Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-10, 01:18 PM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rod or reel, which is more important?

The recent threads concerning the importance of rod sensitivity, (or the lack of importance) got me thinking about what you guys consider to be more critical.

Would you rather use a inexpensive but fully functioning reel with a top of the line, light, sensitive rod or a super nice, high end reel with a cheap graphite rod? Do you feel a good rod is the most important or do you think a good reel is the bigger key to fishing success?

By cheap reel I'm thinking Abu Garcia Black Max, Daiwa Procaster, maybe a cheaper Pinnacle reel...you get the idea. You can pair this with whatever rod you wish.

OR

A cheaper rod, Ugly Stick Lite, Berkley Cherrywood, Berkley Lighting Rod...etc. You can pick whatever high end reel you want to go with it.

I'm not knocking the cheaper gear, just wondering which is more important to you, rods or reels.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 01:24 PM   #2
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Jrob check out reel prices you can get some good deals noe
I got a Quantum pt catylyst reduced from 139 to 89 at Cabelas, there are all over for between 110 t0 120 now
I alos got a 2010 BPS Pro Qualifier on sale for 79
and Tackle Warehouse has the Navy Daiwa Procaster on close out for 40 bucks , I used this reel, but I am not a fan of magnetic brakes, it does have some coll features and is a one peice Aluminum frame.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 01:42 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think it greatly depends on what you're fishing, and how much sensitivity you need.

If I was worming and jigging, I'm much prefer to have the top of the line rod with a cheap reel.

Something like crankbaits or spinnerbait, I'd opt for the high end reel with a cheap rod.

However, I prefer to search around, find good deals on stuff, and use a good rod and reel. I'd consider most of my gear, considering what you can spend on a combo now days, medium level. Many would disagree and say I use high end gear, but comparatively, it's not. I only dream of using $800 combos.

Great thread by the way Joe. I love discussions like this.

BB
Old 07-07-10, 01:44 PM   #4
rrw4258

Well if I had to choose, I would use a higher end reel on a cheaper rod. But my real preferecne is to use middle of the road rods and reels. My reels usually run me between 90-110, and my rods are between 75-100.

Ryan
Old 07-07-10, 01:52 PM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

High quality rods are much more important than a HQ reel. I use HQ rods, and average reels.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 01:52 PM   #6
nofearengineer

I think Anthony hit it on the head. I'm beginning to think I can just answer every question "well, it depends on the application."

For "feel" type techinques, I'd take the high end rod over the reel.

For cranking intensive, long casting techniques, the high end reel over the rod.

However, you left out the real question...high end rods and reels, or women?

(depends on the application? )
Old 07-07-10, 02:02 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

I have to go rod on all accounts....I can set up any reel to fish and modify it with upgrades,lube and grease.

Harder to do on a rod.hahaha!
Old 07-07-10, 02:03 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

haha,high end women come with high end demands...I rather hear a silvermax screaming at me.
Old 07-07-10, 03:36 PM   #9
islandbass

Quote:
I think Anthony hit it on the head. I'm beginning to think I can just answer every question "well, it depends on the application."

For cranking intensive, long casting techniques, the high end reel over the rod.

I almost spit my coffee onto my monitor.
Old 07-07-10, 03:42 PM   #10
Jrob78

Guess i should answer my own question. If it had to be one or the other I would choose high quality rods. You can make do with a less than stellar reel but fishing with a bad rod will directly impact your success, IMO. I do agree though that it is more critical with feel type baits.

Glad this is only hypothetical. As for Nofear's question, it definitely depends on the application!
Old 07-07-10, 03:57 PM   #11
bassboogieman

Quote:
This from the guy who's LEFT HAND is so jealous of his RIGHT HAND, that he has to let his left hand crank his reel, while the right hand takes care of his rod................... just to even out the workload, mind you.

Women aside, I'm looking for a quality rod as foremost in my fishing equipment. A medium quality reel will work with a high quality rod. I really don't think the opposite is as true.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 04:40 PM   #12
walkeraviator

I like good reels.... when bottom contact and feeling a lite bite is important, i want sensitivity... which again doesnt mean you have to spend $100+ on a rod. A real sensetive yet heavy and unbalanced rod can be had cheaper... you just have to grow balls and stop whining about a heavy rod and fish (we call it a sport for a reason)...

Lets just say I have seen ugly stiks fish just as good as high end rods, but have seen way too many cheap reels roll over and die... so my money goes to good reels...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 04:42 PM   #13
Ebbetsguy

Now hold on, I want to make some popcorn, and watch this one unfold
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 06:18 PM   #14
cassidyta

This has been my own internal debate for year. Hopefully the voices in my head haven't started posting.
For the
For the longest time I put my money into the reel and not the rod. Over the past year I have been changing my way of thought.

