Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-08, 09:18 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Bass Boats

This is a pretty broad title, so let me explain a bit....

If I were to buy a bass boat, what brand would you lead me towards? I am looking to spend around 30-45K, and am open to all ideas. I want something around 200 HP. What brand engine would you reccommend?

That's all I'll say due to some biased ideas/people. Feel free to throw all ideas out there.

-Lunk-
Old 03-23-08, 01:51 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

chances are people will tell you whatever brand they own is the best ( that is probably why they chose that brand ). i really like my ranger but zooker isn't a fan. he loves his stratos and while i'm not really crazy over them they are alright in my opinion. but to answer your question, if i were to buy another boat and it wasn't gonna be my ranger i would choose a basscat hands down. good fast ride. i would also choose the 200 optimax, but would really look into the vmax series 2.
Old 03-23-08, 02:38 AM   #3
WTL

Is this a hypothetical?
Old 03-23-08, 10:38 AM   #4
bcklash

I agree with c-rig, people will pitch their boats. IMHO about all new bass boats are nice. Some have speed, some have comfort, some have storage and some have all listed above. I would suggest checking them all out in person. As for the engine, any of the top brands do a good job. My boat, mine and the bassinbandit togather is a 1994 Dyna Trak. 18'6" with a 175 Evinrude. I will tell you that we've have really enjoyed fixing it up the way we want it. Just yesterday we rewired the trailer with led lights. It's not new but we love her. LUNKER MY POINT IS THINK ABOUT BUYING A USED BOAT AND PUT YOUR HEART IN IT.
Old 03-23-08, 05:25 PM   #5
MIbasser

LL, any boat in this price range is going to be great and fast. But it's a Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Toyota thing.... They are all going to do about the same thing. But something to look at: How long of a boat do you want? What are you pulling this boat with? Where are you going to store it in the winter or when not in use? What type of water are you going to be on?

So, your 45K will put a 21' boat with a 250hp engine on the back, but if you have a small car/truck good luck pulling it. You'll be spending another 35K on a new truck. If it won't fit in the garage where are you going to keep it?

Keep some of those things in mind... But what I've heard; Rangers & Champions are really good on big water (Erie & St. Clair). My 2cents.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 06:09 PM   #6
WTL

The main thing that scares me is gas. Someone could give me a brand new TR-21 with a 250 and I would not be able to hardly use it. Gas would kill me. If someone gave me that boat, I'm selling it, going used and buying stock in a gas company with whats leftover.

Lunk, you arent doing bad with the boat you got. When you get out there on the ramps, and get that boat rolling, you will be amazed at the amount of positive comments you will get from guys driving fiverglass rigs. They will be jealous. My Dad gets comments at the ramp every time he goes.
Old 03-23-08, 06:59 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

yeah lunk my boat has a 48 gallon tank. with gas at $3.00 a gallon that is $1.44 to fill her up. but i very seldom have more than a half tank in her because she is a lot faster on a half than she is on full and handles a lot different too.
Old 03-23-08, 07:00 PM   #8
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I know, WTL, but I was just intersted as to what everyone thought if I were to buy one.

You're right though, we did do a lot of work to 'er this Winter. I just wish it had about a 12 or 15 HP, instead of the 5.5.

-Lunk-
Old 03-23-08, 07:50 PM   #9
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

if it is ratedfor that a new or newer motor is alot less than 35K
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 08:08 PM   #10
WTL

Lunk, look at craigslist every day. When a 15 comes up on the cheap, tell your Dad. Its as easy as that. Then sell the current motor if the one you buy works good.
Old 03-23-08, 08:08 PM   #11
bamabassman

i have had a ranger (looong time ago), recently had a stratos, and now have a cajun. non were new when bought. but i say that ranger is the best so far. folks have said that ranger has changed now from the 82 model i had, dunno. stratos is a very good boat in my opion, as well as nitro, procraft, triton, and bullit. the rides are very similiar to me, except for bullit. to me a bullit is too light and rough riding (bumpy), in choppy water. so i would have to say that you need to go to a dealer and take a test run, if the dealer says no. don't buy his boat. no matter what the price is. if i am gonna spend 40 grand on a boat, i am gonna take it out first. it is like buying a car. test drive it first. then decide for yourself.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 09:54 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'm still waiting for the Can of Worms picture......

BB
Old 03-23-08, 10:00 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

i have heard that the newer Zseries rangers aren't all they were cracked up to be, but that is just what i heard. they are rough riding suckers though.
Old 03-28-08, 09:13 AM   #14
Bender

Lunk, get some time fishing with a club as a nonboater and then you will get a chance to fish out of many boats. I got lucky and love my boat, but it would have been nice to compare some more.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 10:50 AM   #15
woody

Hey Lunk, another thought to keep in mind would be what it cost to keep this boat afloat? Bank notes, boat registration, fuel, rig to pull with. And do I have the resources to make this possible. Dont get in a hurry, think it through first. Like they say timing is everything.

I would also like to give a Shout out to to all of You!!!
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 11:03 AM   #16
Wishing2BFishing

If you have a bunch of good rivers for smallies, you might want to consider the idea of purchasing a boat that would be more suitable for rivers. Remember, you can always take a river boat on a lake but you cannot always take a standard fiberglass bass boat on a river.

For what it is worth, I recently put a down payment on an aluminium G3 with a tunnel hull and jet outboard. I am sure that many members will laugh at this choice but for me, it makes sense. In my opinion, many rivers are not as highly pressured as our lakes. There is a lot of great fish in them and not too many that have boats that can get them there when the water is low.

Just my two cents . . .
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 11:51 AM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If I was going to get a boat, I'd like Bass Tracker for the reason you said. It is like a cross between a bass boat and a deep-V boat.

If I could afford a bass boat, I'd definately go with a Nitro. And like said, IF I COULD AFFORD ONE, I'd want to get the Z-9

BB
Old 03-28-08, 12:07 PM   #18
weidner21
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to weidner21 Send a message via Yahoo to weidner21

Get yourself a Skeeter!
weidner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 08:42 PM   #19
flfireman

I don't own any glass boats. Have looked at and ridden in a bunch of them. Im actually liking the new Nitro Z hulls. For 21 and some change the Z7 is a nice boat and the 150 Merc is a lot easier on the wallet and the gas pump.
Old 03-30-08, 07:27 AM   #20
1FASTLASER

Lunker I have been dealing wit botes along time so I look at them a little different than what some folks do. The boat in particular that you are speaking of..............one in the 30-40k range with at least 200hp is actaully pretty easy to pick out. The only descision that has to be made is which CUSTOM boat builder you are going to go with. Of course in my mind there is only 3 that come to mind. All 3 are very capable of outgunning ANYTHING on the water. There are a couple others that should be on my list but as far as fishability I dont care for them. They are in fact faster than my list but there deck layout doesnt suit me. My list is Bullet,Stroker and Norriscraft. All custom boats that are built one at a time by people that actuallly build one like they are building it for themselves. They will fly with 200hp and will run on ANY water.............skinny deep smooth or rough and they will best anything out there ecxept the cadillac of course the Allison and a couple others which you probably have never even heard of. The shadow is one, a moodcraft is another storm a couple others but they are very expensive and take forever to get built. Anyways thats my .02 worth.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.