Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-06, 05:12 PM   #1
North Florida Snake
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Figure this one out.

I am truly stumped with this problem.

I bought a new Nitro 898 with a 150 Optima max in Feb. of this year.

Since the first day on the water if you let go of the steering wheel the boat goes into a HARD right turn. Not a slow right turn, the boat will almost turn on it's self. The right turn is so bad I will not take my 6 year old grandson out on the boat. When I had the boat back at the dealer for the 20 hour service. I told them of the problem and they said that a zinc trim rudder on the bottom of the engine would cure the problem.

Well, it did nothing. Today I took the boat back and left it with them to figure the problem out. I told them as long as it cost's me nothing I would have no problem. Also long as they call me and tell me of the fix before they do it. I even told the service manager that it was a major safety issue and had to be corrected. He even agreeded with me on the safety issue.

Even the service manager at the boat dealer has no idea why the boat is acting like it is.

Seeing that this is my first boat I am totally in a fog.

They plan on putting the boat in the water and running it confirm my problem...I hope they are holding on.

What could be causing this problem?

NFS
North Florida Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 05:45 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

all boats without hydraulic or no-feedback systems will experience a starboard pull.this is because of the engine torque.you can adjust the torque tab only so much.you can't eliminate it,it's the nature of the beast.
bad steering cables will make it worse.the only way to control it is with hydraulic or no-feedback steering.
my boat did the same thing.i put the no-feedback system in and i can do 60+mph no hands and the boat goes in a straight line.i also installed a sting ray fin,but i don't think that helps that problem.i had a hole shot problem and i didn't want to go for a new prop.the fin worked.
Old 07-05-06, 05:50 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

one of my old glastrons did the same thing, I ended up replacing the steering cables, nice sat. job with a few beers crawlin in the boat, but it fixed it
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 06:31 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Snake, I have the same problem with my Nitro 750. Tom's right-it is engine torque that causes then problem. I'm looking into the no-feedback system-the trim tab helps, but doesn't fix it.
Old 07-05-06, 07:08 PM   #5
North Florida Snake
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the feed back.

The service manager said that he may have to install hydraulic steering. My response was, as long as I don't have to pay for it do it.

But I have made my mind up they are going to fix it to my satisfaction or I will trade the boat. And buy what I should of instead of jumping into this boat ownership thing without checking out everything.

I may be taking a trip to Ocala and look at a top of line Ranger.

NFS
Old 07-08-06, 05:41 PM   #6
North Florida Snake
BassFishin.Com Member

Quick update.

Stopped by the boat dealer yesterday and they had taken the boat out and ran it.

And yes I am not crazy, the service manager agreeded with me on the violent right hand turn.

Time will tell what they do to fix it.

NFS
Old 07-09-06, 03:12 AM   #7
adirondack
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a882 w/same motor,same problem,buying aRanger is not going to solve the problem,should have spent the money for hydraulic steering to begin with.Ican't believe the dealer is going to eat that price tag,if he is so inclined let me know,I'll be on my way down.
adirondack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 11:28 AM   #8
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Snake, I have the same problem with my Nitro 750. Tom's right-it is engine torque that causes then problem. I'm looking into the no-feedback system-the trim tab helps, but doesn't fix it.
I'm blessed in that I fish with Reb pretty often. I frequently drive the boat and I can attest to this "syndrome"'s existence. I also fish with another great guy who has the same boat and HE has the problem too, even moreso. Reb has a 115 Merc 2-stroke and my other friend got talked into the 90 4-stroke. I think the weight difference aggravates HIS problem. Too bad, 'cause he's right up there with Reb in the "Nice Guy" ratings...In fact, I can only think of one fellow that's nicer and that would be yours tru...Why is my NOSE getting longer????????

To be frank, I've never encountered such a pronounced torque steer on other boats and I've got lots of wheel-time. It definitely IS a serious safety issue and serves as a reminder to HOOK UP THE *%&#^ KILL SWITCH, as well as don your PFD before you even start 'er up on the trailer.
At first, I blamed the problem on weight distribution (See: Fat-a-- FlyRod in the boat.) but that ain't it...whew!

On the flip side: I've never met a more fishable 17-footer than this model 'Tro. I'd never fished from one before meeting Reb and I'm still dazzled by the boat's performance as a fishing platform.

I'm curious to know if the larger Nitros seem to have this problem to a greater extent than other brand boats of comparable length and beam.

Now, and this does NOT apply to any specific brand, no bashing here: If ANY boat/motor combo evidences this problem the DEALER should be insistent on the inclusion of the safer steering system as part of the package. Further, before the boat is turned over to the new owner, an experienced driver, provided by the dealer, should test-drive and refine the set-up of the combo in order to minimize, so much as possible, this or other handling/safety/performance issues. Then, the dealer should insist that the new owner "learn" his new pride and joy under the tutelage of said expert.

Over the years, I've encountered all too many new boat owners who do NOT have the slightest clue re boat handling, safety, and performance issues. I have had the porridge scared out of me more than once. In fairness, the fright was not always occasioned by the owner's skills, or lack thereof, but often was traceable to poor set-up, maintenance, etc.

Try having the steering lock during an intentional hard right turn in a rig with a 175 shoving her briskly along. It happened to me in a borrowed Hydra-Sport, in the dark, at 0200 hrs, and NO amount of effort would unlock it. Inspection revealed that I was danged lucky 'cause the system was on the verge of total catastrophic failure.

The boat, BTW, was owned by an "expert" who claimed that the steering had been refurbed just weeks before. Riiiiight!
Had it not been for two catfishermen who happened by I'd STILL be out there somewhere, living on an island, with cannibals, cormorants and cottonmouths for "family" (You'd LOVE our kids!)