For my frogging, top water, swimbaits, and spinnerbaits my money has gone into the reel. I don't believe that I have wondered if I had a hit on those baits.

In most of my other applications, I have started replacing rods. I realy do believe that I am catching more fish then before with lower end rods.

I will add the disclaimer that I am only speaking about Bass in this. When I am targeting other species the reel is usually my focus.
Old 07-07-10, 06:35 PM   #15
Backwater Charlie

Better reel! Why? It has MOVING PARTS! If you need more sensitivity, grab your line and feel.
Old 07-07-10, 07:23 PM   #16
chopsticktown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to chopsticktown

I usually prefer cheaper rods, and more expensive reels.

Quote:

I see Where your coming from, and now ill take that into consideration since my next rod and reel purchase is for my worm/jigs!!!
chopsticktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 08:17 PM   #17
Bender

I'm on the same page with it depending on the application. I've pretty much split it up between casting and spinning. As long as a spinning reel works and doesn't foul and has smooth drag it's fine with me so I only have one (out of ten or so) spinning reels that cost over $100. Casting reels to me are different. Maybe it's because I started with a super cheapie that was junk out of the box, but I feel that I gain more by having a good casting reel.

Rods...hard to say but it's closer to the opposite for me where spinning rods are more high end and casting rods are more average. Most spinning tactics I do (drop shot, shaky, wacky, etc) are more dependent on feeling the light bite. It's not exclusive though since there are plenty of techniques I do with casting reels too.

Just a very BASIC summary for me is:
Spinning - lower end reel/higher end rod
Casting - higher end reel/lower end rod
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 09:20 PM   #18
Jrob78

I hadn't even considered spinning gear, thanks for adding that Bender. It does seem like you get more spinning reel for your money vs. casting reels.
Old 07-07-10, 09:59 PM   #19
Cavs1123

I'd have to say a more expensive rod because I need to feel the bites. A nice reel is a plus but if it gets em on the shore, I'm happy!
Old 07-07-10, 10:35 PM   #20
geezer1

Talking

It really depends on what the monkey is saying to me while I'm in the tackle store.... I buy rods for specific applications more than reels for specific applications, so in that regard the rods get the vote.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 11:17 PM   #21
plugsandaxes
BassFishin.Com Member

Having been a guitar player for so long, I've come across this question so many times with things like guitars versus amps, etc. Funny how some things never change - even across the career/hobby spectrum.

Anyway, I'd say (for me) I need a reel to respond up to a certain point. Things like no backplay, a decent levelwind design, decent drag, etc., are important. I say decent, but perhaps should say adequate. If those simple things are in play then the rest of the bells and whistles aren't so important.

A really responsive and sensitive rod with a great backbone is just too good to pass up, though. With so many manners in which a fish can bite, a multitude of cover situations, so many presentations to offer, weather conditions, etc.....a great rod is just really important to me.

So...give me a G Loomis and a Diawa Millionare, if you must. Or whatever reel under 100$ that can function properly.

Someone made a point about it being dependent on conditions in which you're fishing. I can see that being a very viable answer.
plugsandaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 03:09 AM   #22
basshunter21

Thats a real interesting question. I'd have to agree with most of you guys and say the rod is more important. Just being the way I am though I have to have a nice one of both. But my opinion doesnt really mean much because I'm prolly the most ignorant person on here when it comes to bass fishing.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 07:17 AM   #23
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsandaxes View Post
Having been a guitar player for so long, I've come across this question so many times with things like guitars versus amps, etc. Funny how some things never change - even across the career/hobby spectrum.
With you saying this I started thinkin... with guitar equipment, neither is more important than the other... everything in teh chain makes tone from pick to speaker... so thats how it is here... regardless of how cheap or expensive yougo, there is going to be a certain collection of parts that make up exactly what you are looking for.... and as is the case sometimes with guitar equipment, a collection cheap stuff sometimes works out for the best... some records have been recorded with $200 peavey guitars and pignose amps... and then there is Steve Vai and teh million dollar stage...

YOu can have a $1000 combo with line made from megan fox's hair or you can have stren on a freakin zebco combo, and either way may make teh perfect setup wor whoever is holding it...

and i have rambled and i appologize...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 07:42 PM   #24
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For someone like me that is more of a "for fun" fisherman, not in tourneys, a quality long lasting reel is MUCH more important than a cheaper reel on a quality rod, or at least medium quality on both. My main purchase was a Pflueger Trion GX7 spinning reel on matching 7' one piece rod, the combo was around $80 IIRC
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 08:01 PM   #25
Bassboss

I'd go with the rod all the way if we're talking general purpose.

IMO, a good rod is much more important that a good reel. The rod does the the important stuff, the reel just casts and reels, and any 'ol reel can do that!

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-08-10 at 08:08 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.