Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-07, 02:51 PM   #1
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to JORDAN54
Default Prop

I am wondering if you guys would know how much top end speed I would lose going from a 25 pitch 4 blade prop to a 24 pitch 4 blade prop.

Thanks ahead of time.
JORDAN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 06:29 PM   #2
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What HP motor do you currently run and what are your RPM's at WOT?
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 07:16 PM   #3
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

200 hp. I run betwenn 5400 to 5600 rpm's.
Old 02-06-07, 11:17 AM   #4
HOG Ranger

I am certainly not the resident guru here but those RPM's sound like they are about where you would want them and don't know if changing the pitch is going to be of any benefit for you. Just curious, why do you want to change it?
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 12:49 PM   #5
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

i know a decent amount about props....and have the same question.

to answer the question anyway I would need to know a few things....first off what is the top speed and at what RPM? 200 rpm difference (5400 - 5600) is a large difference when you are talking prop pitch. That's like 1" of pitch on the blade so knowing what it exactly is would help. (aka 68mph @ 5550rpm)

The other factor is the 24" the same type of prop? If not that will effect it as well. If you are going from a 25" trophy to a 24" Turbo 2+2 it will run above your redline (assuming you are at 5600) but a 24" Trophy may just push 5750 or so.

I guess the most important question is what are trying to change?
Old 02-06-07, 06:39 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am guessing he is looking for a better hole shot.. 24p would tend to spin faster -higher rpm-.. but more info is needed..

what boat is it on and who makes the moter just added to the above questions...

zooker
Old 02-07-07, 11:40 AM   #7
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok I don't know the exact rpm's. I would love to take out my boat and test it, but it is 20 below zero and I am kinda stuck in the house until spring. I normally go about 67 mph top speed. I have a 19ft basscat with a 200hp optimax. The reason I am asking is not for the top speed but just for the fact that my 25 pitch has a nick in it and I'm trying to decide if I want to fix it or buy one that my buddy owns. The one he owns is the 24 pitch 4 blade prop. From what I know it is a custom prop from a local shop that has a special rake to it and a cup. That is all I know about the prop. The one I have is a mercury 4 blade 25 pitch prop. The local shop says he can take a prop and put a rake on it and cup it and get some more top end out it. Does anyone know if this true? Or is he full of %*!. He wants about three hundred dollars for this to get done.
Old 02-07-07, 11:48 AM   #8
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

About the only way you are going to be able to tell is if you run your buddies prop. With it being a custom work type of job then it could run different than it's actually pitched to anyway. I have a 23" Tempest that turns more like a 24" because it has a lot of trailing edge cup on it for stern lift. So run it in the spring and see where the RPM's fall.

As far as more cup adding more top end....more than likely it will. Adding cup will act like added pitch and adding cup also cuts into the water more causing it to bite better and raise the bow up further out of the water thus leaving less hull in the water.....equals less drag. So yes it will run faster in most situations. 300 seems steep to me....Mark Croxton will do it for less and the work is out of this world.
Old 02-07-07, 11:54 AM   #9
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

I am new this forum. So how do I contact him?

Thanks for all the info.
Old 02-07-07, 06:34 PM   #10
boater

the best thing to do in my opinion (and it is just that) is to take a GPS unit out with you thow it in the boat and try both props I do not think theree would be a lot of difference in that you will gain RPM with a smaller prop.you could feizably gain speed.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 07:24 PM   #11
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

this is marks order form and price list ..

2006 Price List
REPAIR
3 Blade 4 Blade 5 Blade
Satin or brush finish props $90.00
$115.00

Polish finish props $125.00
$150.00
$182.00

SST V4 and smaller to 13.9" $75.50

SST V6 14" Plus $95.50

Blueprint
$175.00
$195.00
$215.00

Repitch (with repair & blueprint) $40.00
$45.00
$50.00

Repitch Only $125.00
$150.00
$182.00

Add PVS holes $30.00
$35.00
$40.00

Add Dual PVS holes $60.00
$70.00
$80.00

Add Cup $25.00
$25.00
$25.00

Add Cup (with Repair) $15.00
$15.00
$15.00

Add Exhaust holes $40.00
$40.00
$40.00

Add Exhaust holes (with Repair) $15.00
$15.00
$15.00

Change from Satin to Polished Finish $65.00
$65.00
$65.00

Weld Diffuser Ring $15.00
$15.00
$15.00

zooker
Old 02-07-07, 08:21 PM   #12
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

317-398-9294

If the current prop has a nick in it (assuming its a decent one if you're worried about it) then I would opt to get it fixed. Trophy (Mercury 4 blade) props are about the best running on a loaded bass boat if you are interested in keeping the 4 blade. He can probably fix the nick and add cup for less than you will buy another.
Old 02-09-07, 09:15 AM   #13
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

