Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-24-06, 04:59 PM   #1
bassnoob
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What is a cheap boat?

I am looking for a real cheap boat like under 1500$. I'v seen some that have a flat deck with a little electric motor but i dont no what they are called. Anyone wanna help me out?
bassnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 05:15 PM   #2
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

check bass pro shops they have some there as well as sometimes sams club etc get them in earlier in the year. Also check the adds at your local bait shops (mom and pop shops are a bit better for these things)

Or craigslist.com...

FYI.
Old 07-24-06, 05:35 PM   #3
bassnoob
BassFishin.Com Member

I need the name of a boat with a little electric motor and a flat standing surface kinf of boat. I dont have alot of cash and i want a flat topped boat. I saw one that was totally flat with one seat. What is it called?
Old 07-24-06, 05:54 PM   #4
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

You mean a Jon Boat? I've got a club where we all use these
Dunno where you are from, but if it's anywhere near NC, look up A.K. MacCullum for boats, they have everything. Some Wal-Marts carry Jon Boats, I got my 14ft. Smokercraft there.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 06:43 PM   #5
bassnoob
BassFishin.Com Member

how much was your smokercraft?
Old 07-24-06, 07:49 PM   #6
dampeoples

$750 (I forgot the discount I got, but it had a dent on the gunnel, so they knocked some off, not even noticeable), here is a picture of it, and Here is AK Mccallum, even if you can't purchase from them, get a catalog or check prices online.
Old 07-24-06, 08:16 PM   #7
bassnoob
BassFishin.Com Member

pretty sic boat u got their. Thats the one i was talking about. I got a couple of questions. What is the boat brandnew run around cash wise, and do they come with motors? do u have to use a hitch?
Old 07-24-06, 08:25 PM   #8
dampeoples

Thanks, I re did the boat this past Winter, didn't redo the picture though, I'll get to that soon, perhaps

Retail I guess the boat (1436) would be around $900, it's pretty thick aluminum. You can get them smaller if you want, the 1436 is 14Ft. long, 36" bottom.
No, they do not come with motors, small gas powered motors run roughly $100 per horsepower, and electric motors can be had from $100 something on up.
A hitch? No, these are flat bottom boats, you can slide them in the bed of a truck, depending on the size of the boat, mine cannot, for instance. My boat sits on a trailer. The boat new weighed 185, plus all the stuff I put in it, I figure it weighs 350, probably more. The trailer probably weighs 150, plus another 250 for gear, and you are able to tow this with just a bumper, no need for a hitch.
Old 07-24-06, 08:34 PM   #9
bassnoob
BassFishin.Com Member

what kind of motor do u have? How much was your trailer? What kind of trailer do u have? Were did u get your boat used?

Last edited by bassnoob; 07-24-06 at 09:17 PM. Reason: have to add somethin
Old 07-24-06, 09:23 PM   #10
dampeoples

I have a Motorguide transom mount on the rear, 54# thrust, and a Motorguide Tracker series foot control on the bow, the combo pushes me around 4.5MPH GPS speed.
The trailer I got used for $300, they sell trailers at AK Mccallum, look there for price ideas. I have no idea what brand it is, it was built for a canoe, and to carry 800lbs. I fitted rollerbunks on it.
I got my boat at Wal-Mart, it wasn't used, just had a small dent, not very noticeable, but enough to get it for $750. To get a used jon boat, look at craigslist.org, these thing are maintenance free and last a lifetime, so they have a very high resale value.

As far as motors, the boat is rated for a 20HP, I had a new Johnson 15 that pushed me and a hefty buddy 21, sold that. I now have access to an old Johnson Sea Horse 9.9 that pushed me and a hefty buddy 12-15, depending on trim.
Old 07-24-06, 09:35 PM   #11
bassnoob
BassFishin.Com Member

Where did u get your sterling carpet decks? And how much were they?
Old 07-24-06, 09:41 PM   #12
dampeoples

Well, not sure what you mean by Sterling carpet, I'm Sterling, Sterling Peoples
I used 13/16" plywood, cut it to fit, made a support system under it, then put the carpet on myself, gluing the middle with the 3M spray glue, and pulling the edges over and using a staplegun to tack it down on the bottom.
The decking in the middle is 1/2", the boat supports were sufficene enough to give that support, so I didn't need to make a support, but other boat manufacturers have wider spaced beams, I lucked out.
Old 07-24-06, 09:46 PM   #13
bassnoob
BassFishin.Com Member

The Breslin Gang fishes from a 1998 14' Smokercraft. Sterling added carpeted decks front and back, as well as built in tackle storage and a battery box.

I thought the carpeted decks were made by a company called Sterling
Old 07-24-06, 09:53 PM   #14
dampeoples

Ha! Nah, when I wrote that, I assumed that people would know it was me
Old 07-24-06, 09:56 PM   #15
bassnoob
BassFishin.Com Member

About the motor i want a motor that is under 150$. I am just a 15 year old kid and got around 1000$. So i dont got a hole lot of cash to spend on this boat.

What is a livewell?

Last edited by bassnoob; 07-24-06 at 09:58 PM. Reason: frogot somethin
Old 07-24-06, 10:19 PM   #16
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

a live well is essentially a tank of water with an arerater (SP?) and it is an alternative to a stringer or bucket
Old 07-24-06, 10:50 PM   #17
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Noob,
Go used, not new. Thats what almost everyone else does when they are younger, they buy used. For $1500 you should be able to find what you want if you check the newspaper ads and keep an eye out around town, used boats are common. There is a 12 foot boat with 2 trolling motors in my area for $400 right now, you can get them cheap. Outboards are a little more tricky, but they can be found also although you need to make sure it runs.
Old 07-24-06, 11:31 PM   #18
dampeoples

You can get a 36# transom mount Motorguide for $145 from Bass Pro, Wal-Mart als carries some motors.
If you are tournament fishing, you'll need a livewell, anything from one built into the boat to a cooler with an aerator setup. If you're not tournament fishing, and want to keep fish, place them on a stringer or in a cooler

If you want a decked boat, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 1436, it won't be stable enough to stand on.

You might want to go used, especially once you consider boat license fees, a battery or two, and all the small things that add up quickly, like a paddle, a plug, lifejackets, etc, etc.
Old 07-25-06, 11:09 AM   #19
bassnoob
BassFishin.Com Member

i was looking at www.akmccallumco.com, the website u told me about. Can u buy a boat from them? It woulnt let u click on the boat to buy it or anything. Do i have to call to order it?

My dad has a life jackets paddles and all that stuff cuz we own a canoe
Old 07-25-06, 04:19 PM   #20
dampeoples

I don't think they do mail order, but you can check, give them a call. They are located in Fayetteville, NC if you are close to them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.