Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-10, 07:54 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Interesting flipping stick design!

Hey guys, I was piddling around on tackle warehouse, and I found this video.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/video...ml?pcode=PTPCR

Interesting concept, and it makes a lot sense to me. I'll sometimes get a bite on a worm or jig real close to the bank, and experience what this guy is talking about. The smooth action rod seems to be a real good idea, and IMO could give you better hook set. It in fact seems like it would help eliminate a lot of lost fish, but I can also see how it could lead to lost fish. Because of the slow action, you may not be able to heave the fish out of heavy weeds or brush. I've also heard that PT uses the same blanks as Loomis (North Fork Composites).

What do you guys think, and do ever experience what he's talking about?
Old 07-03-10, 08:37 PM   #2
WTL

"Without powertackle, my wallet would have been a little lighter" - Mark Menendez

Funny, cause I bet with powertackle, my wallet will be much lighter.

$359.00!

That said, I am sympathetic to the argument he puts forward. I think most bass fisherman go with rods with too fast of an action, partly because the word "fast" or "ultrafast" is so much more enticing to "slow". Think about it, how many rods do you know that are advertised as "slow". Most manufacturers slowest offerings are still marketed as "fast action". That really needs to change. At the very least the vocabulary is off.

And there are lots of reasons that slow actions can be good, especially when it comes to landing fish. Theres a reason why fly tackle can be so effective with jumping fish, and its all due to the graceful arc of a rod under load helps give to a shaking fish.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 09:00 PM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

my uncle buys spinning rods and uses em upside down with bait casters for this reason... he likes buggy whips..
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 12:57 AM   #4
Jrob78

A place locally sells Power Tackle Rods. I've handled them some, I wondered why the diameter of the blank was so big on some of the rods. Loomis rods don't use North Fork blanks btw.

I can see the benefit of a moderate action on a heavy rod like a flippin stick or a swimbait rod. You are generally using heavy baits and the rod is heavy enough to have plenty of back bone. Plus, hook sets with a flippin stick are probably going to be more violent and deliberate. A long rod is also going to give you more leverage for a more powerful hook set. A moderate action isn't going to be as responsive as a fast action though, it will take longer to load up.

I also agree that "x-fast" sounds better than "slow." I see medium heavy action written all the time, which makes me wonder how many people actually know what action and power mean.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 09:03 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
A place locally sells Power Tackle Rods. I've handled them some, I wondered why the diameter of the blank was so big on some of the rods. Loomis rods don't use North Fork blanks btw.
Yes, G Loomis uses their own blanks, which is pretty much what G Loomis is famous for... Gary Loomis now has nothing to do with the company and neither to any of his NFC blanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78
I can see the benefit of a moderate action on a heavy rod like a flippin stick or a swimbait rod. You are generally using heavy baits and the rod is heavy enough to have plenty of back bone. Plus, hook sets with a flippin stick are probably going to be more violent and deliberate. A long rod is also going to give you more leverage for a more powerful hook set. A moderate action isn't going to be as responsive as a fast action though, it will take longer to load up.
Many swimbait rods acually are a M or MF action. I don't about the MH rod he's fishing in the video, but with a heavier flipping stick, I could see using a slower action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78
I also agree that "x-fast" sounds better than "slow." I see medium heavy action written all the time, which makes me wonder how many people actually know what action and power mean.
The majority of companies don't even make a slow action rod because they aren't really used in bass fishinng. The slowest I've seen is a Falcon crankbait rod rated at MS. But even most crankbait rods are M or MF action.

I constantly see people confusing power with action, and have almost given up trying to correct people when it comes to that. It doesn't help that some rods list M, MH, H powers as actions on the blank...

BB
Old 07-04-10, 09:22 AM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Parabolic Flippin' Sticks aren't really anything new, rather an reborn rod. I remember reading an article featuring Gary Klein 6-7 years ago where he said he had gone back to an old style Flippin Rod (20 years old) because he said he preferred the parabolic bend. I think he ended up designing a Flippin Stick for Quantum that he now uses featuring a parabolic bend and acid style guide placement.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 11:09 AM   #7
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Parabolic Flippin' Sticks aren't really anything new, rather an reborn rod. I remember reading an article featuring Gary Klein 6-7 years ago where he said he had gone back to an old style Flippin Rod (20 years old) because he said he preferred the parabolic bend. I think he ended up designing a Flippin Stick for Quantum that he now uses featuring a parabolic bend and acid style guide placement.
You are exactly right. I've seen this rod online before but I didn't pay much attention to it. It's listed as having a fast taper but it does say parabolic in the description. It's the first production rod I'm aware of that has a spiral wrap. Interesting

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Quant...age-QTGKC.html
Old 07-04-10, 11:49 AM   #8
bassinbob

Cam and Jrob I have that rod. The other rod I use for flipping is a St Croix Prem 7ft. Heavy. I like the Quamtum for pads and grass and the St Croix for laydowns and other heavy brush, etc.
Old 07-04-10, 11:58 AM   #9
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
my uncle buys spinning rods and uses em upside down with bait casters for this reason... he likes buggy whips..
I've thought about doing that.
Old 07-06-10, 01:59 PM   #10
Jrob78

Another thing to keep in mind is who is doing the fishing. Elite pros who fish for a living are going to have different requirements of their gear than the weekend, fun fisherman.

Their reaction times are going to be a lot quicker and their strike detection will be too. They might have more issue with jerking the bait out of a fish's mouth than you or I because they are a split second faster. It's the same as using a glass cranking stick vs a graphite one. Pros can benefit from a slightly slower, less responsive rod where, for a average fisherman it could be a disadvantage.

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-06-10 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-06-10, 02:08 PM   #11
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a old Castaway Bud Pruitt Flipping rod. 7'6" Heavy power, slow action.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.