Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-08, 11:22 PM   #1
Hook'em-AND-Cook'em
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jack Plate/RPM ??????

I'm new too the "BIG" bass boats. Recently traded a 16' Alumaweld w/ a 40Hp Yamaha to aTriton Tr-186 w/ a 150hP MERCURY XR6. Both boat and motor are a 2004. Here's my question: The boat has a manual jackplate. First time out on it, the front lifted to over 45 degree angle taking off, took a long time to level and plane out, and it sounded as if the prop came out of the water for a second or two. Took off trimmed all the way the down. Then after plaining, hit a very small wave and the front end came up and down and up and down, etc. Almost threw me and my rider out. Went home and dropped jackplate about 1/2" and it handles waves much much better. The front end still lifts high but not nearly as bad and it still takes a min to plane out, and the prop still sounds out of water for a sec or two. The "bullet" on the lower unit is about a 1/4" to 1/2" below bottom of the boat, motor trimmed down. Is this not below enough and should I lower the jackplate more? Speed tops out about 54-55mph gps. I have around 13 to 15 psi water pressure. And max rpm wot plained out is 5000 to 5100 rpm. I've read this motor should max out at 5600. I believe the prop is a Tempest 23" pitch, which i think is correct for this boat. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.
Hook'em-AND-Cook'em is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.