Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-07, 03:18 PM   #1
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Electrical help needed please

Good afternoon BBC. I have a dc190 nitro, and everything has worked great from the start.
Yesterday I bring the boat home from winter storage and I pop in the batteries.
2 troller and a cranker.
2 trollers work great, hold a charge, all that good stuff.
Here is the problem im facing.
When I switch on the main power switch, it turns on. Access light turns on, and the fish finder on the console fires up just fine. The livewell works, recirculate works, bilge works. Everything looks great.
Until I try to use the nav anchor lights. The light on the switch to turn them on lights up, but the lights do not. Also, the horn does not work. Also the trim on the motor does not work. And the front fish finder does not work. (when I hit the power button on the front fish finder i hear a clicking).
When I try to trim the motor I hear a clicking as well, like it is a dead battery. But most everything else works just fine, so I think the battery is good.

THere are 4 positive wire connections running to the cranking battery, and 3 black negatives. Could one of these wires be controlling the trim, front fish finder, horn, nav lights?
Any suggestions would be great. Its driving me up the wall.
And I switched out all the leads, with new terminal connectors just in case. the leads are all clean.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 05:01 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

umm we aint the bbc hoss..

zooker
Old 03-24-07, 05:21 PM   #3
mymomisbecky

there are just as many knowledgeable people here as anywhere else. Im just trying to get as many answers as possible.

i work in IT. when we have issues, we post on a lot of forums, each forum has their own knowledge base with unique scenarios. I find no issue with trying here.
Old 03-24-07, 05:41 PM   #4
JB

have ya checked for blown fuses?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 06:26 PM   #5
crab

sounds like you have a bad switch or wires loose from the switch, If it has power to it(the light) but nothing works it could be your switch wont close letting power through the switch. I would try going around the switch to see if those things work.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 06:29 PM   #6
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

If it's clicking when you turn the stuff on, you probably have something grounded, and the relay or breaker is tripping. Try unhooking each device one at the time, until you get full power.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 06:30 PM   #7
zooker

is it just your trim switch on the moter? or is it all of the trim switches..
the lights are likly rust either in the post-male end-or the holes -female end-
check to see if there has been a mouse in your boat...they may have chewed the wires into..
depthfinders don't normally make a clickin noise unless there is a wire arcing..

zooker
Old 03-24-07, 07:12 PM   #8
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

MMIB,
You may have some corrosion either in the switch connections or in the fuse connections. I would start by pulling the fuses one by one and checking them for corrosion. If you find any, clean them with steel wool and grease them with dielectric grease (Can be found at auto parts stores). Then I would go thru the same routine with the wires on the switches. Have you checked the ground wire ON THE MOTOR? I have to agree with ZOOKER (as much as I hate to admit it) but I have never heard a depthfinder make a clicking noise.

JackL
Old 03-24-07, 07:27 PM   #9
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

He didn't say the depthfinder itself is clicking, he says that when that switch is pressed, or when the trim switch is pressed, he hears a clicking. Figure out where the clicking is coming from, check there.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 08:00 PM   #10
mymomisbecky

First off, im having trouble even finding the fuses haha. I bought the boat used and I guess never had to find it
The only lights on the switches that are funky are the nav anchor. Main power, fresh water, recirculate water, access, and bilge are all good. The nav anchor lights on the switch turn on, just dont light the dials. and when I hit the trim from the steering wheel, gear selector, or on the motor itself I get the clicking noise from the MP Pro auto charger (charges while motor is on) and the fish finder in the front is not working. very peculiar indeed.
I will try some of the suggestions. thanks for the help thisfar folks.
Old 03-24-07, 08:07 PM   #11
mymomisbecky

actually DP, there is clicking when i try trim from the Mp pro charger box. when I plug in the front fish finder and hold down power i get a slight clicking as well. not from the charger, but from the fish finder itself. yet the other fish finder works great. im working on some things , but fiberglass boats Suck for troubleshooting.
Old 03-24-07, 08:24 PM   #12
mymomisbecky

took the mp pro system out of the loop just to see if that might be it. its not.
still cant find any dang fuses around haha.

and yes, the depthfinder is clicking, inside its housing, not in the wiring in the hull or anything, the actul physical fish finder'/
Old 03-24-07, 09:31 PM   #13
lizardsrule

All the above advice sounds good to me. I would also check the light connectors.(female part you stick the light pole into) Many times they get water, and corrode, and will short out a bunch of things. Try charging the battery if you haven't already. A bad battery can do things I would've never imagined. And "FIND THE FUSE BOX"! (Look under the steering console first) Or at least the inline fuses, and check them. And I hate mice, they can and do make a mess of things as already stated. Electrical problems are just time consuming sometimes to figure out, but it aint rocket science, trace down the wires. I would also disconnect one of the leads to the battery one at a time, and see if one of them in particular is the problem source. If you find that to be the case, then of course you know which one to trace.

Lizards
Old 03-24-07, 09:57 PM   #14
mymomisbecky

im still working on it of course.
well, the nav lights work, just not the lighted dials on the console (that is very possibly a fuse).
the trim still clicks. the power checks out ALL the way to it.

so the only things messed right now are the lighted dials, horn *both possibly fuses), trim and front fish finder.
still no luck finding the fuse box. seems like a no brainer, only so many places it could be. its not under either console. any storage box, the back. ive scoured the thing haha.
and lizards. the batteries all test out fine on the volt meter, and the 334c lowrance on the console works, so I know the battery is working. and im testing through to the motor just fine.

i know this isnt rocket science, and im a smart guy (insert laugh here) , i may just have to take it in.
Old 03-24-07, 10:01 PM   #15
HOG Ranger

It sure sounds like you have a bad fuse. My fuse box is located in one of my rod lockers but I have seen them just about everywhere on different brands of boats.
Old 03-24-07, 10:18 PM   #16
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

reb has a nitro...where's your fuse box reb?
do you have a side panel with the switches?...the fuses should(should,not always)be near the switch panel..look harder
Old 03-25-07, 01:36 PM   #17
mymomisbecky

Well, i figured out the problem. It wasnt a weak battery, although its possible it is on the weak side. The wire that runs up to the front for the fish finder had gotten chewed on (F;in rodents), it wasnt all the way through, just enough to peel some skin off, and that bare spot just happened to be touching abut the only bold in the boat.
I basically had to shread the entire boat looking for it. but im up and running now .
Thanks for all the suggestions, and of course one of them ended up being right
thanks again
Ryan

p.s. still never found a fuse box. im convinced it is like sasquatch, its a myth
Old 03-25-07, 04:20 PM   #18
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
check to see if there has been a mouse in your boat...they may have chewed the wires into..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymomisbecky View Post
The wire that runs up to the front for the fish finder had gotten chewed on (F;in rodents), it wasnt all the way through, just enough to peel some skin off, and that bare spot just happened to be touching abut the only bolt in the boat

not a lucky guess lets just say voice of experiance..

i think i also know where the fuse block is. your going to love this. open driver side rear hatch remove compartment liner. see if it is not inside there.. driver side is logical and you say it aint under the consle.. mine is a lil black box with a wire harness plug into it under the consule.

remermber they hire circus freaks to do the wiring in there boats -i swear to god-

zooker
Old 03-31-07, 02:42 PM   #19
1FASTLASER

Just a little word of experience talking here. Anytime you are having electrical problems with a device start at the device first and make sure it is working. Do this with a couple of temporary wires hooked to a battery to make sure its working. Then work back to the switch and/or switches. Not only will you usually find bad connections that you can fix right then but you take out all the variables.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.