoided that by checking out a few big box store rods before building it. I don't want to copy what they do, but to get an initial ergonomic assessment to guide me before I build mine.

Anybody have rod recommendations from Bass Pro Shops in those two techniques?

Tony

Last edited by CiK; 06-27-10 at 12:36 PM.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 12:42 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For dropshotting a 7' ML F/XF rod is a perfect choice, I'd recommend taking a look at the Shimano Crucial dropshot rods. Either the 7'2" ML, or the 6'8" ML if you like a shorter rod. My only complaint about the crucials would be the handle is a tad too long. An inch or so shorter would be great.

For senkos, I like a 7'-7'3" MH F rod. The Shimano Cumara 7'2" MH rods are very popular for t-rigging and senkos. I recently got a Dobyns 733C that I absolutely love for senkos and t-rigs.

BB
Old 06-27-10, 05:06 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a 7.0ft St. Croix Mojo Med Action Fast tip for throwing senkos and most other weightless plastics. It does not have the sensitivity that my carrot stix has, but it is not bad for a 90.00 rod. It does however cast these type of baits very nice.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 07:13 PM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For the drop shot rod does BPS carry Fenwick? I really like the Elite Tech Dropshot rod, but the handle is a little different than I have seen for sale anywhere. Otherwise the Crucials like BigB said are really good. I like the notch cut in the cork on them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:43 AM   #5
tim4081

I use a BPS Carbonlite spinning rod....6'8" Medium XF for drop shotting and small (4") senkos so you might want to check those.

For most weightless plastics I use a Falcon Low Rider 6'7" MH XF.....its their weightless worm rod.....excellent rod for this technique
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 05:35 PM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

6-6" to 7', Med XF for the drop shot.

I have a 7' ML XF right now that I use when I have to drop shot, but if I had to do it over again, I'd go with the Med. Just not quite enough power there to fight or set the hook in 20+ of water.

For a Senko rod, I'd build a 7', MHF - casting rod.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:11 PM   #7
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
For dropshotting a 7' ML F/XF rod is a perfect choice, I'd recommend taking a look at the Shimano Crucial dropshot rods. Either the 7'2" ML, or the 6'8" ML if you like a shorter rod. My only complaint about the crucials would be the handle is a tad too long. An inch or so shorter would be great.

For senkos, I like a 7'-7'3" MH F rod. The Shimano Cumara 7'2" MH rods are very popular for t-rigging and senkos. I recently got a Dobyns 733C that I absolutely love for senkos and t-rigs.

BB

x2 on the Shimano Crucial Dropshot rod !!! I can not say how much I like this rod I have the 6'8" and love it
Old 06-28-10, 08:13 PM   #8
geezer1

CiK...If you haven't looked at the Falcon Low Rider Clark Wendlandt Weightless Worm rod (LCF-5-167), you might want to check it out. The rod is 6'7", MH, XFast. When you pick it up, you wont believe it's MH, but the backbone on that rod is incredible. I've turned some +5 lbs sows in some thick cover with it & am constantly amazed with it's power. It's one of my favorite rods.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 01:15 AM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
CiK...If you haven't looked at the Falcon Low Rider Clark Wendlandt Weightless Worm rod (LCF-5-167), you might want to check it out. The rod is 6'7", MH, XFast. When you pick it up, you wont believe it's MH, but the backbone on that rod is incredible. I've turned some +5 lbs sows in some thick cover with it & am constantly amazed with it's power. It's one of my favorite rods.
Agree 100%. I have 2, one dedicated for weightless T-rigs and one dedicated for wacky rigs. Wouldn't throw either on any other rod.

That said, a MH action rod will work fine. I won't throw a single hook bait on anything lighter. for drop shotting I use a ML action Falcon Low Rider dropshot rod, but a M or ML rod will work fine.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.