JORDAN

Your present prop has you running right where you need to be in the rpm range. As stated a 24 would give you a slightly better holeshot all things being eual( same prop that is just different pitch) When a boat is propped correctly it will be still pulling as close as possible to the motors usable rpms. That translates into still pushing as close to 5500 rpms for most motors. I personally would get your present prop cleaned up. If the ear of the prop isnt really chewed up just dinged a good prop man can do this with little cost. One thing you might consider is having your prop blueprinted and balanced while your having it redone. The improvement is really worth the money. What this does is take your prop and balance the whole assembly after they make sure that all the blades are 25p. Your motor will be happy as well as you. 99 percent of the time after doing this you will see a improvement in holeshot and topend speed. Very few props that are new are balance and blueprinted from the factory.
Old 02-09-07, 01:40 PM   #14
Jackl

JORDAN,
I would call D.A.H. Custom PRO-Pellers (262-534-4440) and talk to John. He will need to know what brand of boat, length, any setback, brand and HP of motor. They will blueprint your prop to fit your boat and motor.
I have had a couple props rebuilt by John, and could not believe the difference. D.A.H. is who does the prop work for Bass and Walleye Boats magazine when they are tweaking thier boats for performance.
I am wondering why you are running a 25 pitch 4 blade? I run a 26 pitch 4 blade on my 19 ft Ranger with a 200 HP Merc and can bump the rev limiter at WOT. I absolutely would not go to a 24 pitch on a 200 HP. I used to run a 24 pitch on my Merc 175 and could over-rev if I was not watching.

JackL
Old 02-09-07, 05:27 PM   #15
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

Jackl,

I have had a prop done By D.A.H Pro-pellars. Your are right he is very good and thorough. I talked to him the other day and it was a minumum of $300 to work my prop. Not real sure it needed that much work done to it though.
Old 02-09-07, 11:57 PM   #16
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

I would try Mark or Props Plus LTD if you are looking for something cheaper.
http://www.propsplusltd.com/

I had a few props worked on at Props Plus and they did nice work and are cheaper than a lot of the bigger names. Just a thought if you want to save a little.
Old 02-10-07, 08:04 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl View Post
JORDAN,
I would call D.A.H. Custom PRO-Pellers (262-534-4440) and talk to John. He will need to know what brand of boat, length, any setback, brand and HP of motor. They will blueprint your prop to fit your boat and motor.
I have had a couple props rebuilt by John, and could not believe the difference. D.A.H. is who does the prop work for Bass and Walleye Boats magazine when they are tweaking thier boats for performance.
I am wondering why you are running a 25 pitch 4 blade? I run a 26 pitch 4 blade on my 19 ft Ranger with a 200 HP Merc and can bump the rev limiter at WOT. I absolutely would not go to a 24 pitch on a 200 HP. I used to run a 24 pitch on my Merc 175 and could over-rev if I was not watching.

JackL
Not stealing the post but since you posted this I wanna point out something that I have seen many times and the same thing has been said before. You stated that on your rig the 24 was pushing the limiter. That goes to show ya that every rig is different. I've been setting up rigs it seems forever and can tell ya that there are so many variables that come into play when propping a boat for optimum performance with "their setup". Weight, hull variations, amount of setback,lower unit ratio's etc..etc.. I personally have seen 2 identical boats and motors actually need different props, though not common it does happen. Your reference to DAH and Spego's to Mark are GREAT. They are TOP notch company's, as well is Ron Hill. They have done just about every imaginable combination out there. I have a prop guy that is great and inexpensive but not well known and most people want a company that is well known and has a long list of follower's. I just happened to have seen this persons work and decided to give him a try. He charges $100 for a 4 blade to clean them up and make sure that all blades are symetrical and repolishes them. He as well can do any blade. He took a prop of mine (a long ear chopper) did a bullet cut on it and balaned her out. On the rig I was running at the time I picked up 4mph on the top and the holeshot and midrange became awsome.
Old 02-10-07, 09:24 AM   #18
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I don't need any work done....but could I get that guys info Laser? I would be interested in giving him a chance. I like saving money.
Old 02-10-07, 09:30 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

Sure can bud. His name is Randy and he is located in south Missouri. Cant find his phone number right now. I have it back in crossett (my other home) but his email addy is arrr@cebridge.net. Tell him I sent ya. He is a great person to deal with.
Old 02-10-07, 09:56 PM   #20
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks I added him to my contacts. I wil look him up when I consider prop work.
Old 02-10-07, 09:57 PM   #21
1FASTLASER

No problem budd. I thought I had his phone number here in Flippin but it must be at the trailer in Crossett. When I get back tommorrow I will find it and post it up fer ya.
Old 02-11-07, 11:39 PM   #22
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the info 1fastlaser. I am going send him an email. thanks again.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.