F.Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 12:39 PM   #9
Rebbasser

I have to give Flyrod credit-this is my first boat and he has taught me a LOT that I would have had no clue otherwise. Not only is he a good fishing partner, he is a good friend, too.
Old 07-09-06, 11:35 PM   #10
FlyRod

Awwwwww....shucks.

Same to you, Aggie!

Gig 'em Boomer! (All purpose)

F.Rod
Loveable Little(ha!) Fuzzball
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 04:01 PM   #11
bassnman30

If you were to get a Ranger, well you know what they say "once you go Ranger, you'll never go back".
High resale value
Won't sink
Stable ride
The bottum line is that it's a Ranger.
Old 07-11-06, 08:45 PM   #12
fishin fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Hate to be so blunt here but I don't care what damn boat you buy if you don't have no-feed back steering or hydraulic steering your gonna have torque to deal with. And the more you trim these beasts up the more torque your gonna have even with the above mentioned systems. I've owned 3 different brands (Skeeter, Hydra-Sport,and past 2 Rangers) and have driven almost every brand out there and they all develop torque. Also don't think just because you have no-feedback or hydraulic that you can turn loose of the wheel or that everything will be fine if something should break in the steering because your a$$ is gonna go hard right I guarantee it. That's why I hook my kill switch up. I don't care if I'm just idling across the river. I've got a so called top of line Ranger 520 DVX with a 225 Merc EFI which has a Sea Star Hydraulic steering system and if you trim this thing up to much you got to haul on it to turn the thing. It's just the nature of them. If you've got to much torque trim it back down some. The only thing hydraulic and no-feedback does is eliminate the pressure you used to have to maintain to steer these things. Although I will say hydraulic does make it easier to steer. The Skeeter I had was a real beast a 17 footer with a 150 merc on a jack plate. The guy I bought it off of had never driven anything high performance wise and after 1 trip out scared the crap outa hisself. I bought it dirt cheap.
fishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 05:12 AM   #13
zooker

aww fool nothing like a bat turn to wake ya up huh??

for my understanding and personal experiance with nitro's -not to mention the reason i did not buy one- was that the bigger faster nitro's. are a hand full till they reach about 60 mph then they get down right scary.. seen this in a couple i have been in. think 1/2 bat turns to the right...

zooker
Old 07-12-06, 05:55 PM   #14
North Florida Snake
BassFishin.Com Member

Quick up date.

Finally had time to get back to the boat dealer.

Let me first say that the store manager and the service manager are in my corner.

Now...Tracker told me to go pound sand. Accept the boat with a MAJOR safety issue and tough luck.

They said that I could pay for the hyd. steering.

My wife wants me to get a lawyer but I don't feel like throwing money down a rat hole.

NFS
Old 07-13-06, 03:14 PM   #15
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

IMO,to add hyd.steering is wasting money.go for the no-feedback.you will get the same results for $350.the only reason to go hyd.instead of NFB is to impress others.
when someone tells me they went to hyd.system i laugh to myself and think what a waste of money.i am not impressed.
now if they say they had the NFB system installed i think,there's a smart guy.i can't understand why any boat company would even offer standard steering on a boat.NFB is about the same price and is such a better system.just my opinion.
and yes i can turn the wheel loose at almost WOT and still maintain control.have done it on numerous occasions.(lighting a smoke,getting something out of the cooler,of just beating up on my partner)
Old 07-14-06, 09:10 PM   #16
fishin fool
BassFishin.Com Member

NFS didn't figure Tracker would do anything for ya and the only reason the dealer is in your corner is because he doesn't want to tick you off. Don't know if you told the dealer this was your first boat or not but he needs his or her a$$ kicked for not explaining everything to you about driving what is considered a high-perf. boat. However the longer your in this game you'll find out that most dealers are only looking to get in your pocket, given there are a few exceptions to the rule. As far as gettinn a lawyer it's definetly waste of time and money unless you want to sue the dealer for failure to warn you, or properly instruct you on the handling and how to drive this type boat. But if they gave you an owners manual and it's explained there then they've got an out. I'd suggest putting in a No-feedback system since all your running is a 150 or unless you have some issues like I (arthritis in both shoulders) hydraulic does turn easier it's just not as quick. Especially if your runniin a 225 or 250 hp motor. Also I did make a partially wrong statement earlier. You can turn loose of the wheel with NFB steering I just don't recommend it, because nothing is failproof and I have no desire to not be hanging onto something if that boat goes hard right at 69 mph. Also the other statement was correct though NFB steering will not reduce steering torque only the constant torque you have to maintain while driving without NFB.
fishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 09:04 PM   #17
North Florida Snake
BassFishin.Com Member

Adnother update.

Service Manager from Travis Boating Center called me yesterday and said they would put hyd. steering on for cost....$ 850.00.

Told him I would let him know.

I am in the process of buying into a 26 1/2 foot Edgewater center console boat comes with twin 225 four stroke Yamadogs. Can hold 12 people and the boat is unsinkable.

If the deal works I can't wait to drive by the Tracker store and show them what they missed selling.

NFS

www.ewboats.com

Adnother quick note.

Just got a call from the Edgewater boat dealer. Deal with thru.

Instead of 26 1/2 foot got a 24 1/2 with twin 150 4 strokes on it.

I will drop this pos Nitro off on Saturday and pick up the new boat on Tuesday hopefully.

I am really happy to see this Nitro go away and start doing some serious saltwater fishing.

NFS

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.