Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-10, 09:41 AM   #1
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Chatterbait Patent

Thought this was interesting.

Chatter patent granted 6/29/2010

Knock-off bait designs have become so commonplace in the sport, it takes only a few months or so for companies to bring their own version of a hot new bait to market. Just look at what happened with the Gary Yamamoto Senko, the Snag Proof frog, the Reaction Innovations Beaver and the ChatterBait, to name a few examples.
Z-Man Fishing Products, Inc. (inventor of the ChatterBait) took the issue to the government and this week was granted a patent for the ChatterBait. The company served notice to the industry by printing: "Z-Man Fishing Products, Inc. (Z-Man) of Ladson, S.C. announces that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has issued U.S. Patent No. 7,627,978 entitled "Snag-Resistant Fishing Lure." Z-Man holds an exclusive license to the advancements and technology embodied in this breakthrough lure design that created a new category of baits when first introduced. It’s the now-patented oscillating motion of the blade that gives the Chatterbait its unique vibration and action...making it irresistible to fish and indispensable for all well-stocked tackle boxes."

Z-Man president Jonathan Zucker also noted: "The issuance of this patent will help ensure that copycats cannot take advantage of our innovations in lure design. We believe that this patent will deter other lure manufacturers that have copied the ChatterBait from continuing to sell and market their knock-off products."
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 11:09 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There goes the boogie bait.... i wonder if z-man would accept royalties from other companies wishing to make a version of the chatter bait??? Will Gary Yamamoto try to patent the Senko??? Will Culprit come out and patent curl tail worms??? How far will this be allowed to go???
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 11:23 AM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
There goes the boogie bait.... i wonder if z-man would accept royalties from other companies wishing to make a version of the chatter bait??? Will Gary Yamamoto try to patent the Senko??? Will Culprit come out and patent curl tail worms??? How far will this be allowed to go???
Good question. But, I believe in order to file for a patent, or trademark the product must not be on the market before the filing. In this case, I think they filed in 2004.

It is funny however to see what "innovations" they use, that they did not invent. I see a swimbait and a senko on their site that really looks like someone else's hard work.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 01:43 PM   #4
bassboogieman

The orginator of the chatterbait has sent letters to many (small) custom lure makers that have "copied" the bait threatening to sue them. Larger companies that make "similiar" lure based on the chatterbait design may be able to get around the patent by making some minor changes to the original design.
People that develop a "new" lure should be able to profit from their innovation, but not hold exclusive rights forever. As for chatterbaits, individuals can get around the patent pretty easily by buying the components and assembling them yourself - they are NOT hard to make. As long as you're not selling them for profit you are ok.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 02:27 PM   #5
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Yea, but why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
The orginator of the chatterbait has sent letters to many (small) custom lure makers that have "copied" the bait threatening to sue them. Larger companies that make "similiar" lure based on the chatterbait design may be able to get around the patent by making some minor changes to the original design.
People that develop a "new" lure should be able to profit from their innovation, but not hold exclusive rights forever. As for chatterbaits, individuals can get around the patent pretty easily by buying the components and assembling them yourself - they are NOT hard to make. As long as you're not selling them for profit you are ok.
If you enjoy making lures, sounds like a good idea. Might even be a stepping stone to yet another new design. Can't imagine it would really save enough $$ to do it for any other reason.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 08:53 PM   #6
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
As for chatterbaits, individuals can get around the patent pretty easily by buying the components and assembling them yourself - they are NOT hard to make.
Where can you buy the blades for chatterbaits?
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 10:26 PM   #7
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm not an intellectual property rights lawyer, but have some experience in the field, and having read through the patent a few times, I'd hazard an opinion that many of the knock-offs don't violate it. A key part of the patent is that the motion of the blade in each direction is limited by contact with the head. On any of the knock-offs that use a split ring between the eye and the blade, this doesn't happen.

Unfortunately, any of them that have the split ring in there are far less effective for exactly that reason. The corners of the blade banging the head is an important factor in the lure's performance.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 01:01 AM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiK View Post
Where can you buy the blades for chatterbaits?
Here:

http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.php?...ct_list&c=2100
Old 07-01-10, 06:00 AM   #9
bassboogieman

Barlow's Tackle has all the components at reasonable prices. http://www.barlowstackle.com/
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 10:03 AM   #10
3dkicker

Minor modifications to the blade will limit the ability of Z-man to win a lawsuit. Booyah's blade is already way different. I don't know if Kaotic's blade with the holes in it will be enough. Probably depends on the size of and bend in the blade. Other than those I haven't seen a knock off worth buying. Original Chatterbaits at BPS are $3.99.

Imagine if someone had patented the spinnerbait or jig head???
Old 07-01-10, 11:37 AM   #11
Cavs1123

Good point 3D
Old 07-01-10, 03:30 PM   #12
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichZ View Post
I'm not an intellectual property rights lawyer, but have some experience in the field, and having read through the patent a few times, I'd hazard an opinion that many of the knock-offs don't violate it. A key part of the patent is that the motion of the blade in each direction is limited by contact with the head. On any of the knock-offs that use a split ring between the eye and the blade, this doesn't happen.

Unfortunately, any of them that have the split ring in there are far less effective for exactly that reason. The corners of the blade banging the head is an important factor in the lure's performance.
You are right on the money there. I have a few knock off's and I can definately tell a differance between the knock off and the origional. The origional is way more effective.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.